If legend of zelda was real...

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by soliloquy, Dec 15, 2010.

1. TwitTheShred

TwitTheShred SS.org Regular

I think i'm one of the few who enjoys MM and WW over OoT

2. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

College Saga! The first episode is HILARIOUS!!!! :agreed::agreed::agreed:

Dead Undead likes this.
  3. Dead Undead

Dead Undead Thundercrafter

:rofl: :rofl:

College Saga is pure genius!

4. sk3ks1s

sk3ks1s Djeff

I don't prefer either over OoT. However, Wind Waker was an amazing game.
    They all fall short in comparison to Link to the Past.
    Oh how nostalgia skews your perception...

5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i agree, though i've never played link to the past.
    i think MM is fairly underrated. it took me about 2 or 3 runs through it to really enjoy the game. the first time i was like 'what the fuck?!' but i really enjoyed the melancholy dark aura the entire game had.
    never played windwaker, but its on my list. cant find the damn game anywhere! ebay is too expensive
    twilight pricess i thought was great, but it still was missing that 'umph' that OoT had. that lil hint of magic that made OoT so great was all gone. oh well...

skyward sword looks awesome! link can fly with his dragon! :hbang:

6. sk3ks1s

sk3ks1s Djeff

I'd love to see a Zelda game that takes to the GTA platform. Still have the dungeons here and there... but kinda like a freelance Link that runs around Hyrule and gets shit done. Plus Hyrulian hookers...

7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i always knew that link was a bit girly (he's always been pretty, admit it!)...but didn't know link could turn into a cute brunette girl:

8. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Haha I saw that one a while back, and it was fantastic. I actually loved her. I have a soft spot for cute girls who like Zelda. It's almost like a cute chick who plays 7-strings, except not as rare :lol:.

I'm guessing a lot of the people in this thread have seen Smosh's rap parody? It's like they decided to shit on my childhood. I found it hilarious hahaha:

9. Severance

Severance The Cockhammer

If the legend of zelda was real link would have got laid by now.

10. kerska

kerska That guy...

You know what I wish....

I wish that one day Nintendo would release a Legend of Zelda on other consoles, and make it more of a grittier, darker game. How awesome would it be to play a Zelda that had the same gameplay as the current ones, but had a darker medieval/fantasy type of tone to it?

11. Alberto7

^While I would find that extremely cool, I don't think it's the "appropriate" direction for the series to go in. I'd like it if they made a game like that. But just one. They've done the opposite with Wind Waker. However, that's definitely not the direction I'd like it to go for the rest of the series. To me, Skyward Sword absolutely nailed it in terms of dark and serious vs. happy and vibrant. Still, it would be cool to see a game like that at some point.

12. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

majoras mask was actually a VERY dark game. the entire atmosphere around it was depressing. even the songs such as the 'healing song', all the characters were heart broken, or chasing aimlessly after love, or having someone die or something. all the bosses, if they had a story, were badly treated and were throwing their rage at the world. and that is the first and only time (as far as i know at least) where you see links dark side. when he becomes the 'omni-link' or 'oni-link', he is sadistic.

twilight princess brought that when they were in the twilight zone. but to me, the game was just lacking depth...

i just want nintendo to make a zelda that isn't following a formula. all their previous efforts have ALWAYS been a MASSIVE formula since its birth. skyward is a slight different approach as the story isn't that similar, but still. you start off in a small village, you are summoned to do a great task, you go on a massive journey, you go to dungeon to find something you need, only to realize you dont have it, so you go back to the world to find it and come back, kill the boss, go to the next dungeon, realize you are missing something, and come back later....

windwaker i thought was very empty. it may have had a MASSIVE world, but there was nothing there in most of the islands there.
    twilight princess prolly had the best world, but it was just lacking that magic that OoT had.
    OoT was awesome.
    Majoras mask was very under rated.
    haven't played skyward sword, but i'm sure its much the same as a formula which makes the game very repetitive and annoying to play at times...

13. Alberto7

I had forgotten about Majora's Mask! That DEFINITELY was a dark game, even if its graphic style didn't really allude to it most of the time. Twilight Princess did have some dark elements, such as Midna's shame and Zant's rejection. The graphic style I feel also made it seem like a much darker game. I've loved every single Zelda game and have enjoyed them equally, with their particular flaws and all. I've yet to finish Wind Waker, though, and can't really know if I truly like the game (no doubt I will).

I still don't think that it should be a series of dark/gloomy/depressing/sad games though. I like its vibrancy and find it very characteristic of the saga.

I agree with you that most Zelda games are very formulaic. With that said, venturing out and breaking the formula would be a very bold move on Nintendo's part and it puts a lot at steak.

