Improving

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by FUNGUSAMONGUS, Jul 20, 2018.

1. FUNGUSAMONGUS

FUNGUSAMONGUS SS.org Regular

I m looking for interesting exercises to master note recognition(Note names only)??Any help will be appreciated.I m aware of going up the cycle of fourths with a metronome.

I m interested in honing my "Time feel".
    Can someone please recommend me a lesson??

Hi,
    Its been a lot of time since i have been practicing this piece(THE GLASS PRISON ARPEGGIO) but some how i cannot go above 140 bpm .I have tried to push myself to play at 170 (original bpm) but i hear more of noise than the notes.
    Few inputs about my playing:
    1.I hold the pick really hard(My pick grip is very strong),I do that because i have more control over the notes than holding it lightly.I have seen rick graham cover the arpeggio part and he holds the pick really lightly.Am i supposed to hold the pick lightly??Notes dont sound separate if i hold the pick lightly.
    2.I use a lot of gain (maximum gain) and no noise gate.
    3.I use sweep picking with no pull off on the higher string( i mean i pick all the notes).

Any input on why i m not able to nail the arpeggio part will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

And yes i started off slow at 50 bpm and gradually made my way till 140 bpm.

Has anyone taken Skype lessons from Rick.
    If yes ,how was the experience?
    I m thinking of taking lessons from him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2018
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

What do you mean by "time feel"? Do you want to play better in time?

Get a metronome and use it when you practice.

3. FUNGUSAMONGUS

Using a metronome is just a small part of Rhythm playing.
    I mean i want to learn stuff like RHYTHM DISPLACEMENT and off beat notes Etc

4. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Play some ragtime.

6. FUNGUSAMONGUS

How would that help me?Thanks for the reply

7. FUNGUSAMONGUS

8. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Note recognition is instrument agnostic. A440 will be A440 regardless of instrument. Really, the only way to train note recognition is to have someone (or something, in the case of those exercises) play a note and you guess which it is. If you really want a guitar involved have a friend play notes for you to identify.

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Ragtime emphasizes syncopation and interesting rhythmic stuff. Pick up a couple of old Scott Joplin rags and learn them on guitar, or piano, or just listen to them and clap the rhythms. It'll give you a good feel for interesting time and rhythm stuff.

Try this one. Listen a bunch til you can hum it u without the video. Try to feel the 4/4 time and how some passages fall on the offbeat and some the onbeat.

An exercise doesn't have to be a guitar exercise to improve your guitar playing. If you get better at music you'll get better at guitar. :)

10. FUNGUSAMONGUS

Thanks for taking the time to reply

11. FUNGUSAMONGUS

Thanks for taking the time to reply

12. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

Divide and conquer. I just looked up the piece you mentioned and I see that it's largely made up of just a few different shapes.
    How fast can you play any single shape? I would isolate each shape as well as picking motion (ascending vs descending) and try and bring just that part up. Then do the next one. Also try picking it in different ways, you mentioned picking all the notes and not using hammers etc, if you start with a down, try starting with an up and vice versa. As you go through this process, you should find weak points where you can't play it even at the current speed you're at. Breaking down these barriers will help you to pick the whole thing faster.

13. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

For learning "Glass Prison" I would suggest getting lessons from Martin Miller instead of Rick Graham as Martin's style is closer to what you want.

Also look up "Cracking The Code Crosspicking" on YouTube. Make sure you have at least an hour of spare time. Sign up for their forum and lurk around for a few days. It'll become clear before long.

14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Doo Bah Doo Bah dit dat
    Doo Bah
    Doo Bah Doo Bah dit dat
    Doo dit dat

There's something to be said for learning Jazz/Swing/Funk.