Ibanez SRC6 Crossover 6-String Question

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Carl Kolchak, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

An RG9C should work, but I doubt it's significantly smaller than a bass case. Might have to take it to some shops and try cases out.

Cases are made to protect, outer dimensions are rarely considered.

2. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

I actually found a case that most likely fits the measurements AND fits the SCR - Gators JAG-case (wood deluxe). Inner measurements are big enough for the bass and outer measurements a lot smaller than your normal bass/ERG case. Had to order it online, though, so can't be absolutely sure yet. I'll report here when I get it. :)

3. skeeler

skeeler SS.org Regular

Can you report back on how the SRC6 fits in this case? I'm intersted in one of these instruments, but I'd like to get a hardcore for it?

On a related note, does anyone know if Gator's baritone guitar case fits nicely?

Gator Deluxe ABS Molded Case - Extra Long Baritone Guitar | Sweetwater.com

4. Fathand

5. Action

Action SS.org Regular

I realized this is the case I have for my schecter 8. Let's do a test fit...

The upper horn of the src6 does not fit. It would with a modification to the foam padding, which would probably be ugly.

[​IMG]

6. skeeler

skeeler SS.org Regular

7. skeeler

skeeler SS.org Regular

One more question about the SRC6:

I'm not a big fan of Cosmo Black. Since I would likely replace the tuners with lightweight models anyway, I might as well change the bridge to a different color. Does anyone know if other Ibanez bridges are direct replacements for the Tight End bridge on the SRC6?

8. Fathand

9. skeeler

skeeler SS.org Regular

Great. Thanks.

10. John Fucking Bonham

John Fucking Bonham SS.org Regular

Do you have a part number for those strings? I understand that the Tapered boomers might work but I can't seem to find anything other than large scale? I'm a bit of a newb so you'll have to bare with me. Thanks in advance!

11. Fathand

If IRC, they were the A and D string from a GHS .115 - .50 set, working as the E and A string for the SRC. I can't check anymore because the bass moved on a while ago.

12. alwaysnew

alwaysnew SS.org Regular

Has anyone tried putting "normal" guitar strings on the SRC6? Would it work? Just curious to see if it could double as an electric guitar with, say .46 as the lower E. Would it be too floppy?

13. Aidil

Aidil SS.org Regular

Never done it and wouldn't even consider it. They were quite floppy enough using the stock .084 as the low E (E1) and I'm happy with current .095 replacement from La Bella's.

But what do you mean by "it could double as an electric guitar"? You 'd like it to be tuned E1-A1-D2-G2-B2-E3 just as standard SRC6 tuning and also could be tighten up to electric guitar standard E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4 tuning?

14. alwaysnew

alwaysnew SS.org Regular

Sorry, maybe I was a bit unclear. What I was thinking was tuning to E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4 with thinner guitar strings. Kind of like a piccolo 6-string bass.

(Been looking for a guitar with a bridge placed close to the bottom like the SRC6 (like most bass guitars actually), but there are few options.)

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

soooo you want a standard tuned E guitar, but on a 30" scale?

the reason why the bridge is so close to the edge of the body (like basses are), is because the longer scale lenght required, so the guitar/bass body wont be too huge either. Only way you could find that on a standard guitar is with a headless model as the body is smaller to acces the tunners of the bridge. If I understand your post corectly, then this is your way to go. This Ibanez has too big of a scale lenght in order to be usefull for a standard E tuning guitar. Unless you like humongous amounts of tension, even with a set of 9's

16. alwaysnew

alwaysnew SS.org Regular

You are probably right. And the fret size might be too big for guitar-like chords and such.

Too bad I have such a hard time with the look and feel of headless guitars... :(

17. Aidil

Aidil SS.org Regular

as mentioned by @A-Branger, you'd get too much of tension, in case you are using usual guitar gauges .010-.046.

But come to think of it... the standard gauge for the D2 string on the SRC6 is .056 and its high E3 string is .024. So... maybe... just maybe... a .010-.046 set would still be usable on the SRC6 tuned E2-A2-D3-G3-B3-E4... or maybe using .008-038 set.