Identity Theft Sucks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by russmuller, Jun 6, 2017.

1. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

The world is full of strange people. Apparently there is someone out there who has nothing better to do with their time than harass a girl I went to high school with (15+ years ago) by calling her from different numbers and breathing heavy, or sending inappropriate texts from blocked numbers over the past 3 years. I guess it was anonymous until some time last year when her boyfriend wound up on the phone with this dude and asked who he was. Plot twist: the dude gave them MY NAME!!! Apparently she filed a police report about it, but I was never contacted or visited by the police in response.

I guess the harassment hasn't stopped and she hit a breaking point because today I randomly have this girl publicly blasting me on Facebook about how I'm doing all kinds of harm to her and her family, that her boyfriend wants to "handle the situation" with me, that this is going to turn into a war brought to my door if I don't stop, etc...

She was obviously very distressed when she wrote all that, so I'm not taking it personally. Regardless, it was very unsettling to be confronted like that. After a bit of diplomancy, I think I've eroded her conviction that I'm an evil stalker with my willingness to address the situation. I'm going to file a police report for alleged criminal identity theft and give them FB links and screenshots, then I'm going to give her the report info so that her complaint can be updated accordingly.

I don't expect the police are going to do much if they haven't done anything already. And honestly I feel a little bad that she thought she knew who was bothering her and now it's just some stranger out in the world.

I'm no detective, but I'd assume the culprit is someone we both know. How many other people have been harassed in my name? So many questions... Anyone else here been through something similar?

I'm counting myself lucky that it's just my name that's being used, and not my SSN, etc...

2. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

So it probably is someone you both know from that time in your life who resents you. I'd figure out who it is and end it before this gets even crazier.

TheHandOfStone, vilk and russmuller like this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

My guess is that it's someone you both went to high school with. Can you remember your high school enemies?

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Dang that sucks. I have had identity theft twice in my life... But not like your situation! They just thought they could spend my money :lol:

The person who is doing this could be a past bf or someone who liked her and was shot down. :2c:

5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It obviously is someone that you both know and certainly holds a grudge for her and maybe for you. Your name might have been just one that popped up in his mind even though I think it was premeditated.

Now this girl must be in a pretty bad state mentally to actually believe that somebody that has been harassing her for so long would just coughed up his name because her boyfriend asked for it. Not only that but after that still continuing to harass her. I'd expect a bit more logical thinking from her boyfriend but obviously not.

Anyway good luck untangling this whole mess and you should probably think about which guys you had issues in school and send her the names. Like so you can narrow down possible suspects. Unless she still believes it's you.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Good luck! People are nutty out there.

7. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Man this is pretty crazy man, sorry :(

Maybe getting your landline and cell phone records to prove to her that you're not the one that's calling her. See if the police will be able to use those also. Maybe she could ask her phone company to trace calls with a police warrant? Not sure...

Goodluck man!

8. russmuller

That would be my guess too. Either that or the person scrolled through her Facebook friends and picked my name out.
    The way it was described, I guess her boyfriend called to the culprit's number from his work phone so that he wouldn't know the call was in regards to the harassment. I get the impression they were trying to trick this person into identifying himself rather than that this person identified as me DURING the harassment. If that's the case, I can understand why they felt so strongly that I was the person behind it. If that's what really happened, I find it even more confusing.

Anyway, I submitted a police report online. I was amazed to see that they reviewed and accepted the report, then sent me a PDF copy in my email within an hour. I'm not sure what to expect from here. I hope this isn't the tip of a prolonged and #$%ked up proverbial iceberg.

9. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Shit, I can't imagine the chock of being called out like that out of the blue! Some of my worst nightmares have been about exactly that type of situation, having everyone gang up on you like that. I'm glad you seem to have cleared your name at least. As for her, I have deep sympathies. I talked to a lot of desperate women when I worked as a support tech for a phone company, it's crazy how many women this happens too. Happened to my mom for a while as well.

russmuller likes this.
  10. russmuller

Yeah, I really sympathize with her. Especially since she has 2 young kids, that's got to be terrifying to have some creeper bothering you. I'm not really sure what I can do other than take the appropriate legal steps (like filing my police report) and being willing to cooperate with any investigations. My real fear is that this is going to be such a low-level thing for the police that it doesn't get any real attention and someone continues to harass her. :-\

11. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i can see where things like this could happen, if they didn't even know you.

a couple years ago, i bought a used tablet and the previous owner still had all his personal stuff on it, including his fb logged on. lucky for him im a nice guy and have some morals, but in the wrong hands it could have gotten ugly.

same thing with a ps4 and xbox 360 i got. ppl need to delete that stuff lol

russmuller likes this.
  12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Man, you wouldn't believe the number of times people would log in to their personal FB pages on the display tablets at my old job. Seriously, you're in one of the top 10 Targets in the country, and you're absent minded enough to leave yourself logged in on a display product? Enjoy whatever happens to your stuff.

russmuller likes this.