I'm committed... first build ever.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by FrznTek, Mar 31, 2017.

1. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Forgot a step. Before I start with the rasp, I rough cut the profile with a band saw. Saves a whole lot of time. And leaves me some scrap wood to use wherever.

2. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

I sent a message for a 10" bandsaw on crigslist, so we'll see if that pans out.

I'm going to try the shinto rasp, scraper, drum sander route this time.

I have been GASing hard for a Tele for months now, in paticular a Tele with a hum in the bridge and a p90 in the neck. so I think I'm going to go with that.:idea:

I started the modeling, the body is just a little longer with a modified lower horn and better freat access (needed since its going from a 22 fret to a 24 freat design.)

not 100% on the head stock yet.

What do you think so far? Do you think I might see neck dive with this?
    [​IMG]

Colors are temporary as I have to make UV maps and textures for them to be close/accurate and that comes after the modeling is done.

3. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

This may not matter, but if you think you'll want to create your own bookmatched tops by resawing wood, get at least a 14" or bigger bandsaw. I have an old one that is only 8" and I regret getting it (although it was cheap on CL). I have so many figured slabs that I need a much larger saw.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

another way to bookmatch pieces (though it's a bit messier) is to hit it with the table saw on both sides of the board and then use a sawzall or such to cut whatever the table saw couldn't hit. That's what I've been doing since I don't have access to a bandsaw.

5. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

Well, the guy with the band saw bever got back to me. I have been looking and think I might buy a "WEN 10" Two-Speed Band Saw with Stand and Worklight" I can get it for about $230usd shipped to my door, and it "cuts up to six inches deep and 9-3/4 inches wide. Two-speed operation allows for speeds of either 1520 or 2620 FPM." and would have a 2-year warranty. The only options on CL localy are WAY too much money/industral grade or do not cut any deeper. There is one old (but recently refirbished) Jet 14" BS, but it also only cuts 6" depth, and the guy is asking well over $100 more for it, on top of having to get a hold of a truck to tansport it and drive an hour or so one way to get it.

Here is an update to the model.(with textures,lol!) I'm still not sure on control positioning.
    [​IMG]

6. cesar

cesar SS.org Regular

Hey OP, what program you used to do the 3d model

7. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

MODO, although I will likely transfer it to a CAD/CAM program at some point... I am just used to MODO.

8. LiveOVErdrive

Love the design. If you're worried about neck dive I would extend the upper horn (or whatever you call it on a single cut) just slightly but still have the body meet the neck at the same place. I think that would look pretty cool actually. Make it a little sleeker than a standard Tele. But I mean it looks great as-is.

Regarding Wen tools - I haven't used their bandsaw, but I have their buffer and drum sander. They are good quality for the price. Online reviews seem to agree.

9. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

^thaks.
    I think i'm just going to keep it like it is.
    I keep thinking about the bandsaw and continue to go back anf forth on wether I should just save and go for the 14" version that has a bigger motor and cuts "boards up to 8.85" deep and 13-3/8" wide. Two-speed operation allows for speeds of either 1420 or 3280 FPM." but that extra about $250 could go a long way in terms of fret saw, nut files, trussrod, etc... the blades are a bit of a weird length as well (100.75"), but I found a way to get them, so it's not too big of a deal.

Should I put in carbon fiber reinforcement rods in the neck? They would add about $30 to my list of stuff I need...

I moved the controls a little, probably not worth re-rendering the image, but the jpeg compression on the one I posted looks bad, IMO..... so here's an updated one, lol!
    [​IMG]

10. LiveOVErdrive

My two cents - keep your first build simple and cheap.

11. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Are you at all concerned about how the strings are going to fan out over the headstock? Because the string pull you're looking at here isn't what most people would call ideal.

12. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

^ no I didn't, now that you mention it, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

13. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

I decided to just get the 10" bandsaw.

IDK what to do with the headstock angle, I have it at 10 degrees ATM... is that good? I also dont know what to do for the trussrod cover, with it being multi scale after the tilt one side is higher then the other and looks weird to me. If I level it, it puts a twist in that area....
    [​IMG]

here is an updated pic with to scale medium/jumbo frets and adjusted headstock.
    [​IMG]

Also, I got wood!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flame maple top, bloodwood bottom.... still think I like the contrast of the maple a bit better.
    [​IMG]

14. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

So for a scarf joint... I looked into it a bit and it seems a compound cut would do the trick. I figured out that a 4 degree twist down seems to make it line up. so 10 degree front to back and 4 degree down... would this jig work?

(laminated wood is the neck.)
    [​IMG]
    I went to check out the router we have and the bit was stuck in it.:wallbash: after working on it, I got the bit AND the collet to come off together. now the router is a craftsman one from the '60s/'70s and I couldnt find any collets that looked like the one it had in it.:wallbash: there was one that looked like it might work.... but it was going to be about $22 shipped and I'd need both the 1/2" and 1/4" collets.....with no guarantee they would work.

unpland new toy! LOL
    2HP craftsman variable speed with both fixed and plung bases. I got it on sale so it didn't sting as much, lol.
    [​IMG]
    Router bits show up this week and the bandsaw is here.

I ordered "Jet Onyx" recon stone dot inlays for it. I wanted something nicer then plastic, lol. It turns out the place I ordered from is not too far from my house!(relatively speaking... about 45min to an hour drive one way.):hbang:

15. warped

warped SS.org Regular

Good Luck with the build - I jumped in the deep end as well with my first build attempt being a 7 string fanned fret. I've made a few mistakes along the way (almost every step) - sandpaper, wood dust and glue can cover up a lot :) but really happy with how it's turned out so far.

Nice wood choices and your design looks great - would love to try a modern tele style next

16. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

Not a whole lot to update other than I have changed neck wood choice. I found a good deal on a rosewood neck blank, so I decided to buy it and a flame maple neck to make stringers out of/for the neck of my next build....

Now I'm debating on weather I should should just do a 1 piece rosewood neck or go with the flame stringers/laminate?

top to bottom, Padauk 6" x 36" x .25" bought for no real reason other than it is a great size and cost me only about $5 usd!, flame rock maple neck blank, rosewood neck blank.

[​IMG]

17. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

one piece rosewood, and thank me later!

FrznTek likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

rosewood and padauk would look very nice together, but then again so would the flame with the rosewood. I say do the rosewood with the flame maple, it'll look killer.

19. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

+1 for solid Rosewood.

20. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

RW with a flame stringer would look gorgeous. And vice versa.