Insomnia sucks.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by distressed_romeo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

The title says it all. It's especially frustrating as I have a seminar tomorrow, and I've already missed one this week.:(

2. Awakened Sleeper

Awakened Sleeper SS.org Regular

Yep, you are absolutely correct. I've had long-term insomnia for about 8 years now, hence my user-name. I keep hallucunating at work, but the bosses think I'm lying. It's like being permanently drunk but without the fun :(

3. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

yeah it does....i used to have it really bad...going to bed around 2 AM and taking an hour or two to fall asleep

i still never feel like i get enough sleep

4. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

That's happenned to me before. I've often found the only way to get to things early in the morning is to stay up all night and sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

5. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

I usually can't sleep a wink, but for some reason I'm insanely sleepy right now.

6. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Try some Valerian root?

7. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

I'm going to have to dissagree because it has allowed me to get alot more practice time in.

It blows major ass when it finally catches up with you. I just had a 4 day weekend and I ended up sleeping for the entirety of most of those days.

8. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Anything stressing you? I find exercising will also help.

9. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

I just had a fantastic sleep of about 2 hours... I'm up for the day now. :(

10. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Constant problem for me as well.
    I teach from 3pm to 9pm, and I find it really hard to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. I constantly drift towards 2am, 3am, 4am, or 5am for a getting to bed time. And that just makes the next day worse.

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

working nights and going to school during the days can throw you off, but after working like that for 6 months, as long as a get a decent ammount of sleep, it doesnt matter when it is, i'm good.

12. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Insomnia is awesome! Haven't you ever seen "The Machinist"?

I have a problem that, no matter what time I get up, I can't fall asleep before 1:30am (usually it's closer to 3am).

13. Makelele

Makelele SS.org Regular

I don't have insomnia, but no matter how early I go to sleep, I'm still tired in the morning, if I have to wake before 9 AM. It's bloody annoying.

14. Awakened Sleeper

Bought it a couple of months back, awesome movie. Unfortunately his machine is not too unlike the ones I work with, so I've been trying to avoid doing a "Michael Ironside" on my workmates ;)

15. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I have the opposite problem. I can't get enough.

16. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

If you have any sleep problems go see a doctor. There are a ton of conditions and medical situations that are being studied more and more each day. If it can be solved, it could be an easy fix.

I suffered for 33 years of sleep problems and either being exhausted or not sleeping at all and went to a sleep medicine expert. I was diagnosed, treated, and believe me, I feel better now than I EVER have. Best thing I've ever done for my health (including quiting smoking).

17. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I've had insomnia before when I was mourning the loss of my older brother nearly 7 years ago (May 2000, he was 27). I absolutely hate not being able to sleep especially when you're dead tired. Eventually I got better though. But man, I look back at that time, I was a mess. :noplease:

18. nitelightboy

nitelightboy I poop in shoes. Contributor

I used to have problems sleeping. I could never fall asleep and I'd be lucky to get 2 or 3 hours of sleep in a few day period. Now, it seems like I'm out cold by 10:30PM and I can sleep in all day when I don't have to be at work.

19. Awakened Sleeper

I was keenly following that thread when you posted it a few months back, and I'd never heard of sleep apnea before. I've demonstrated all the symptoms you stated and I've since suggested it to my doctors, who were inclined to agree it's a likely candidate. At the moment I'm still waiting on word to start my testing. I'll tell you right now that I personally think that apnea is my problem, and if it is then I can seriously never thank you enough for the pointer. This bloody waiting seems to take forever though...

20. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I got very lucky in the diagnosis of sleep apnea. There was a internist here in town that became fascinated with sleep disturbances. He ended up going back to school in California and specialized in it. He then came back here to my home town and started a branch of a national sleep study clinic. His clinic is on the same block as my regular doctor and they happened to be friends.

I have a funny story about my Apnea. I was just getting into my recovery and using my c-pap machine every night when cold / flu season started. I was curious just how much the recovery was in my head and how much was real. I ended up getting a couple of colds sandwiched between a nasty flu and was coughing and nasally congested for about six weeks. During that time, I just gave up on the c-pap as it was just too uncomfortable when I was coughing.

During the time I was away from it, it only took about 9 or 10 days and I was back to being exhausted, having trouble falling asleep and being a depressed ass. The cold went away and I started back on the c-pap and within days I was noticeably better. I'm about 30 days back on it and I feel great again. I also had lost about 15 pounds before I stopped the c-pap and gained it all back during the cold / flu. Since starting back up, I've lost it all and then some again, and I haven't changed my eating / exercise at all the whole time.

Keep at it with the doctors. Many of them are skeptical.