Ibanez SRC6 Crossover 6-String Question

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Carl Kolchak, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Daniel13

Daniel13 SS.org Regular

ok just tried drop C# and personally it sounds good and feels good to me, a little floppy but nothing that you won't get used to in 5 minutes. sounds good for most metal except Djenting in my opinion. drop C is the hard limit though so anything lower would definitely require a 95 and with that you might be able to get down to drop B or even drop A (i might need to try that lol)

2. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    So, i just grabbed one up.. haven't really played it yet.

I'm on justrstrings and looking for set of heavier strings for C#

Thing is... I'm not even sure what to search for to find a set for this instruments. Search keeps bringing up baritone guitar strings, or standard 6-string bass strings. Anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanx in advance :hbang:

3. Daniel13

Daniel13 SS.org Regular

4. Metalman X

Awesome! Thank you! Ordered up a set a couple days ago and expecting them to arrive tomorrow.

so as you guys may have surmised from that initial bit, I picked up one of these badboys from Samash a couple days ago (Thankfully, an almost too easy decision since I got most my Samash credit card paid off). So far, very impressed! Definitely fun to play, and sounds great too. Gets closer to a standard bass tone than I expected, in fact, which is awesome. Stock strings are a tad floppy even in the standard tuning, but still fun to play... once my new set gets here and I tune it where I want it I suspect I'll have a real hard time putting it down!

Bottom line, anybody on the fence about grabbing one, I say take the plunge. It's a very cool axe indeed! :hbang:

5. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Let us know how well those strings fit into the string-through bridge. A friend of mine has an SRC6 and wants to get heavier strings than a standard .095 on the low end.

6. Metalman X

will do. the standard is an .84 though. I ordered a .94 or a .96 so we'll see how those work. Theres one or two sets larger than that available, but according to what others said here, those may not fit, so hoping that the .96 is enough.

7. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Oh really, I didn't realize it was that thin. I have a Schecter Bass VI with a .095 on the low E, and I end up wanting more tension (although I'm a bass player).

8. Metalman X

So I just spent about an hour playing direct into my DAW, just playing, and also dialing in a couple of presets for it on a POD X3 Pro.

And I gotta say,using a dual tone preset that consisted of one side a clean GK RB and another side an overdriven Ampeg SVT, and some compression, I can get a killer DD Verni style overdriven thrash 'clang'. Me likey!

9. Metalman X

Okay... little update...

Got my strings from Circle-K today (nice packaging, might I add), got the following set

Low to high:
    22p

Well, for those curious, the .94 does NOT fit the stock tuner. Almost, but not quite. Kinda' a bummer, BUT I'm a handy guy... I drilled out the tuning peg a tad, and viola! Fit's like a glove! Could even go up another size or two now if I want to... and I'm thinking I might wanna go up the one more size. Not sure yet. Gonna grab some grub, take a puff, and tune and intonate it in a few, than I'll know for sure.

So yeah... for those of you interested in what will fit this fooker, now you know... stock, not much above the stock .86 string. But if you got a steady hand, little patience, you can easily drill out the peg hole wider and make it work... so long as your not squeemish about doing semi-sorta-irreversible changes to the instrument

10. PunchLine

PunchLine SS.org Regular

Cool! Which tuning do you use, the factory tuning E-to-E or something else? I also got one 10 days ago and I love this instrument already. The clean chords sound super when the the lowest note of the chord is played on the low A string but not so much when the it is played on the low E string.

11. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

Let's up this because now I can give some user feedback on this bass hybrid.. had first band rehearsals with the SRC a couple of days ago.

Background: We've had a bit of a break for the last 18 months and I pretty much went to playing guitar 99% of the time - I bought the SRC to get a more guitar like feel on a bass so that all the hard work I put into guitar playing won't go into waste. As we all know, hitting a 34" scale 4-string bass vs. a 6/7 -string guitar IS a different beast position wise etc.

We tune to D-standard, but my work is pretty much in the 2 lowest strings (+ some 5ths on the 3rd - hey, it's old school DM :D). Looked at my leftover strings -box and decided that a GHS Bass boomer .95 and .70 will have to do for the low D & G -strings. Didn't change anything else. Swapped the strings, tuned to DGDGBE - boom, just about perfect. It might be better with a tad thicker strings and a little bit more tension but felt good enough to do.

Worked in rehearsals too - with the EMG's we're pretty much in the same territory that a 34" scale bass would be. The note decays a bit faster (IMO, at least) but under two Marshall stacks we're not getting that much into audible area anyways. In short: worked like a charm.

Plays like a guitar, so left & right hand positions are comfortable, the only thing I noticed is that my left hand muscle memory tries to skip a string every once and a while, when going between strings as the SRC's strings are a lot closer to each other than with a normal bass.

:yesway: to Ibanez, this hybrid seems to be working for my needs. Looking forward to testing this on a gig too (that's the real test for any instrument, IMHO)

12. Metalman X

Still diggin' mine. Especially with the bass expansion on my POD HD Pro X. I'm finding I get just as good a low end and everything with it than my 35" scale length Trabens... amazing. Especially with an Ibanez Phat-Hed overdrive in the HD's loop boosting the Ampeg SVT bright model. mixed with a clean signal

I did recently order up a size thicker string set from Circle K just cuz I feel like there could be a c-hair less flap on the current strings tuned to C# right now. Should be here later this week.

