Ibanez S7 help needed, anyone??

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Gamba, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

So, I'm about to sell my 7string in order to have another handmade 7string. However this time it will have a scale length of 27' and I was thinking about have its body shaped as a S model instead the RG. However as I never played a S7 before I have no idea of the body dimensions. I have played the 6 string frank gambale model for a long time and that guitar just kicks some serious ass.
    So, if anyone could help me by posting the dimensions I would be thankful.
    Ah
    locking nuts are needed too, anyone?

2. Stitch

Stitch Banned

Locking nuts can be scored from "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used FYI standard nut size is 47mm I believe :)

As for S dimensions, no idea, but the FGM is identical shap-wise to the old, square-heeled S series I believe. The necks are slightly different as are the pickups and colours, but shapewise they should be identical. :)

3. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

so is the same body thickness than the 6 models?

4. Stitch

Stitch Banned

Yes. i don't see why it wouldn't be. :)

I would assume it is since the ZR7 sticks out the same amount as the ZR6 on their respective models and the trem blocks are identical depths :)

5. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

Ok, cool.
    Thanks a lot dude!:yesway:

6. Stitch

Stitch Banned

More than welcome. Keep us updated with pics of this custom! What are the specs looking like now?

7. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

27' scale length
    neck through
    all mohogony
    ebony fingerboard, no inlays 26 frets, reverser ibanez headstock
    just the bridge pickup - emg custom shop, just like dino's kind of 7string 81/85 mixed in the same pickup
    low pro edge 7
    satin black
    Ibanez S shaped body

actually it is almost the same guitar that I'm selling but with a longer scale and S instead RG body

correct me if I'm wrong but $90 for a locking nut isn't like insanely expensive?

8. scott from _actual time_

scott from _actual time_ grumpy old man

the S body shape is very complicated--it's not something that could just be posted as dimensions. the Gambale, as others have said, should be very close if not identical to a square-heel neck 6-string S. the 7-string would only be bigger in the neck pocket, pickup & trem routes, and slightly smaller in the cutaways (to fit the bigger neck pocket).

the S outline is the same as the JS or the old R radius series. there used to be a CAD drawing of an R-series body on the net somewhere at one of those guitar building sites.

as for the S body contour, you'll really have to copy an existing one to see exactly how the contour flows. i've built two custom S bodies myself--they're both damn cool, but neither one is exactly the same as an Ibanez.

one suggestion--stock S's are 1 1/2" thick, which is 1/4" thinner than a strat, but the LACS S7's are 1 3/4" thick, the same as a strat. i made my S7's that larger thickness, 1 3/4", but with a similar contour to Ibanez, and i think the extra wood adds a lot to the tone. so you might consider making yours that 1/4" thicker.

9. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

wow, thanks for the info dude:yesway: