Ibanez UV7PWH

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Shawn, May 28, 2005.

1. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I'd thought of starting a general review of the Ibanez UV7PWH. :cool:
    872 made according to Jemsite. Available from 1990 to 1993.

I have a 1991.
    I like the guitar overall. Nothing about it that I dont like.:agreed:

I have been lusting after one since I saw Trey Morbid Angel
    play one live in 1994. I remember seeing one with Steve Vai a few years prior.

I just bought one from Rich in March 2005. He set it up so mint.
    I first found myself judging from the set-up that is was the best guitar I've ever played.

For sound, Well....I haven't been doing much comparisons to my 7620 or my S7420.
    But I notice it is a great sounding guitar and perfect for any music I am playing.

Drew, your right about the resonance of this guitar. The sound flows.;)

The Non All Access Neck Joint at first was uneasy but now, I have become comfortable with it.
    The differences in the non AANJ and the AANJ are clearly noticable.
    I've been used to the RG 7620 neck for 7 years. It took me a few days to get used to it.

So lets hear the good and bad and sexy about this UV. :)

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, mine's alledgedly somewhat of a freak in that regard, Shawn. I think it has something to do with how much of the finish is missing. :lol: Tonally, mine reminds me a bit more of mahogany, but with a true low end, rather than merely deep low mids. Highs aren't as explosive as my strat, but I'm leaning towards a SD Jazz/JB set to fix that...

Once you get used to the non-AANJ, upper access isn't too bad, although there's a definite decrease in sustain on the top couple frets. Fretwire's noticeably smaller than my 7620's - not worn, just legitimately shorter and narrower - which took a little bit of work to get used to (I had to clean up my articulations a bit), but is like butter for sliding up and down the neck - nice.

the neck Blaze is VERY Steve Vai, particularly for alternate picking. This is true even in a Mesa Nomad. This could bother some, but let's just say I'll never be confused with Steve, so I'm not too worried. ;) Strangely, the Blaze bridge is less so, and the slight scoop works like a charm with the uber-middy Mesa I play it with. the single coil, as much as I love singles, is actually the weakest link here - it's not terribly organic, and isn't as crisp as a good strat should be. although, the "in between" position four sound is pretty sweet, so it works out ok. :)

the neck profile differs quite a bit from the 7620, too. They seem to be the same thickness, but the UV is more round, very C shaped, while the RG is a boxier D. This makes the RG feel thicker than the UV, and while it's all ice cream the UV felt immediaely more comfortable to me. apparently, they've changed the dimentions again, for the 777BK, but having never played one I can't comment. Well, I suppose I could comment, actually, but it wouldn't count for much. :lol:

That's it, really - a killer guitar with quite a bit of old-school Fender/Jimi vibe to it.

-D

3. Shawn

Drew, I forgot to tell you this. When I first got the guitar when I got home from work, I opened it up like a kid opening a Christmas Present. I was psyched at the same time that I thinking to myself that my rig was still at a club where we played at the weekend before. So I called up my friend to try this baby out through his Fender Twin Reverb. It totally smoked through that amp.

The highs weren't explosive as you said only after he plugged his strat in and you could tell
    the difference right off.

I let him play it for a while (I had to think about it for a moment :lol:) .I trusted him.
    He set the toggle to the middle single coil and strummed the chords to "You cant always get what you want" by the Stones and then he played "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Sweet Melissa"
    and the guitar sounded so sweet.I compared the tones I was getting from a DSL 100 and I
    think the DSL smokes.:)

So a Mesa Nomad huh? I might want to get one. I had a friend that had one. Sweet amp.

Your PWH is very sweet. ;)

Now are you going with different pickups?

Record a few songs with the stock. I'd like to hear it.

4. Shawn

A progression that Im finding a great practice for playing up where the Non-AANJ of my PWH is this-
    (Drew, edit to make them more meadable if need be ;) ).
    --------------17-19-22-19-17--------------------
    ----18-17-18-----------------18-17-13-----------
    ----------------------------------------16-14----
    ----------------------------------------------15-
    --------------------------------------------------

Something I have written for part of a solo in one of my new songs.
    I had wrote it on my 7620 which, the first part of it is fairly easy but a little altered on my PWH because of the back neck plate of the Non-AANJ.
    I've gotten more comfortable with it though.
    :)

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That actually came out lined up.

I can't even really feel the neck joint while playing that, both as is there and with the lower stuff transposed up to the 22nd-17th of the D string, like I'm guessing you originally wrote it. The joint got in the way for you there?

Maybe it's just because I no longer own anything with an aanj except for my bass (and who play a bass that hiogh? :lol:), but the joint doesn't bother me in the least anymroe.

-D

6. Shawn

A little. Not bad at all as I got used to it rapidly. The thing is I go as high up to the 24th in that progression and so forth on the other strings but like I said, I have become used to it. The difference of playing it on the 7620 is noticable though.
    Thinner in that area of the neck. :)

7. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Well, seeing as i bought one a while ago I'll briefly chime in.

I've always loved the old UV's (a morbid angel seeded obsession), and have owned 4 of them, of which this is the 4th (the others all being UV7BK's) Now, the only difference really is the finish between this and the BK, but still, the PWH is the first UV i've had where i've actually liked the Blaze in the bridge. It also has the nicest playing neck i've pretty much had out of all of them, and has also got the most resonance. God knows why, but I am starting to think they did put magic wood in these pwh's judging by what people have said above...

As far as the old neck joint goes, well, i've never really been too bothered by it as i started off playing old UV's. The AANJ on the 2027 is nice, but I have no problems with the heel joint at all. used to it :)

Fantastic guitar with a great vibe to it. Classy and understated looking, with enough flash to it to get it noticed. That and having that wonderfull finish that yellows with age and cures my desire for an aged olympic white strat.

8. Shawn

Wow. I totally forgot about this thread...lol.

James, I remember when Rich first acquired the one he sold you, he emailed me the pics and I was looking to pick it up as a second or more or less as a player but at the same time, I had to spend over a grand getting my winter car going, that and I thought he was asking too much but I still wanted it though. I like the looks of a beat up PWH and especially since that was a '90 with the single coil having silver pole pieces rather than black looks classy.

I think it's cool like Drews. Beat up or not, I love the PWH and it's real nice seeing others here have one and it's nice hearing all the great things about this guitar. Im glad I have one. I can't be greedy enough to buy another now that I think about it.......that is unless I find a great deal on one. :D

9. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Mmmmmmmmm...
    If I ever buy another Ibanez again, it'll be the UV7PWH. T'was my first 7 and a damn nice looking guitar.

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Well, actually, it's not as beat as I think Rich made it out to be. There is a nasty ding and indentation in the wood on the lower horn, but apart from that it's a lot less chipped body wise than my other UV. That and I got it cheaper because of the case it was in and as i didn't want a setup doing on it. Saying that, all my guitars become players as babying them goes so far, but they always get nicked if you play them out.

Besides, for this axe i won't mind the dings as it kind of gives it some charm, and the main reason i wanted one is that i've always like aged white strats, and this is like the 7string upgrade to it :)

Really is an awesome guitar, and gorgeous to look at as well! If I had the cash I'd definately pick another one of these up, just to be all out greedy and decadent ;)

I'm glad you didn't pick it up at the time, as it is such an awesome player :)

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

+1. Mine was bought largely because I fell hard for, and then missed, a trashed '71 Tele in a local guitar store. I'd never seen a really beat up white guitar before, and man. :D

(the fact it sounds ungodly didn't hurt, either.... God damn I love how this guitar sounds)