Anybody wonder how it would sound with a set of EMG DC's or CS' as opposed to the HZ's? I mean, lovin' it already as-is, but the tinkerer in me can't help but wonder.

Also... how awesome would this bass look with the same wood gain and flat black finish as on the Ibanez M80M guitar?! I would buy another one in a second in that finish.

13. Daniel13

Daniel13 SS.org Regular

i don't even want to think about new pickups for this thing lol i absolutely love this thing. definitely going to get new strings for it though what size E string did you go with?

i'm waiting for an S series version myself, i can go either stained black or the same finish both would be gorgeous.

14. Metalman X

Well, mines tuned down to C# standard. I just upped the strings a little more this weekend to a thicker Circle K set: 22p / 29 / 41 / 55 / 73 / 98

This set turns out to be the one I wanted. Tight enough, and great tone too. Just remember, I drilled out my low E tuning peg to a wider size. So if you plan on getting anything much more thicker than the stock set, you'll need to do the same. Or maybe theres a tuning peg you can get ready made like that somewhere, I'm sure, if you don't wanna drill it.

Yeah, I'm still thinking of painting mine flat black, like the M80M, or maybe going a vdarker forest green, like I did with a Brice bass awhile back.

I'm also wondering if I can track down a pair of EMG SSD pickups.... supposedly similar to what the HZ's became, but were originally made exclusively for Spector. I dunno... the SCR sounds great as is, especially with thicker strings. But the tinkerer in me just can't help but wonder if I can make it even better-er :wallbash:

15. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

DC would give you more high-end snap than the HZ, but if you want deep growly bass, the HZ is probably a better choice. EMG HZ pups get a lot of .... from guitarists, but they are great passive bass humbuckers.

16. Metalman X

I do want a tad more aggression... playing mostly blackened thrash type stuff, but I do some sludgy doom .... too.

I got a 35CS on the way. I already have a 35DC I'm pulling from another bass, as well as an EMG 3 band EQ w/ parametric mid (this will all be wired to 18v). I'm thinking DC in the bridge for that extra aggression, and CS in the sweetspot position. I usually play with the blend knob nearly centered with a slight favor towards the sweetspot. Basically want that deep low end bit with a nice aggressive bite on the top. I typically leave the active EQ's alone aside from boosting the midrange a few notches. The tone I shoot for that I hear in my head, and get 90% of the way there (thanks in large part to my POD HD Pro X and my Ibanez PD-7) is something like a cross between that Rex Brown and 2000's era D.D. Verni. Although I sometimes tinker with that real over the top drive that Peter Steele often used too.

Like I said.... most the way to what I want. But I think my hotrodding the SRC's electronics in this way may nail it. Thoughts?

On a side note, I own several other basses... three Trabens, and a couple of BC Riches. The SRC actually does everything any of those basses do tone wise, but trumps them all in terms of speedy pick playability. This is such a great tool for metal bass playing. The only thing it won't do is some of the slap n' pop stuff, which I enjoy doing from time to time, but doesn't really gel much with my writing style aside from occasional accents, so no big deal. That said, I've seen a dude on youtube slap on it... and it sounded fine. Maybe if someones got small enough hands? At 6'2"and over 400lbs I certainly don't, lol. (this bass looks like a little fiddle on me... as do most instruments really)

I'm just consistently impressed with it. I bought it to have something different... didn't expect it to become my go-to bass and it did. This from a guy who typically favored 35" scale length basses (which I still use for my low A tuned stuff I write on my Baritone guitars.... I don't see the SRC going that low with good intonation without serious mods)

17. Fathand

One thing about string size, if you don't want to drill the tuning pegs try GHS boomers - they taper towards the end of the string (the clothed red part of the string) - if you cut it from a suitable part it will fit the hole in the peg works nicely. I put a .95 in there without any mods and I would imagine a .100 would fit without a hitch also. :)

Other manufacturers might have the tapered ends also (D'addario maybe?), I just used what leftovers I had at home.

Still digging my SRC, another rehearsals behind me now and I'm finding the right feel/technique for this bass - I've had to lighten my pick hand attack a bit so that I don't hit three strings at once :lol:

18. Metalman X

So... this all happened...

NONE MORE BLACK! :hbang:

I still wanna do something different with the knobs though. Can't seem to find the cosmo black/dark chrome knobs to match the bridge and tuning pegs. And I imagine finding a concentric set for the parametric mids (which I had to locate to the rear of the control cavity to fit the second 9v) will be even more of a task.

But yes... 3 band EMG EQ w/ parametric mids, and a pair of EMG 35CS pickups (thought I had a DC around, was wrong... still may wanna get one for the bridge though)

Attached Files:

19. Fathand

Played the first gig with this thing last weekend.. it took a couple of songs to adjust after 10 years of muscle memory tried to kick in but after that worked like a charm. Plays more like a guitar (I play everything with a pick live) but still sounds like a bass.

I did notice that the .95 on the low E (or D, as we detune) was a bit too floppy, I tend to pick harder live and at times the string felt like boiled spaghetti. Gotta try a .100 next.

20. Fathand

Lifting this to see if anyone has information about a guitar case that the SCR would fit in? I need a case for flying + because I'm cheap - Bass case is too large (would have to pay extra). :)