In 2018 most userfriendly/affordable/quality interface for recording REAL drumkit???

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Gmork, Mar 5, 2018.

1. odibrom

odibrom .

The Presonus VSL1818 is an OLD unit, launched more than 5 to 6 years ago. The newer models from Presonus are a bit more expensive...

bostjan likes this.
  2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive read multiple times that presonus abondons their firmware etc leaving many features unusable .any truth to this?

3. odibrom

odibrom .

I already had 2 Presonus, first was a firewire with 2 mics and several ins and outs. Can't remember the model, but was a fairly small unit. Super nice stuff, never had a problem with it. Sold because I was about to get a new laptop without firewire so I had to move to USB connections. Went for a VSL1818, way back in 2011 I think. It blew on me on 2016, mostly due to a fault in my desktop motherboard / power source. So, the USB connection fried and repair was over the value of one new, so I got pissed of and went to Focusrite that month. I got an 18i8. A bit smaller than the 18i20, more size manageable for me and has all ins/outs I need in the foreseen future... and is expansible...

I'm a happy camper so far...

Gmork likes this.
  4. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Not any more. The company had a HUGE turnaround a few years ago. The problem is that older devices that are a decade old and people complaining about not being supported anymore.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I bought mine three years ago, right before Presonus discontinued support for the product, but I've used it in live settings (at least ten shows) and as a part of my mobile studio to record eight different bands. I've already got more than my money's worth out of it.

But yeah, if it crapped out on me today, I would most likely go with a Focusrite. I bought the Presonus because it was cheaper and I didn't really think that there'd be too much difference.

odibrom likes this.
  6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

I have a Firestudio Project that I just gave up on. Windows dropped it's legacy firewire driver support with recent updates AAAND Presonus hasn't updated their actual drivers since like 2016? I wasted an entire night... got frustrated. Grabbed a couple guitars to trade. Came home with an RME. Life is glorious again :D

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/pr...-interfaces/zoom-uac-8-usb-30-audio-converter
    I'd get this. I won't bother with Firewire or Thunderbolt anymore as it's only a matter of time before apple decides to ditch thunderbolt to rape people on buying new adapters.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Connectors always end up being a problem with anything old. My old Akai digital recorder worked great until the disk drive quit on it. Instead of a standard hard drive connector, it used SCSI, which was ultra-common up until around 1996, then, by 2000, it was nonexistent. FireWire hasn't been the least bit exciting for ten years now. Outside of a handful of audio interfaces and a couple of cameras, I think it could have already been entirely forgotten.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, this is half the reason I've started building a collection of really nice mic preamps. This way, when my Apogee Ensemble either gets dropped for driver support or when Apple moves on from Thunderbolt, I'll at least already have enough channels of really, really choice preamps that I'm familiar with and know how they respond, so I on;y have to worry about the AD/DA side of the equation.

9. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I've had a UFX for like 8 years now. It's only had an issue once. They replaced the whole PSU for like $100... on a unit I bought for $3k

Na, Thunderbolt is Intel, and apple is tied to intel these days. Also USBC/Thunderbolt 3 is just too good to ditch