Idiots at Wal-Mart Do It Again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tiger, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

2. klutvott

klutvott SS.org Regular

Shoppers. :noway:

3. BlindingLight7

BlindingLight7 Needs moar Gear.....

im pretty sure that id feel a lifeless corpse under my foot if i was running....holy fucking shit i hate my country and everyone in it more and more every waking hour

4. errnestoo

errnestoo SS.org Regular

woohooooooo god of consumerism!!!!

this shit is getting ridiculous.

5. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

A pregnant woman also had a miscarriage. I'm assuming since it was mentioned it's because she was bumped or trampled or something.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

6. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Wow. Today never ceases to amaze me. This is why I'm glad I'm at work. I buy presents online in October for Christmas. Savings are not worth the crowds.

7. errnestoo

errnestoo SS.org Regular

She got bumped, but it turns out reports of her having a miscarriage were unfounded. Still fucking terrible though.

8. Deaths Madrigal

Deaths Madrigal The Soulcollector

This kind of thing is so ridiculous, I cant understand how people get so caught up in catching a deal that they lose all humanity and trample someone to death. I mean seriously that must have taken a ton of people to do and you know there are people out there who witnessed it happening and just kept on going, all so they could get that nice new flatscreen TV. what the hell?!

9. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

It's easy to blame the companies for this, and people will point the finger in that direction, but the fact of the matter is that it wasn't Wal-Mart that trampled the poor guy, it was those customers. I say Wal-Mart has the credit card receipts from those early transactions and the security camera footage - charge 'em all with 2nd degree murder.

10. CatPancakes

CatPancakes Im Insane

THEY BROKE OPEN THE FUCKING DOORS?!?
    what the fuck.
    what makes them think they can break down the fucking doors and go shopping early?

11. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

True, but have you ever heard of The Bystander Effect or Bystander Apathy (the more recent term, apparently).

It's a phenomenon studied in Social Psychology by which people will not help if they are in the presence of other people. The more people, the less likely anyone is to help.

I suppose people in this situation assume that "someone else will help."

The textbook case is the murder of Kitty Genovese, in which her neighbors heard her cry for help as she was raped (twice, I think) and then murdered. No one helped her.

So this is horrific, but, most sadly, not too surprising.

Here's the Wikipedia article: Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you'd like a more credible source, Psychology 8th Edition by David G. Meyers, an introductory text used for general psych courses is an option. I used the 5th edition for my first psych class-- A.P. taken in high school-- and it was spectacular (then those cheap... individuals at my school updated the next year to 8th Edition!).

In addition to more specific Social Psych books focusing mainly on this phenomenon, you might want to check out Phillip Zimbardo's The Lucifer Effect, a study of the overlooked causes of evil in humanity (various situational factors).

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  12. twiztedchild

twiztedchild Banned

My gf wanted to go to walmart today. we drove by and there was a line that went to the other side of the parking lot to get into the store :nuts: I tryed to tell her it wasnt a good idea to go. but she wanted to go after she got off work today at 6:30m. then she saw the line and siad "Fuck that" :lol:

13. leonardo7

leonardo7 Banned

Yeah, lets get up before dawn, wait in line with annoying people, forget about breakfast and kill people to save $4 on a DVD we dont even really need when buying DVDs is pointless anyways with Blu Ray taking over. Oh and lets buy a 1G laptop only because its on sale when we have no use for it. Fucking Idiots!

14. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

Dude, a few years ago they broke open the doors at a Walmart near me - and broke open the loading dock doors BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO WAIT ANOTHER 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE STORE OPENED!!!!!!
    At the store I used to work we'd have to let the staff in through a side door and post an armed security guard at that door because people would try to get in.

Worst thing is most of those "great deals" were cheaper on the Wednesday pre-sale, and will be returned before Christmas even arrives.

15. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

That is simply sick. How is this happening in a "developed" country? Are these people so rabid that they are willing to tear the doors off and trample a man to death? Is this really glorious capitalism in action? Fantastic...

16. BlindingLight7

but no!!!! we had to get tiny tim the hannah montana super awesome guitar rockin stage set!

forget about humanity and common sense people! think of the deals!

17. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus SS.org Regular

I hope the people who did that feel thoroughly ashamed about the way they acted and the consequences of it.. not only the guy that died, I bet he had a family too. Tragic :noplease:

18. BlindingLight7

shouldnt they get arrested for battery and murder?

19. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I hope all those $20 DVD players break. And I hope that all those people get their asses sued. Hard.

20. bulletbass man

bulletbass man Classical & Metal

I remember on christmas eve morning I was working and there was a line of about 30 people at the front door (I work in small bakery/deli/italien imports store). There was this guy who literally broke in the back door and had I not been there at the moment he probably would've just stolen the rolls. he asked if he could buy some rolls for extra money.

I just replied yeah when we open the fucking store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.