Ideas for a tattoo?

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Thin_Ice_77, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

I've decided I want to get something done when I turn 18, which will be the December coming. I want to get some August Burns Red lyrics, probably the ones from 'Composure'.

"Wave goodbye to the past, you've got your whole life to lead"

Maybe a bit cheesy, but I've been going through a lot of shit recently and I reckon it's pretty fitting. I want the lyrics, but I don't know where or what else I want. Maybe a scroll or roses or something?

Hit me with your ideas? Cheers.

2. Bobby

Bobby SS.org Regular

I wouldn't let others influence your tattoo design or decision. Find something you like and if somebody else likes it cool. What you like at 18 now might change by the time you are 30 or 40. Good luck though and believe me tattoos are addicting.

I'm in the process of getting work done. It's a bunch of demons and ghouls I created. Some people think it's to evil but each of them represent something in my life.

3. Brendan G

Brendan G What is this then?

If you have to ask somebody about tattoo ideas, you are going to regret it in the future.

4. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

I don't really see a problem with asking for ideas about design. The tatt will still have a meaning to it, whatever it looks like. I'm just looking for some suggestions about design, I have a while to decide and I obviously won't be getting it for a good few months. Just what you guys think might look cool and I'll see if I like it too :shrug:

EDIT: Post 666 lawl.

5. lobee

lobee vicioustabbing

I never liked words for tattoos, but I mostly see tattoos as body art more than having them mean something. Although conveying both cool looking art and meaningfulness can make a great tattoo.

I don't have any specific ideas though but try to think up images that could be a metaphor for the lyrics.

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I see tats as equal art and meaning - mine are supposed to be both.

Thom, talk to tattoo artists in your area - see what they suggest.

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

You need to think about the idea yourself, for a while, until you have an exact idea of what you want. Then show it to a tattoo artist and see what they think. Its pointless asking peopel what they think IMO, because they aren't getting inked and don't have to worry about wearing it for the rest of their life, and a tattoo artist is going to know what is best rather than anyone else.

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

if you have to ask for ideas for a tattoo, you shouldn't be getting tattoo.

before you get any tattoos first:
    -decide on what YOU want
    -find a tattoo artist that can do this
    -and then sit on the idea for a long time (6-12 months)

if you still want what you original had in mind, then get it done.

and stay away from lyrics dude, I nearly got some done last year and I'm really, really glad I didn't get them done. you will regret them so much when you're older.

:2c:

9. vontetzianos

vontetzianos SS.org Regular

Perhaps not for everyone, but I'm quite fond of traditional Japanese tattoos, but again I recommend you decide for yourself, and critically analyse whether you'll be happy with a certain design for years to come. I've known a lot of guys that get tattoos and have to get something done because they regret it later.

10. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

dude, dont get a fucking tatoo, be original and DONT get one

11. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    I kinda like the idea of tattooing words. I don't think I'd put a band's lyrics, however. Dunno, I think I'd choose something more, dunno, lasting. Some old poetry or anything of the such. Don't ask me the reason though; I just wouldn't :shrug:

Hope you do leave all the shit behind, dude :yesway:

12. vontetzianos

vontetzianos SS.org Regular

If your going to get words done, make sure you get someone to do them who knows what they are doing. There's nothing worse than a tattoo that looks like a fail because the 'artist' can't do the design/words etc justice.

13. budda

why stay away from lyrics? maybe that's waht he really wants?

also, you DO NOT need to spend your entire life thinking about the tattoo that you never get. I think 6 months is a bit crazy, personally. I used to be in that boat, and then... I actually got a tattoo! go figure ;)

Your friends and family will provide useful input because they will probably be seeing you, and your latest art, for the rest of your life.

I'm willing to bet that any time you take an image to a tattoo artist, they will modify it in some way before it goes on you - that's just how they work. Artists hate doing exact copies.

:noway:. There's a lot more originality in getting a specific tattoo then not getting one, IMO. or maybe I'm just biased and young and stupid, or both!

14. Scar Symmetry

lyrics are cheesy and gay and when he realises that he won't be so happy! I'm only trying to prevent him from falling into that trap.

nah you don't need to wait your entire life, but the longer you think about it, you longer you stay happy with your choice afterwards, same as with everything else. shit, I get the same scenario with guitars ;)

15. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    :lol:

Well, one can't blame you for not going straight to the point, right? ;)

16. mikecallaway

mikecallaway SS.org Regular

Im going to suggest that you should pull your tattoos from YOUR life experiences.

so if those lyrics REALLY mean something to you then go for it.

but I think you should think about it hard man. because it dosent just come off if you dont like it. I knew what I wanted for my first tattoo for over a year before I got it, and now that I have it I am so happy with it because it turned out exactly how I wanted.

17. Wi77iam

Wi77iam Ibanez fanboi

Walk on!
    -last words of Buddha to his desciples.

yeah i'm doing a fucking religion assignment on world views and shit.
    fucking fail :noway:

18. budda

You think he won't be happy. You're thinking in terms of what you would regret, what you would and would not like - but this guy isnt' you. For some people, lyrics last - 5 years, 10 years, a lifetime, whatever.

If lyrics are cheesy and gay to you, that's fine. Don't get them as a tattoo. If there's some lyrics that are meaningful to him, and they hold a special place for him, then there's no reason why he shouldn't get them. I agree, he should spend some time thinking on it - i wouldn't say months on end, necessarily, but a good chunk of time.

Tattoos reflect a certain time in your life, more often then not. If you can remember why you got it when you got it, *hopefully* you won't regret it later.

and if you can cover it up fairly easily, chances are you won't regret it.

19. Scar Symmetry

yes I do, and I wouldn't of said it if I didn't think it was extremely likely.

surely covering it up defeats the point of getting a tattoo?

20. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

Maybe not necessarily lyrics but I do enjoy tattoo's of words and quotes. Except for the notoriously cliche ones anyway.