If I want a good sounding Classical guitar how much will I need to pay?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by UniverseOfTheMind8, Sep 6, 2016.

1. UniverseOfTheMind8

UniverseOfTheMind8 SS.org Regular

I'm planning on getting my first classical guitar here soon (i've been playing electric guitar awhile), but I don't know how much I should be spending on one and what brand/model I should buy if I want a decent sound. I have enough for one up to $1,000.

2. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

When I bought my classical, I went to GC to play as many as I could (I recommend you do the same). Its definitely a different animal but I like it. I went a Cordoba. I like that It's an American company and the necks feel great. They have lots of different models to choose from and even the $200 one sounded and played pretty good. I took a guitar class in college and my professor would swear by Yamaha's classical guitars. He always advised getting something less expensive first.

3. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

Yamaha makes the best/most consistent sub-$500 solid top classical guitars by a good margin. Alhambra is a good brand too and offer more at the $1000 price point.

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

5. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

There are a lot of classical luthiers in Oregon. I bet you could find a luthier built instrument that will blow away anything from a factory used for not too much more than your budget is if you look around hard enough. I see them in the 1200-1500 range at times on the auction sites and classical guitar sites. I think it depends on how serious you are. My opinion is a bad or mediocre guitar can hinder the drive to want to play. In the nylon string world there's just a world of difference between guitars and makers, it's part of the joy of it.

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Agreed.

If you are ever in Portland, it would be worth a visit to Trade Up Music, either of their two locations.

Every now & then, there really are some hidden jewels that find their way into the store.

7. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I love my Alhambra

8. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

I got an Alhambra 5P for about £400 a few years ago, sounds great to my ears and plays well.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I've got a Cordoba GK Studio Negra that's pretty nice for 700$. Comes with fishman electronics if you ever want to amplify your guitar as well. I'd definitely recommend playing a bunch of classicals to see what tickles your fancy though.

10. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Buy used. Lots of classical players upgrade their instruments as they progress and you can get some 3k guitars for 1k used.