Ibanez scale conversion/7th string/refinish

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by cerfew, Dec 9, 2010.

1. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

This isn't a thread asking what I should do, this is documenting what I'm currently doing (just so I don't get any posts saying 'it's a waste of time').

My friend had an Ibanez Gio (you know, the $5 guitars), and he also wanted a 7 string. After building my 7, he asked me if we could convert his guitar to a 7 string and I said sure, why not, I had extra wood left over to make a new neck out of.

I used the site Calculating Fret Positions to figure out the scale conversion- by adding 1 fret behind the nut, I increased the 25.5" scale to 27.016." Woo! perfect for a 7 string.

So far, I have routed out the neck pocket to accomodate the new neck. I will be replacing the Gio-style neck plate with Rg-style bolt bushings for a smoother feel.

The new bridge is going to be a flatmount, whereas the previous was one of those Strat-like tremolos. I have routed a cavity around the old spring cavity in the shape of a perfect rectangle, as well as around the bridge route, so they can be filled in solid with a chunk of Maple. I'm curious to see how this is going to sound...

PICTURES COMING SOON!!!

Shawn, Fred, TomPerverteau and 11 others like this.
  2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

good luck man, building threads are always a win in my opinion!!!

3. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

Pics. Guitar all stripped...

[​IMG]

Planned new neck pocket: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odd shape will be explained later.

Paint stripped:[​IMG]

I used a big machine belt sander to get the top and bottom, and a spindle sander (spinning dildo sander... lmao) to get the sides. I had to use a rasp & sandpaper to get the round edges, that was a pain in the ass.

[​IMG]

Modified lower horn, and hardly visible bevel. Nobody is gonna be able to tell this was a GIO, lol...

[​IMG]

Truss rod access. Anyone have an idea for a cover plate? The headstock is going to be painted black.

This guitar is pretty much a cheap piece of shit though. The routes look hand-done, and are horrible. Looks like the router bit was dull as hell too. The body is made from MANY pieces of maple glued together, with a shitty looking plywood veneer thrown on the top and bottom.

[​IMG]

Also, I routed around the bridge cavity and spring cavity, and filled them in with blocks. The bridge one can be seen above, here is the spring cavity:

[​IMG]

The bridge route came out a little tighter, but I was still happy with how well the pieces fit. I can fill the gap in with wood putty.

4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Very well done. Can't wait to see the finished product. You basically took a Gio and made it into a Prestige, or at least will be.

5. clouds

clouds SS.org Regular

Keep the updates comin!

6. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Awesome work so far man! I love following the project threads. Keep at it!

7. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

More stuff like this needs to happen, way more often. I'll be watching this thread! Keep up the great work!

8. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

SOB! I just wrote out a whole post with a ton of pics in it, then actually clicked the wrong button and went away from the page... lost all my progress. :O it's past midnight, and I don't feel like retyping it all. update coming tomorrow

9. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

FUK:wallbash:

10. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

Damnit! Hurry up and post again!!! :lol: I want to see more of this.

11. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

crap, how did I miss this thread?

12. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

Well, here is the new neck joint:
    [​IMG]

And from the side:

[​IMG]

Much better than the stock GIO steel plate, lol.

Neck bolted on, bridge placed:

[​IMG]

That was actually my most exciting moment right there, lol. I'm going to have to design my own pickguard, because the stock one no longer fits well between the neck and the bridge- there's about a cm gap from the bridge, and the neck protrudes about 8mm into the neck humbucker pocket. The blank material is on the way, I think I'm going to make a template and just route it out.

I stained the fretboard black. It looks pretty good, but I can't get a decent picture of it, sorry. I also did the walnut headstock laminate; I'm hoping that with the clear coat it's going to look gorgeous.

[​IMG]

And, I found that since the center of the guitar is maple, the stomach comfort bevel has some REALLY nice flame going on... So I stained it, and it's going to be clear, just right there. Lol.

[​IMG]

The rest of the guitar will be gray, with a black strip of faux-binding around the edges.

I started the carving of the heel and the volute:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However these are still in a pretty rough stage, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the volute or not, due to the ugly glue joint. Unless I paint the back of the headstock.

Fret bender:

[​IMG]

Result:

[​IMG]

Much easier than what i did last time (cut the lenghts first, then tried to bend around something with a small radius... :p)

Anyways, that's all I've got. Right now I'm in the process of grain filling the body so I can begin painting it once the weather clears up.

13. Mordacain

Awesome work man! Love the stain on that contour. A suggestion though, you might want to use a single-coil sized double-rail humbucker since the fretboard extrudes into the normal humbucker space. Ultimately it will sound more like it should using the single coil size.

Keep it coming!

14. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

Hmm, that's a really good idea actually... I like it. I'll incorporate it when I build the pickguard.

Only problem is that means I can't buy the used pickup I was planning on getting, lol.

EDIT: I can't find any decent 7-string single-coil size pickups. I guess that idea isn't going to work after all.

15. Mordacain

Yea, Seymour Duncan makes some of their better single coils in 7 string config, but not their hotrails for some reason. Dimarzio similarly doesn't.

I have read that will make them special order though I have no idea what pricing would be like.

Since that would probably be cost-prohibitive, it will probably be ok, looks like it will only be moved a CM or so south.

cerfew likes this.
  16. BlackMastodon

Looks amazing man. Not sure if I'm digging the sharp corners on that fretboard cut but it still beats the hell out of a GIO, keep it up.

17. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Interesting to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work comrade.

18. cerfew

cerfew SS.org Regular

The only reason I did that is because when I was routing the fretboard taper, a HUGE chunk chipped off right there. I didn't want to try and fill it with sawdust so I just cut off more to incorporate it into the design.

19. joaocunha

joaocunha A nomad Contributor

Dude, you're a genious. Really. Just subscribed to the thread, keep it updated. :yesway:

20. BlackMastodon

I don't mind the cut fret board on the higher frets of the lower strings, i just personally would have rounded the fret board in that area to be more of a wave shave or a smooth curve. All personal preference though.