I'm noob. Amp-in-a-box or the real deal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by silverabyss, Aug 18, 2017.

1. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

I either want a JCM-800 pedal, Triple Rec pedal or VH140 pedal (all 3?) and basic stuff like an "Tubescreamer", "Hm2", etc. To use with a weanie SS amp.

Is this a good idea to just move the pedals to a bigger SS amp if I ever want to gig or is this all dumb? Or is useful to learn what kind of sounds work for me before ponying up for a big boy amp?

Am I cheating myself out of the MOVING WIND experience?

2. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I dislike amp pedals, but I know they have really jumped forward lately

Can you find a used 5150? If $ is not there, I say snag a Katana

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I've owned a 6505, 5150III, and a Randall Thrasher.
    My favorite tone still comes from my AMT R2 preamp pedal into a solid state poweramp.

If you want to save money and space, you can definitely get a killer tone using those "amp in a box" pedals IMHO.

If I were you I would scoop up an AMT R2 Preamp and an ISP Stealth Ultra Lite.

Gmork likes this.
  4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Preamp pedals and good distortion pedals are really only as good as the pedal platform amp you're putting them through.

If it's a cheap amp, it's not gonna sound so hot. But if it's a quality, good sounding amp and cabinet, then it will sound good.

I've heard both great and terrible clips of the Mooer and AMT preamps, and I've seen a lot of people using fancy high-end distortion pedals but they are usually using them into the fx loop of a tube amp or in front of a fender Bassman or something.

Gmork likes this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have never really been a fan of using distortion pedals for metal sounds, because they never sound as good as an amp. However, I have been having a lot of fun lately buying cheap pedals and playing around. Not the best tones, but good enough to screw around on. I do think though that using the clean channel of my Triple Rectifier helps a lot. It still adds a ton of low end depth and thickness to pretty much anything.

The newer pedals have improved a lot since 10 years ago. That is partly why I have been messing with this..... You can get a lot further on pedals now for high gain then you could 10 years ago.

Spinedriver and mnemonic like this.
  6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Like was stated earlier if you put great pedals into a crappy amp you will probably still have crappy sound. Im stupidly happy with my current setup of the s&k vhd (THEE gain channel of the vh140 in a pedal) into my quilter toneblock201. But ive had amazing results with my other preamp pedals like amptweaker tightmetal pro, AMT P2 (emulates a 5150), tech21 sansamp gt2. All have been wicked and just as good as an actual amp. Ive enjoyed all of these into the quilter but also into my vintage solidstate traynor pm300 poweramp, into the fx return of various amps ss and tube and even into the 44magnum (as long as you didnt push it TOO hard)
    Ive had tons of people compliment my tone and ask what/where my amp is and are astounded when tjey find out what im using and on more than one occasion have said "then whats the point of even getting a big amp" and to that i say... Exactly :D
    So dont listento the cork sniffers out there lol

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

No pedal or amp will replace the "moving wind" experience of volume + ton of speakers... just ask Malcolm and Angus Young... well, they might not answer, because they're all deaf... anyways...

Anyone that tells you that pedals can't sound as good as a tube amp are wrong. Fact not opinion.

But you just need to watch a ton of YouTube vids and listen to a bunch of your favorite artists. Figure out what you want to sound like and then buy gear that fits your budget. But you can definitely get there on a budget! And SSO can help. :)

As an example... I have a Gibson LP Custom Shop Figured Custom one of a kind guitar, a Tone King Sky King amp, and a bunch of tonesnob pedals including a nice sounding Xotic Soul Driven. That's around $10k for a guitar, amp, and pedal. I've A/B'd it with my LTD WA600 ($600), Peavey Delta Blues ($350), and a Caline Orange Burst ($25 Xotic BB clone). If you turned your back and listened you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which... and were talking a 10:1 cost difference! I'm not saying tone is in your hands (I hate that), but you can dial in just about any sound on a budget these days.

Razerjack and Gmork like this.
  8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Sorry for the 'ole DP...

What I really meant to say about my blind-test A/B'ing of those two rigs is that you'd be hard pressed to tell which was the rig that cost as much as a car lol.

