I'm Going to NAMM!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Webmaestro, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Finally, after a lifetime of just hoping/wishing/dreaming, I've managed to get a guest invite to NAMM in January.

A question for those of you who've gone before:

Since I'm driving to Anaheim, I was thinking of taking my guitar with me. Or, is that just dorky? Obviously, there will be plenty of guitars there to play, but if I'm going to fart around with any amps, fx, etc. I'd like to play my own guitar.

Thoughts?

cwhitey2 and pondman like this.
  2. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I cant answer your question but going there should be pretty sweet, have fun man!
    I request close ups of the new Ibanez models hehe :p

Cheers!

3. odibrom

odibrom .

I'd say to leave your guitar at home. I'm sure most amp/pedals/FXs brands will have some sort of guitar to try their products with... sure, our guitars feel better on our hands than any other guitar...

The ONLY way for me to take one of my guitars to a show like that is to have a gig there...

4. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Congrats! I went back in 2006 and it is a hell of an experience. Don't worry about taking your own guitar; there are plenty of demo axes available. Most amp displays meant for demoing have guitars already there. I know that the idea is to actually hear your own guitar through the amp, but getting your guitar checked in/out may be a hassle. I'm honestly not sure about how that works though. Also, not sure if this is still the same, but when I went, you had to have an appointment to get into the Gibson and Fender booths.

5. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Don't bother bringing your guitar. There'll be a line you'll have to stand in to get it checked and tagged by security on your way in, then you'll be stopped on your way out to make sure it's yours. There's also a TON of people roaming around and even in a gig bag, it'll be a nuisance for ya. My first day there, I was coming around the Dean booth and some long-haired tiny dude blew past me, spilling my beer all over my hand. I made a "Wtf?" look in his direction and a woman next to me goes, "Do you know who that was? That was KENNY G!!"....I just started laughing my ass off. But it's tight quarters in there, ESPECIALLY Friday and Saturday.

Maybe on Sunday if you wanted to bring it in, Sunday is the last day and there aren't nearly as many people there. The downside is that a lot of the vendors are packing up, so you might not get to plug into everything you want. At the same time, it's a great time to score deals because some companies don't want to bother packing/shipping everything back and planned to unload some stuff before the expo is over.

If you're going for artist signings, get the list of when and where they'll be during the weekend and make your own list of what you want to go to. You'll find that half the people there seem to only care about that stuff and the lines get big QUICK. My girlfriend wanted to get a bunch of autographs and I just wanted to look at gear, I ended up meeting the same people she did in-between their signings and got to actually chat with them for a few minutes instead of a rushed autograph and pic.

Same goes for all the performances. I missed Devin Townsend doing something for Shure by like 3 minutes and they don't open the doors to those rooms once they start. I did, however, get to watch King's X dominate the Mackie room with like 20 other people watching. But the lines for performances fill up quick and the rooms aren't huge.

The food in the convention center is terrible, but there's some great joints in the surrounding mile (another reason to leave the guitar at home).

The smoking area in the back of the center is a great place to meet people in a more relaxed area. Troy from Mastodon and I were on the same smoking schedule and got to shoot the shit for a while out there.

Saturday night at the hotel connected to the convention center is NUTS. There's a few extra bars set up and everyone just kind of floats around. You'll be standing in line to get a drink and there's Dino from Fear Factory waiting in front of you....it's a trip the first time you go. After it's over, you don't care about meeting a single celebrity ever again.

My favorite few moments from when I went (2011) was walking around the Ibanez booth and we spot Brann from Mastodon. We had just seen them in Boston a couple months before and I met him at that show as well, but this time we stood there talking for a good 10 minutes, it hit that "I dunno what to say next..." awkward moment when I said, "Alright man, I'm sure you've got plenty of things to be doing..." to which he replied, "Nah, man, I'm just wandering around. You see anything cool yet?" and he just stood there and kept on talking.

Check the Dean booth and see if they are selling shirts. When I went, a $20 shirt got you the shirt and a free pass for the Dean NAMM Jam. That year it was Hellyeah, Michael Shenker, Michael Angelo Batio and Megadeth. I spent the entire Hellyeah set standing next to Dug from King's X just rocking out. I was a bit hammered and screaming my ass off and he got a huge kick out of it. Very surreal experience.

It's a tiring weekend, for sure.

auxioluck likes this.
  6. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

^^^ What Rev said.

I get pretty worked up in large crowds, and it was an exhausting weekend for me when I went. I was one of those guys hustling outside and begging people for a cigarette. But similar to Rev, I got the chance to meet some cool musicians. Flo Mounier from Cryptopsy actually let me come up into the artist/VIP area in the Pearl drums booth and shoot the shit with him for awhile. Got to meet Yngwie and Vinnie Paul there as well. You'll get a laugh out of people, like Rev did. I saw a huge crowd moving through the floor, and saw that it was Gene Simmons. I laughed really hard at some dude who was clinging to him like static, just so everyone KNEW he knew Gene Simmons.

Great people watching, really cool experience. Don't skip out on the classical/orchestral instrument sections either. I saw quite possibly the coolest harp I've ever seen in my life at NAMM.