Input Jack — Cable Slips Out.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Kemono, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Kemono

Kemono SS.org Regular

My Guitar's input jack is as loose as that sailor-mouthed, tattooed, forty-year old floozy hanging out at the truck stop.

Problem is, when I start moving around a lot the goddam cable falls out of the jack and sound is lost. Awful. Nobody likes that.

How do I fix it so the cable stays in. I googled loose input jack and I did not find the right result. It's on the base of the body; not recessed.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Replace it. They're cheap and don't last forever.

If it's an open style, and not a barrel style, you can bend the contacts in by hand, but it'll just happen again. Replace it with a nice new one and you'll be good for years.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I find barrel output jacks seem to loosen more quickly than the open type, for whatever reason. But yeah, like Max said, just buy a replacement and you’ll be good for a few years.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Cant you get locking types that will always keep the cable plugged in?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You can get locking jacks, but the cons outweigh the pros.

They're good for installation work in studios and on stages, not so much on guitars and basses from my experience.

The thing is, they're expensive, require routing/specific installation criteria, the contacts don't last any longer and the mechanism can break fairly easily if not used properly rendering the only positive (cable locking) moot. Not to mention, depending on brand, they can be picky about what cable ends you use.

6. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

And if you get a decent brand (Neutrik etc) the release lever is too stiff for one handed operation, so it'll quickly become a significant annoyance.

7. odibrom

odibrom .

I kind of feel the same way, but that may be brand related. I think that open type jacks, that can be bend if getting loose, are optimal choices because of that simple adjustment. Yeah, it will happen again and one can re-bend their contacts again. The bending action isn't any drama and doesn't stress the metal to a break point, so, IMO we can do it indefinitely.

What I think helps to prevent this loosening annoyance is to unplug the guitar every time it isn't in use, so the spring contacts may return to its natural position. I kind of hate barrel ones for the impossibility (as far as I can or know) to re-adjust their grip.

8. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

My cable slips out every now and then...usually when I’m really whittlin’ away

9. odibrom

odibrom .

... do you loop the cable around the guitar's strap?

soldierkahn likes this.
  10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I saw a guy at a show struggling with this once (he was young, probably his first show), so I tried to help him out and made the friendly suggestion to wrap the cable like that - he didn't take kindly to an audience member telling him what to do. "Hey, I'm the one on stage, I know what I'm doing, a**hole". :lol:

odibrom likes this.
  12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Did you try inserting your cable into your guitar's output jack? [/assholecommentwithnorealvalue]

OK, for real...

The other thing that sucks about locking cables is that you or anyone else step on the cable, you're more likely to damage something like the cable or pulling the guitar off a stand, or out of your hands, etc etc. All of which are worse than just an inexpensive jack wearing out over years of use.

if you have a jack that's a little loose but don't have time to service it, I keep one Monster-brand cable because it seems to be ever-so-slightly larger. It fits tighter in jacks, and I've noticed that if I have one inserted for a while, and then switch to another cable, the other cable will feel ever-so-slightly looser. Going the other way, if a cable is starting to feel a little loose, I've found a Monster cable to fit more snugly.