It's become almost a tradition that Link starts off as a nobody in a nobody's village, gets called by some divine power, goes to dungeons (almost in vain, except for the new knowledge and weapons acquired there), destroys an extremely malign and powerful being, and then rescues the kingdom's princess and saves the world.

Seeing that tradition being broken I know would be a huge turn-off for many people (as any tradition being broken in the real world is). If Nintendo does decide and push the envelope, and does it right, then that game could well be my all-time favorite Zelda game, as I do love fresh concepts and ideas. However, seeing how much is at stake, I understand Nintendo's choice of keeping it the way it is.

Skyward Sword was a big bet for Nintendo, with all the new controllers, graphic style, and world concepts. It seems to have worked out extremely well for them, and most people loved the game. I'd like to see that as a slight glimmer of hope that maybe, one day, Nintendo will make a unique Zelda game, and they will do it right.

14. kerska

kerska That guy...

Yeah you're right about that. I mean You pop in a Zelda game knowing that the entire game is going to be a back and forth type of quest with slightly different elements than the last game.

I guess when I mean "darker", I meant more like darker imagery. I've played Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess and they do have a bit of a darker theme, but I was more so meaning appearance. Zelda has always been a very cartoony type of game, but it would be cool to give it a different skin: Link starts to look worn and tattered as you get further in the game (I mean c'mon, he's going through like 7 or 8 dungeons in a matter of a few days and putting his life on the line over and over but still maintains a flawless appearance?!?!), or having the monsters seem a bit more menacing and evil.

The only thing I can relate it to is the reboot they are doing of Tomb Raider, if you're familiar. They ditched the hot Lara Croft, and made her into...well...a girl that looks like she would be raiding a tomb. Scratched, scraped, dirty, and rugged. I just think Link and the Zelda universe would be cool if he got a makeover like that for at least one game.

15. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

/\ perhaps a god of war look on zelda? :p as much as i dont like the formula zelda follows (my experience with wind waker and twilight princess were a bit painful near the end), i dont think i'm ready to see link go ballistic and be a bad guy that i wanna root for like kratos :p

and the rebooted tomb raider looks kinda similar to uncharted series.

16. kerska

kerska That guy...

Yeah along those lines! Keep the same story and the same gameplay, but just give it that kind of look. Keep Link good, keep the same looks, but skins like God of War or something similar.

17. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

you know, i actually wrote to nintendo regarding a costume and weapon design i had in mind for zelda series. the clothes i was thinking of were to enhance the personality of link while he wears em (i took that idea from the bunny mask/ears in OoT that allowed link to run faster) a few years before majoras mask. it wasn't to transform him, but to alter his character a bit. in addition of the green, red and blue tunic, introduce a black tunic so link can hide in shadows, and white to make him more majestic/angelic and even more pure to the point where his eyes turn white as well, and maybe give him some sort of flying/floating/levitating ability when he wears the white tunic.

as for the weapon, i was thinking of combining the short axe from Oni Musha (another DARK and beautiful game, part 3 was disappointing though...), with the long sword from OoT, with a spear and lance from dynasty warriors. on the handle, you have a fairly heavy axe head(which cant really be used at the moment) and between the heads is the handle for the sword. on the other side of the sword is a lil thicker/rounder/non-sharp point (right before the tip of the sword) that acts as a handle of the axe. so the point is that the weight of the axe head would act as a counter balance of the sword, allowing it to not only be more lethal, but faster as well as you're letting gravity take its toll. on the negative, it will tire you out and you need both your hands to use it, so you have no defense. on the flip side, if you use it as an axe, the sheer length of it will make link untouchable as nothing is getting close to link, plus, itll make the weapon even more lethal. the down side is that it will make link fairly slow and bulky and a lil awkward to move, which can leave him vulnerable...

unfortunetly miamotto (or at least the letter was singed by him...maybe it was a stamp?) said that he isn't looking for any fan contrabution at the moment...and then 2 years later, Majroas mask came out...

:(

18. kerska

kerska That guy...

Those are pretty bad ass ideas, especially with that sword/axe weapon...

You know, it never really occurred to me to actually like send a letter like that to a developer with ideas for a game. That's pretty rad that you took initiative to do that, but not so rad that Majora's Mask could all be an idea you originally had.

19. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

well, i cant take any credit for majoras mask, as i do know that the average build cycle of each zelda is about 4 years. as such, majoras mask was a lil rushed in that cycle and took about 3 years. so i wont be surprised if most of the game story/concept were already written. but still...

i'll upload a pic of the sword i designed (keep in mind, i was only like 11 or 12, so the drawing is rather...well...crappy...:p)

gimme a day or two to dig it up

20. Iamasingularity

Iamasingularity 7string Ghost

Too hopeful?

[​IMG]