Ibanez RGIB6 - Low tuning & string options?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

SSO'ers, lend me your ears,

I'd like a 6-string guitar to downtune as far as C# (lowest 9-string tuning), so best way to go seems to be the Ibanez RGIB6 with its 28" scale, same as the Ibanez 9-string. However, I'm not sure the bridge, nut or tuner will hold a 090 string (or slightly thicker). Anyone has any experience on this with the RGIB6?

2. ThomasUV777

Ow, I'm also considering the Chapman ML1 Baritone (of which I'll probably have to swap out the pickups, so extra cost) or the Ibanez SRC6 with its 30" scale (again, pickup swap, probably with an 81-7)

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

you'll definitely need to drill out the tuner or unwrap the string.

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I had an Ibanez RGIR20FE, which is the standard scale version of the same guitar, and it was a total piece of shit, so yeah I don't recommend it.
    -sharp fret ends
    -sticky neck
    -static-y knobs
    -one of the pickups wouldn't sit flat

If the guitar were made to higher quality standards then it would be excellent. It looks sharp and I love the kill switch. 28" is also the ideal scale for a baritone guitar imo. It's just too bad that Iron Label sucks dick.

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  6. ThomasUV777

Well that schecter is certainly something I'll be looking into. Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately it's not something that'll be available second hand any time soon I'm guessing (in Belgium).

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

if you want to play that low then you're going to want a bass vi or the SRC6. That extra bit of scale will help give some more oomph to the tuning you want. With 27/28" scales you need relatively large strings to play the C# and make it sound decent ( I think I was running a .105 or something on my 8 string when I used to try and tune that low). Definitely going to have to drill out the tuner if you're going that big. Personally I'd look into the SRC6 if the schecter hellcat or fender bass vi isn't available near you.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

But then again, since 28" scale 6 string guitars aren't all that common, maybe it'd be worth it to get the crummy Iron Label and take it to get all modded up. Get the fret ends, sand the neck some, have someone tool up the electronics, and you'll have one of the cooler looking affordable baritone guitars that are out there.

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I'd go with the Iron Label. Just because someone had a very bad experience with it doesn't mean all of them are very bad, there's at least an equal amount of users here who have ILs that are in great shape. If there are stores close to you that sell them, then you should go try one out.

10. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I had one and loved it. Didn’t go that low but had it down to F#.

Modded the crap out of it and replaced the tuners, threw a pickguard on it and chucked in a Warpig and it slayed.

I grabbed it used from a good guy here who had set it up really well, fret ends were done etc. Was a good guitar for me for a long time.

I’d think you could replace the tuners and sand some out of the edges of the bridge saddles if you had to and it’d work.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Ended up like this:

40B98625-35AE-44A5-B62D-C7CA8F4A0B44.jpeg 52C2D9CB-8000-4DC1-BAD1-9E0C3F4F89AA.jpeg