Interface question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Cadavuh, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Cadavuh

Cadavuh Bounce The ....

Im want to start some home recordings pretty soon and ive decided to go with a presonus interface. whats the difference between a firebox and a firestudio besides the number of channels? im going to be programing the drums and just recording guitar/bass so is spending that extra 250$ gonna help me at all?

2. damigu

damigu stay tuned

yep, the only difference is number of inputs/outputs.

if you're certain that you don't want/need more ins/outs, then you'll be fine with the firebox.
    my friend bought a firebox to use while he traveled around in asia and it's served him very well.

3. CynicEidolon

CynicEidolon And still he waits..

Well, there are a few other things beside the I/O's. Look at the midi/spdif port. It's a serial connection. Not your typical ones. Also, the Pre's in that thing are not very good. I won't say they suck, but from what I've heard through them, they just don't hold their ground against the XMAX pre's in the Firestudio stuff. Also, it doesn't have ADAT I/o's which I HAVE to have since I'm getting the RME RayDAT card soon. :p

4. damigu

damigu stay tuned

the firebox comes with a cable to plugs into that 9 pin serial port that has 4 dongles (standard 5 pin MIDI in and out, and RCA S/PDIF in and out).
    they made it a serial port for the sake of compactness, since having 2 MIDI jacks on the unit would have to increase its size by almost 50%.

i'm fairly certain the OP isn't concerned with MIDI, S/PDIF, or ADAT compatibility since it sounds like he's only looking for a few line and mic channels direct to PC.

i disagree about the pre-amps, though. the ones in the firebox *ARE* very good. not the best, but easily better than anything else in the price range.
    (on a side note, i didn't know the firestudio had different pre-amps until now--the firebox has the same pres as were in the firepod/fp10, but i guess they upgraded them when recently when switching to the firestudio line)