I'm committed... first build ever.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by FrznTek, Mar 31, 2017.

1. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

Man, you guys are not making the choice easy for me, LOL.
    I think I'm going to go with the flame maple laminates, a 5 piece like the example in post #34.
    I almost have my work space cleaned out, after it will be set up then start!

2. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

This is exactly what I did for my first multi scale. In addition, I added a strip of wood to slide through the channel on the band saw table to keep it aligned and push it through. Just ignore my rookie move in the picture with the added spacer to angle the jig up...my band saw table can angle and do the same thing. This was on some test pieces to make sure I got the angles right, in the process found my jig wasn't completely perpendicular either.
    [​IMG]

LiveOVErdrive and FrznTek like this.
  3. dxjxrose

dxjxrose SS.org Regular

looks like its gonna be a sweet axe man...

FrznTek likes this.
  4. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

Bought a thickness planer, it's the WEN 12.5", Walmart had it on sale + my sisters employee discount made it about $180!!!! I couldn't say no, lol. I also bought a Stanley 8gal 6 peak HP wet/dry vac to hook up to the equipment for dust removal. I bought a Vintage Stanley No. 5 Type 16 Bench Plane on ebay. The listing said "No cracks or repairs. In all likelihood, this jack plane never did much work. Great wood tote and knob, plus a full blade.", all the cheap ones looked like they wouldn't handle hardwood, and people online seem to always say buy an old Stanley one... so that one seemed like a good score to me.

electriceye likes this.
  5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Great score! The old Stanley planes are great if they are in good shape. I've got a number 4 that I bought off a local guy who refurbishes them and it is just perfect. The modern Stanley ones are pretty solid, too, actually.

6. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

so.... where to start.....

I got the bridge pickup from Ormsby (it's their Hot Rock model), but they sent a bridge pickup baseplate instead of the bridge. I contacted them and they got back to me that night, and said they would send the bridge out ASAP.
    [​IMG]

On the pickup subject.... I'm thinking about ordering a BKP Stockholm 90 for the neck, any other suggestions? (should I go with the a little bit less hot Supermassive 90?) going for a versatile set up.

I had to buy a table saw rip fence for a different table saw, then modify it. It works, I'm just going to have to measure front and back as well as use a square. :/ The table saw is a 3HP Alltrade, from what I gather they havent made the model since the earily 90's.
    [​IMG]

My work space is just about ready. It was a LOT of work cleaning and reorganizing it. lol.

I bought Hipshot open gear tuners. (Yeah... I made a 1 to 1 visual model of it to make sure the dimensions are right.)
    [​IMG]

Got my plane..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the model as it sits. I am going over it to make sure everything is in the right place before I make the templets. I moved the lower horn down a bit so it is a little more inline with the bottom of the body, but IDK if I like it yet.... I also modified the headstock a bit. (I also might make a waterslide decal for the headstock:) )
    [​IMG]

I saw these go up for sale and since they were a slight bit cheaper then Gabbon Ebony and long enough for muli scale builds, I had to buy them, LOL. "Uniquely figured Ebony" fretboards!
    [​IMG]

Let me know if the pics earlier in the thread still work. They are hosted on photobucket, but still show for me.... I'll re-upload them if they are not working.

7. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

Pics not working for me :(

Goes to Dropbox error

8. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

well, for what ever reason I can't edit the post.....
    so here are the pics in order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully that worked.

Pablo and KR250 like this.
  9. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

I went for the Supermassive 90 with burnt chrome bolts! After listening to the demos again I decided the Stockholm 90 is a bit too harsh. I emailed them to see if they could make it 53mm spaced, but they said all their tooling is set up for 50mm (for P90's), sigh.... seems to be the same everywhere, I'm starting to see the struggle of making a multiscale with such an extreme angle. Luckily 50mm for the neck fits well enough, just not perfectly lined up. They said it should be fine.
    [​IMG]
    Well!!! other than some odds and ends drill bits I think I finally have all that I need to build this thing!!! Just need to finish checking the model out, then start printing the templets!
    [​IMG]
    ^ I got both of the Ibanez Prestige Nut File Set for Electric Guitar, 6x Pieces (.010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046" Gauge) and Electric Bass Guitar, 6x Pieces (.032/.045/.065/.085/.105/.130). They were/are on sale, and now I'm set for everything I think I will ever need (as for nut files any way).