In Flames - "Battles" to be released 11/11/2016

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Blood Tempest, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Nagash

Nagash chugs and screams

Eh, Iron Maiden still has fans :rolleyes:

2. You

You þ

I never listened to In Flames with the exception of this song and a fragment of an other. It leaves the bitter taste of a metalcore band attempting to be radio friendly with verse chorus structures and pop vocals. Of utmost certainty is nothing that piques my interest

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I normally try to agree with you

But this. Old In Flames and new In Flames sound like two completely different bands. Old In Flames is some of the best melodeth out there, and them changing their sound to a generic alt-rock/metalcore sound is just a waste of talent. And heck, it's getting to the point where they can't even do that sound properly anymore, since Siren Charms got a really meh reception.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I know it's not a popular opinion. That's just how I feel on the subject.

10 years ago I was Super 'Metalcore' Johnson.

Today, I'm looking for the ultimate compressor for my Tele to work on my 'chicken pick-in'.
    And an 80's tri-chorus for my strat for those Landau/Huff tones.

If I had fans... they'd probably hate me right now.
    But f**k em'. I'm not building a monument to compromise.
    I'm following my passion.

5. Blood Tempest

Blood Tempest Eschaton Mémoire Contributor

YUP. :agreed::agreed::agreed:

6. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I'm sorry, but there's no one that can convince me that In Flames are just following their passion at this point. The music is awful. They're just trying their hearts out to break through to mainstream radio-rock because they think they'll make more money that way.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Idk, I just streamed both songs again on YouTube. And I really ....ing like it. I know that 10+ years ago me may have cried sacrilege, but .... that guy. I love melodic thrash, and other bands will come out with something in that genre. I don't need one band to carry a torch for a specific sound. (God, imagine if pop artists weren't allowed to change and grow.)

8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

X-Factor plays their Christmas show at Wembley too. :lol:

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

:bump:

Listening to this now on Spotify, it's not terrible, but it doesn't have anything that will make me remember it in a week from now; same can be said for Siren Charms. Even though I like SoaPF, the one before that was 50/50 from what I remember, so I guess from 2012 to present is just a miss for me.

10. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

So basically once Jesper Stromblad left, who was the founder of the band and the last original member.

Peter recently left as did Daniel and I really hope that the 3 of them will start a project. Not to take away anything from Bjorn, but Jesper was the backbone of their first 3 albums (Lunar Strain, TJR, Whoracle). Since the moment they've lost him I've felt it in their music and it's just boring and not memorable at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just hating on them because it's the cool thing to do. I was a huge fan of theirs for a long time so I want their music to be good as much as anyone else, but when it really comes down to it, the new stuff just isn't memorable.

11. heathenhotel

heathenhotel SS.org Regular

In flames died after Clayman for me. I respect that bands wanna go in new directions, I get that totally but I listen to everything they put out in hopes that something will change and with every album, they seem to lose the fire more and more. When a band loses the fire, it's just not worth listening to anymore.

I am not one of those "screw clean vocals" people at all. I love all types of vocals and I really think that In Flames does suit clean vocals. The problem however is that Anders Friden absolutely cannot sing clean. His clean vocals are weak, nasally, off key with poorly written melodies. He's been doing the clean thing for 15 years and has worked with vocal coaches/trainers in that time but it's done nothing for him. Sometimes people just don't have it and he doesn't have it.

I am also not going to be one of those elitist guys that says screw in flames however I will say that I feel that the fire and passion are gone from their music and I can't personally listen to music that is written and played without passion. Cheers to them for trying to evolve but it's not for me.

I saw a comparison to Opeth but there's a massive difference for me and that is the fact that while I might really not be a fan of how Opeth has evolved, they are doing it with passion and fire. Opeth truthfully love what they are doing. That band is still very much musically relevant in every way and I totally respect that even though I really don't like it. The musicianship, the writing and everything else just has to be respected but with In Flames, it sounds forced, cheap, thin, unimaginative and flat.

AdenM likes this.
  12. SSLegion

SSLegion SS.org Regular

While i think they reached their peak at Clayman/Colony i didn't really give up on them until after ASOP (which i liked) there was always some decent stuff on every album before that. After that it has gradually turned more into Anders solo project.

13. ChrisRushing

ChrisRushing Fretboard Acrobat

I'm real hit or miss on the later albums. I tend to like a few songs from each one. This isn't terrible but I don't know that it would be something that I would revisit.

Razerjack likes this.
  14. heathenhotel

heathenhotel SS.org Regular

Precisely but what's funny is that Anders had a solo-ish project called Passenger and it was WAY better than the past bunch of In Flames albums but he gave up on it because he would rather use the In Flames name and audience.

15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Latest track is surprisingly heavy:

And yes, I know this thread has been dead for a long time, but I thought it would be a better idea to revive it than to start a new one since I don't have anything more to say and don't really care much about the band these days.

pecado, KailM and Strobe like this.
  16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Holy necrobump. I went back a page only to realize I was liking comments from 2016, lol.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Haha, sorry about that :lol:

18. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I would not begrudge anyone for bumping an In Flames thread. They are the band that got me into heavy music and out of my alternative / grunge kick (which I still like, but it's been metal at #1 since).

I know they have changed, but I have liked every version of In Flames so far. Battles was an excellent album. It's cool that they sound like they are going back to their roots a bit, but I would be OK with it either way.

Razerjack, Vyn and Mathemagician like this.
  19. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

100% agree. Every time new In Flames material drops I'm always excited because 1 - you never know what direction they will go in and 2 - you know you'll enjoy it regardless. For me they are one of the only bands I can think of where I've enjoyed every release they have done.

pecado, Strobe and Razerjack like this.
  20. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

That was surprisingly enjoyable. It's at least on par with something that could have come off of Clayman, IMO.

In Flames is an interesting band for me. Whoracle and Jester Race are top-tier masterpieces in metal. And by that I mean every member of the band contributed incredibly, including Anders' vocals. Even this many years later, I can put on either of those two albums and feel like I'm listening to them for the first time.

Colony was also great, but for me that was when they started to lose a little of the magic. Clayman had some good moments, but for me, that was the point it became obvious they were going downhill. They just tried to become too mainstream and it didn't work (well, obviously it DID work to a certain extent because they got very popular). Every album after that has been rubbish. :lol:

I'm glad to hear at least some return to form on this latest track.