Inability to rep = no ability to criticize without defending that criticism! Yeah!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Explorer, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I was always amused by how some people would take to neg-rep in order to defend really bigoted viewpoints.

Now that rep has been removed, that means the either have to out themselves as not nice people, or take that kind of thing elsewhere.

The need to state things publicly with your own member name, along with the excellent moderation and the clear rules, will really help get rid of some of the bigotry and idiocy which sometimes bubbles under the surface here.

When trolls are forced by their compulsions to either out themselves or to take it somewhere else, that rewards SS.org for being proactive in eliminating trolls.

Well done!

(And thank you for providing this subforum so I can leave this feedback!)

2. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I agree. While I always enjoyed leaving positive rep, I never left bad rep. If I had a beef with something someone said, I would pipe up and say it. That way, it was out in the open. I always signed my rep. I believe in transparency.

Having said that. .. eleven pages on the Rep Gone, Oh Noes thread! :lol:

3. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

Why do people call everyone with an opinion different to theirs "a troll"? Such a close-minded worldview. There were barely any trolls on this site, anyway. But nevermind, now that the rep system has been removed there'll maybe be more of actual discussion rather than one sided endless circle jerks of "oh yes, you are right, yes, yes" because people were afraid to be voice their different, maybe unpopular opinion due to the fear of being neg repped. I'm really happy with Alex's decision.

4. asher

asher So Did We

Allegations of trolling had to do with the method of discussion, debate, or argument, or the delivery, not the content.

Unless there was no content.

5. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I had some guys from a facebook forum a lot of us have heard of leave me a slew of nasty neg rep remarks on here, talking about how I am scum, a scammer, a wannabe, a coward.... all left annonymously where I can't properly respond :lol:

I have always been a firm believer in not engaging in any discussion unless you are prepared to own your remarks and admit when you are wrong (and therefore apologize if necessary). I like the loss of the rep system. Honest dialogue is more telling anyway.

6. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I think the biggest issue with the rep system was the anonymity. People could curse out or insult someone else as nasty as possible with no repercussions at all. I've never had anything truly nasty but I've read a bunch on others rep pages. Comments telling people to go kill themselves and sh!t. I think that allowed people to take really nasty stabs at another that they typically wouldn't have done if their identity was included. Of course, having the identity also means there'd be revenge repping. Either way, the forum is better off with it gone.

Rev.

7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

I received more negative rep for being a Christian than anything else around these parts.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's blatantly not true. If someone was insulted and reached out to the Mod staff, speaking for myself though, the rep would be removed/edited and the culprit would be taken care of, up to and including permanent removal.

Now, if someone was hit with a lot of offensive rep and didn't contact a mod, within a reasonable time frame of course, nothing would be done.

I wasn't going through everyone's page to look at rep on the off chance I saw something abusive. :lol:

9. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

im glad Rep is gone. most of mine was negative.
    Just as it was in high school, i never really fit in anywhere.
    i feel completely unwelcome in the metal community. at least i got no rep tho

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Aw, dude, you're making me all sad now. I would actually bet that most people who listen to metal never fit in anywhere in HS. And by never fit in anywhere, I mean they did fit in somewhere, but it was a tiny group that was out of the mainstream. Which is why we tend to hate generic TV, formulaic pop music, and all the other things like that. You always hear about the punk ehtos, but there is definitely a unifying metal ehtos as well, and it is marked by openness, respect for authenticity, and an appreciation of self expression. Fortunately, it has nothing to do with popularity. :metal:

11. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

i dunno... i disagree.
    I just don't fit into any group large or small. i just have a small group of friends who aren't into anything in particular, they just accept me for who i am. But the Metal community has never been one i would call accepting. to each his own i guess. Metal IS mainstream in case you haven't noticed...... just look at this forum.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I guess so, but way less mainstream than other stuff. And I know there are loads of people who are unaccepting, but they're just conformists that are going to pop up in any place. I could be romanticizing it, though.

13. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

The main thing is... Rep is gone, and that's s good thing

14. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I just don't think many would resort to contacting a mod.

Heh, I used to read the rep of people with red squares for the amusement. While really nasty stuff was indeed rare there were some really hilarious gems that I will sorely miss. Some things I'd read would have me giggling through my entire work day :D I have to say, some of us on here have some serious comic talent that deserves to be shared with society :metal:

Rev.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Even as a contributor I don't think you have the inbox space for me to forward you all the PMs I got regarding peoples' rep. :lol:

Too true! :lol:

16. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Indeed, but it's wasted if people is so vile to hide in anonymous-ity. ;)

17. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

"You are what your record says you are" - Bill Parcells