Plowing a Marshall on the verge of breakup with a full spectrum pedal will sound like shizz. A treble booster on a Fender with high headroom will also sound gross, unless you compensate massively with EQ and tone controls. After all these years, I just learned that your analog tape delay (echoplex) goes before your dirt if you want to sound like early EVH. So there's a lot of research that goes into getting good tone from your gear. You can't (usually) just buy an amp you like, a guitar you like, and pedals you like, and then expect they will play well together.

9. silverabyss

I cant decide if I want to go with the Marshall sound (Fucking Champs, Loincloth, etc) or vh140c (Pierced from Within, Erosion of Sanity, Considered Dead)

I like that fat, soaking wet palm muted tone of the ampeg but I like how marshalls sound like they roar through your gut

10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

If I were you I'd get a Fender Hotrod Deluxe or (preferably) Deville. They're relatively inexpensive used; and have a great clean channel with tons of headroom; and are a perfect pedal platform. Also, if you want to bypass the preamp you can plug your pedal chain into the Power Amp In 1/4" jack and utilize just the power amp.
    If you want just a tube poweramp, then I'd look for a used Mesa 20/20, 50/50, 2:90, or 2:100 etc. depending on how loud you think you may ever need to get. These babies move air like no SS poweramp can.
    If your trying to pack light, then the Matrix gt800fx (or 1000FX) or ISP Stealth Pro is the closest I've heard to getting a tube sound. Neither accurately nail the same feel, but they're close enough when trying to go light.
    But, you can get the Fender amp for about the price of the ISP; or maybe the 20/20 if you can find one. You can get the Fender/ISP/maybe 20/20 and your pedals for about the price of any of the big poweramps. So it comes down to budget, then desired total weight vs best possible sound and feel.

11. silverabyss

If I go the power amp route I will need a cab right?

Also I'm dumb:

power amp + pre amp + speaker = a normal head or combo, roughly?

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Pretty much.

Your average guitar combo is preamp, poweramp and cab all in one box.

A head would be a preamp and a poweramp. You need a seperate cab.

A rack mount poweramp like the ones mentioned above will need both a preamp and a poweramp.

The cool thing about a head is that you can also run other preamps into the effects loop, using just its poweramp.

The cool thing about rack mount poweramps is that usually they're stereo (essentially it's two poweramps in one box) so you can run a stereo setup with two cabs. Or you can run different tubes in one side.

13. silverabyss

Ok lads say I want a basic "good" bedroom sound that won't get the cops called on me because I have an upstairs apartment.

Pedals - small power amp - 1x12 cab?

Say I have 200 dollars for pedals and 300 for a combo or 150-150 for power amp / cab

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Boss Katana 100 Combo. Done.

Or Katana Head + 112 Speaker Cab for more bass, but more $$.

15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

+1 on the katana or any other modeling amp. If you aren't sure what tone you want, those will give you all of them, and they'll sound pretty good. And be a great way to learn how to dial in the sound you want.

I still say the best guitar purchase I ever made was a podxt live I bought 10 years ago for cheap. Most people here will tell you it sounds like garbage, but it sure sounded good to me, and it gave me a chance to play around with all the classic sounds - jcm800 with a tube screamer, slo100 cranked, fender sound, eqs, effects, etc.

Can't go wrong with a modeler for bedroom practice.

16. DudeManBrother

If you get a small SS power amp, you'd have to make sure it'll accept instrument level, as most work at line level. But on a *no longer planning on moving air* type setup, check out the .44 magnum pedal poweramp. It'll get plenty loud and you can spend more money on extra pedals and a 1x12. Maybe look at the Bogner Uberschall pedal and the Diezel VH4 pedal as well. Sound clips sound pretty awesome on both.

17. silverabyss

From the same AMT legendary series? The p2 sounded rediculously good

18. DudeManBrother

No unfortunately. They are released by Bogner and Diezel respectively. I've seen used Uber pedals in eBay for about $130 though so similar price to AMT. The VH4 is still relatively new so it's still more expensive

19. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If I were you, I'd thing about doing a Torpedo C.A.B rig with an EH 44 magnum power amp as an option if you need it. That would allow you to play whatever pedal you want. (Including the Torpedo pedals which are preeeetty good)

Disclosure: I'm not a torpedo employee, but I'm french so I had the opportunity to try and playtest everything they do as lots of shops carry them)

20. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

Another vote for the EH 44 mag .for preamp pedals I did enjoy my Amt b2 much.but I enjoyed my ISP theta much more very flexible preamp.highly recommended