Illustrated rhetorical fallacies

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Jakke, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

We are all internet people to varying degree on this board, and to internet people, especially on this sub-forum, arguments are bound to happen. There is a load of dishonest fallacies those inclined to can use, so I figure members who frequent P&CE might find this interesting.

They are also very pedagogically illustrated:yesway:

Rhetorical fallacies.

2. ArkaneDemon

ArkaneDemon SS.org Regular

Great link, this kind of stuff needs to be kept in the back of one's head during any kind of rational discourse. I wish they would teach this kind of stuff earlier on in schools. At least in the area I've lived in, this kind of stuff isn't taught until first year university, in a course that is rarely taken anyways (critical thinking). Last term, I took it, and it was a class of roughly 100, with that class being the only section of the term. In a university with 26000 undergraduates...

3. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

^I would love to take such a course (I have learned most of the stuff in the link myself though), might have to check if my university offers courses in logic or something similar...

4. ArkaneDemon

If your university has a philosophy department, it should definitely have logic, if not some other related courses. I'm taking an intro to formal logic next term, so I'm stoked.

Yeah I learned a majority of the critical thinking stuff outside of that course, but it did teach me a lot, and gave me the tools to see through the bullshit a lot easier :lol:

5. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

We've got everything man, largest university in Scandinavia:lol:

You seem to be interested in this stuff, any chance you are involved with the skeptics movement?

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Excellent post and admittedly I've done a few of these in the past. Would it be considered a fallacy in and of itself to show this link to someone that is making one of these kinds of arguments? :lol:

7. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

This is great! Most people are guilty of using these in their arguments, even myself, and it's nice to see them laid out in a pretty simple way so that most everyone can understand them.

8. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

A weird appeal to authority maybe?:scratch:

9. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Agreed, some of these are pretty abstract, so having examples really help.

10. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    It's not an appeal to authority to show how an argument doesn't actually address the matter at hand. Even if these fallacies are common enough to have a name, using a name for one, or explaining how one has gone wrong, doesn't rely upon any appeal to authority.

Since any claim which doesn't actually address a matter at hand can be shown to not affect the truth of that matter, showing how it doesn't address the matter doesn't rely upon any authority.

Ironic fallacy about calling out fallacies is ironic.

11. ArkaneDemon

I want to live in Sweden :yesway:

Alas, I'm not familiar with such a thing. Got any links or something to read, because Google isn't giving me anything definite about such a movement.

12. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

It's been mentioned, but I'll just say this to everyone...

If you can (or haven't already...), take a Logic class.

It was awesome. :yesway:

13. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Oldest as well, although it was mainly built so we could have a university before the danes (1477):)

It's mainly a fancy word for organized scientific skeptics, among the more famous are Penn and Teller, Carl Sagan, James Randi, Michael Shermer, and PZ Myers. A common event almost all over the world is "Skeptics in the pub", where we go out, drink and discuss pseudo-science etc.

There are usually groups in most larger cities if you are interested to know more, there are also a number of podcasts about skeptisism.

14. ArkaneDemon

Cool stuff. I knew what skepticism was, but I'll definitely have to check it out a bit more in depth and maybe grab some podcasts. The skeptics in the pub bit sounds interesting. At first I wasn't too convinced by it, but now it's more of a "well, why the fuck not". Thanks for the info :lol:

15. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I approve of this. Many of these are pet peeves of mine, like when shampoo ads say that they contain natural ingredients. I always think that many kinds of acid occur naturally, but they probably won't be very good for your hair. Also the relativist fallacy was the bane of my existence my in senior english classes. They kept on talking about reality as though it's subjective, when IT'S FUCKING NOT! YOU CAN DISCOVER UNIVERSAL TRUTHS IF YOU STUDY MATHS OR SCIENCE, MRS DAVIS! Sorry, but explaining the logical fallacies in the claims of my english teacher was a frustrating, fruitless, and thankless task. I'm angry again just remembering it. :lol:

However, did anyone else find it weird that the appeal to ignorance example was "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." It looks a bit like a shifting of the burden of proof, which they have an example of further down the page. I know that it isn't really, but it looks that way. If it said that the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." is false, and therefore there is a god, it would certainly be a burden of proof issue. I guess they're advocating the withholdment of judgement until definitive proof is given, which can lead to the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is nothing to lead me to believe there is a god.", which some would consider to mean the same as the statement "Nobody has proved to me there is a god. Therefore there is no god." In fact, I thought that if you just added a qualifying word or phrase to a couple of the examples of fallacies they would be perfectly fine statements. I guess that whoever wrote this must have been quite the pedant. (Ironic ad hominem ftw.) This probably doesn't matter, though.

Nice appeal to authority :fawk:

16. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I think it was either scottish or canadian skeptics who came up with the concept of skeptics in the pub...
    Wel,, anyway, you're welcome. I have enjoyed consorting with skeptics very much, they are usually very nice people:lol:

Arsenic is also very natural, as is mercury:lol:

You are absolutely correct, claiming that there is no god subjects you to the same burden of proof as someone who claims there is a god.

Did I say it was good because it was old?:fawk:

17. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

^ I originally typed arsenic, but I don't know what it would do to hair (it's probably of little consequence either way) so I changed it to acid.

Also, when these are taken together, it seems like you're at least implying that the oldest is the best. :fawk:

But I'm just being cheeky now.

18. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Arsenic poisoning can cause hair loss, at least according to wiki...
    But I wager acid is even more no good for hair:lol:

Impying eh?

I am not sure I like your tone young man:squint:

19. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

The Appeal to Novelty just reminded me of the How I met your Mother thing where Barney goes on about how new is always better and Ted keeps showing him how he's wrong :)

The perfect response to that kind of relativism I feel is to show them the circular nature of their own pluralist argument.

It tends to go like this.

You: So you believe that reality and truth are subjective?
    Them: Yes.
    You: So there is no singular truth for anything?
    You: You're sure you believe this?
    You: So the truth is, there is no singular truth? That's a self cancelling argument isn't it? :cool:
    Them: Yes... wait no... wait... I mean... wait... NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

:lol:

20. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Damn humanities...:noplease:

Actually every humanist I have met have not understood the concept of absolute truth, this is not prejudice, but actually fact, I have not met a single one who could understand this. They have always gone "Well, that's your opinion, it might be true for somebody else.."

Bullshit. There are absolute truths, and my mother, for example, is terrible at understanding this fact. This was the source of some very heated discussions when I still lived at my parents' house.