Improving "standard" metalcore riffs

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Eumldeuml, May 1, 2017.

1. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Hey guys! :)

I've been playing guitar for some years now and I still struggle with those typical metalcore riffs in which you go from a muted lower string to a higher open string and vice versa.
    I find myself struggling with
    a) the rhythm. In my head the open notes are more 'highlighted' but they don't necessarily have to be the stressed notes. This is very confusing and often throws me out of time which makes it hard to gain speed since I can't just go up with a metronome.
    b) the string changing/skipping. It is quite hard for me to go from jumping strings to 'normal' alternate picking because I somehow use different techniques for both. And that again makes it harder to play on time :wallbash:

I hope that you can understand my problem and give me some tips/lessons/videos :)

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I don't know about any videos that help, but we were all there once. You just need to practice the style until it becomes second nature. Your goal should be to alternate pick on one string, string below, string above, and string skipping exactly the same. It just takes practice to get the feel of it all. Clean playing trumps speed. Get the technique down clean and the speed will follow quickly.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You wont like the answer, which is to alternate pick everything, all the time, unless for a specific tone achievement you need to downpick. But I even alternate pick that.

It makes rhythm stuff much harder at first, but once you get used to it, you'll be able to tear apart tricky picking in the future.

My practice band for alternate picking is Veil of Maya. The song The Resistance is practically an alt-pick exercise.

ionian7 likes this.
  4. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Some tips i found usefull:
    - Take a riff and make the picking path clear. For every note you should decide wether it's up or down picked by looking at where you're coming from and where you're going to. It's not unusual to start on an upstroke.
    - String skipping is practice. Your right hand needs to get in the muscle memory for where the strings are. (Frostbite by Parkway Drive is great for that!)
    - Accents on the Off-Beats are a thing that you really need to feel. It's completely different from down beat centric music. Getting the picking down without any accents helps. (Try Disconnected by In Flames!)