Ibanez Xiphos XPT707FX

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Malacoda, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Malacoda

Malacoda Fogdiver

I actually sold this guitar recently, but I noticed that there wasn't a review up for it yet so I decided to let people know about it!

Features: Pretty sweet. I'm a TOM guy, so the Gibraltar custom bridge was very nice. Excellent intonation, and the string-thru body was also cool. The tuners, although not any famous brand name like Gotoh or Grover, held the tune very well. The 25.5" scale was totally fine because of the reverse headstock, which added loads of tension to the lowest string; held up very nicely even in like Drop G#. The neck is definitely the best part about the guitar - it's by far the thinnest 7 I've ever played. It's tiny, tiny, tiny. Neck-through allows for generally good access - you can definitely get up to all 24 on the top 2 strings, though the bottom strings are a stretch (but who uses 24th frets on those anyways?)

Sound: I think Ibanez made a mistake pairing the D Activators with a mahogany body. Now, I know people love the Activators, but in my Xiphos, they sounded just too muddy. Maybe I got a lemon :shrug:. Anyways, there wasn't a big difference between the bridge and neck pickups, so leads were a little too trebly and rhythm was a bit too muddy. Aside from the pickup issues, it sounded fine, but the pickups significantly lowered the sound quality.

Action, Fit, and Finish: Action was great, no problems whatsoever. Very low. I did have some problems with the fit, however. I normally love the looks of pointy guitars, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. However, this one was just kind of awkward. I sit classical style, and the input jack ended up being placed right on top of my right thigh, so the cable came out quite a lot. The input jack is fairly deep into the body, so it takes a bit of getting used to before you can slot it in without any issues. For the first couple weeks I had this, I scratched around the input jack a lot before the cable went in because of the placement. It's a fairly light 7, but by no means lightweight. The finish is one of those that you can't really photograph - it's gray chameleon, so it changes from purplish to grayish to blackish to greenish. Very cool. And, as a bonus, it's rather thick - I bumped the bottom horn once and the ding didn't even go through to the wood. Unfortunately, the placement of the lower strap button is also an issue - makes it very neck heavy, so I'd recommend moving it higher up. I did this on mine.

Reliability: The only issues I had with this guitar were entirely my own fault. I soldered a killswitch on in place of the tone knob incorrectly, so any issues were not the guitar's issue, but mine. Excellent reliability.

Customer Support: Never dealt with Ibanez, and bought this used anyways.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5.
    Pros: Amazing neck, awesome finish, good tuners, reverse headstock.
    Cons: Shape can be awkward, input jack is placed poorly, and the pickups (IMO) need improvement.

Definitely recommended, if you can get used to the body and input jack and swap out the pups for Bare Knuckles or something. Try for used though, because it's overpriced new.

Link to my gallery of Xiphos pics: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/109677-xiphos-xpt707fx-picture-gallery.html

2. XPT707FX

XPT707FX SS.org Regular

The guitar is a maple/walnut neck through with mahogany wings other than that great review

3. Malacoda

Malacoda Fogdiver

Added info!

4. Survival101

Survival101 Banned

I actually had the same problem with the stock pickups. I swapped the bridge out for a Seymour Duncan Invader and am very content with the sound. Good for traditional death metal imho.
    Great review though! Hit everything head on.

5. Nofear

Nofear SS.org Regular

I got the perfect deal on mine, I got it used in pristine condition and swapped the pickups for Seymour Duncan Blackouts, one of the best guitars Ive played after the upgrade :metal:

6. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Sith Lord

The D-Activators are anything but muddy. I blame the guitar if anything!
    I have a set of D-Activators in my Carvin DC727 all Mahogany with a Maple top and they kill.

7. SRV

SRV SS.org Regular

Certainly the D-Activator mounted on this guitar are good just to remove all the harmonics that this wonderful instrument generate (like they sucks). I replaced them with the couple of Seymour Duncan Invader 7, I highly recommend to add a switch or a push-pull for split p.ups, the clean sound using the single coil position will be very similar to the piezo sound!!!

8. Shredenvain

Shredenvain SS.org Regular

i own one of these and the pickups sound great to me lots of gain and clarity. i also have trouble with strap button placement makes it neck heavy where should i move it to

9. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

definitely did have some issues with the somewhat 'sticky' painted neck.

but the guitar was a monster.

also some upper fret access issues but overall it was very very nice