iOS interface (help me get started again)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Majkel, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Majkel

Majkel SS.org Regular

preface
    Hey guys,
    after having had my guitars in the closet for a few years, the itch is starting to (slowly) come back. I sold off virtually all my physical gear over the years, so what I'm looking to get into is using my iPhone as a modeler and low-cost method instead.

I searched, but found it difficult to separate what's current, and what's legacy recommendations, so I figured I'd bother you all with a brand new thread.

ACTUAL QUESTION
    So I need an interface (iOS compatible, about $100) and apps where I can play through headphones or monitors and use Spotify on the same device/headphones while playing (so level mixing would be nice here). I have no need for recording or "studio level" anything.

I last tried this out several years ago, and Jamup was "king of the hill" back then, so if you have the time I'd love some recommendations or statements on "what's what" in 2017/18

Thanks for any feedback and input!

2. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I use AmpliTube on my OS X laptop. It's probably a very similar codebase for iOS. $10 gets you started. IDK what's in the base package vs in-app purchases, but the licensed Boogie Marks are killer on the OS X, I assume the same on iOS.

Majkel likes this.
  3. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Yeah running the iRig, iRig HD, or iRig HD2 with the Amplitube app will pretty much cover all your bases tone wise and hardware wise while keeping you around your budget.

Majkel likes this.
  4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I have both the original iRig, and the newer iRig HD 2.

Skip the original iRig that plugs into the headphone jack. They can have some pretty bad crosstalk/feedback issues, especially if you use high gain stuff in GarageBand.

The iRig HD 2 is well worth the purchase. Very much just "plug and play", and it comes with Amplitube bundled in.....

Majkel likes this.
  5. Majkel

Majkel SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies, guys. iRig HD 2 it is. I must confess I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I hadn't even considered my laptop instead of the phone; that should work even better!