Ibanez RGD7321

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by GSingleton, Jun 21, 2011.

1. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

Alright. Here is a review of the 2011 Ibanez RGD7321 (Flat Black Finish).
    *This is review is stock everything*(Including the light strings ibanez usually puts on their guitars)

[​IMG]

SPECS
    Neck Material:
    5pc Maple/ Walnut
    Neck Type: WIzard II-7 (26.5")
    Body: Basswood body
    Frets: Jumbo frets
    Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood
    Inlay: RGD special inlay
    Bridge: Gibraltar Standard 7 bridge
    NeckPU: CAP VK17
    BridgePU: CAP VK27
    HW Color: BK - Black
    Finishes: BKF - Flat Black

NECK DIMENSIONS
    [​IMG]

Scale/Length 672mm/26.5"
    a: Width at Nut 48mm
    b: Width Last Fret 68mm
    c: Thickness 1st Fret 19mm
    d: Thickness 12th Fret 21mm
    Radius 400mm ​

PICKUPS
    Bridge Pickup Name: CAP VK27
    Model No: CAP VK27
    Construction: Humbucking
    Magnet: Ceramic

Neck Pickup Name: CAP VK17
    Model No: CAP VK17
    Construction: Humbucking
    Magnet: Ceramic

First Impression:
    WOW! :hbang: Such a sleek thrashing machine! The finish is perfect for this guitar. The inlays are RGD inlays aka the ibanez check on its side, but I think it's funny because it looks like a backward 7 on this seven string guitar.
    Before even plugging it up I played a few chords and riffs to check out the action and Wizard neck. It was the typical ibanez feel which I love. I own an RG350DX and honestly this seven felt like I was playing a 6 string. The width is perfect and the 26.5 scale is amazing on this guitar.

The Gibraltar bridge definitely helps with sustain and keeping the action low and smooth. Probably the best guitar I have had sustain and feel wise. If you love ibanez and want your first 7 or another to add to your collection, I would definitely look at this monster.:yesway: First Impression 5:5

Plug it Up:
    The clean channel with the neck pickups is amazing. Its a warm, fully-bodied sound. I may not even change the neck pickup. Of course with the low action you can even solo very well at any speed. I also compliment this guitars sliding capabilities. Usually on other guitars I have used when I slide to another note there has been a decent loss of sound. Not here. When I slide it has perfect sustain and is setup for it so it retains a lot of sound.
    Distortion...Ok let's get real, when you get something like this, the stock pickups always make the bottom string sound muddy to a degree with distortion. Get over it til you can upgrade the pickups because this guitar still sounds like a beast.The chords are full once again. The action perfect. The pickups are nice and I can get harmonics where I need them. I am playing it through a New Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp, and this thing sings. It is also very versatile. It can play djent...to a degree with the stock pickups and without added pedals. It can definitely anything else. Jazz, metal, rock, blues....DONE! It can do anything. :cool: Pick it Up: 4:5

Action and Feel:
    Ok...it's ibanez people...action is low and fast. Wizard neck + Gibraltar bridge = one fast puppy. If you want that then you're set. This guitar feels amazing. Like I said, it really feels like I am playing a 6 string, and by that I am not saying that the strings have actually a nice amount of space between then but not too much. The cut away at the lower horn is perfect. It's so easy to reach all the frets. Compared to something like a hellraiser 7, this guitar doesnt hinder your playing one bit. Like Rusty Cooley said about his 7, the only limitations you have with this guitar, is the ones you put on yourself. (Pickups excluded.) :lol:
    The body is thinner than a normal RG style guitar which I actually enjoy and the finish adds an almost suede look and feel to it. Definitely A + for appearance.
    I definitely love the ibanez feel and I know it is not for everyone, if you like thicker necks then stay away. Action and Feel: 5:5

Overall:
    This guitar is awesome. I love it. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for your first 7 string guitar or adding to your guitar family. NOTICE* This guitar does not come with a tremolo system. I chose this one because I have a 6 string with one and I wanted this guitar for quick tuning changes.
    The pickups leave some room for improvement of course, mainly with distortion. Drop some nice passive pickups in it and you are good to go, BKP or Liquidfire/crunchlab IMO. Also, I believe the neck pickup is absolutely gorgeous. Its full and warm and everything you want in a good neck pickup. try it out on your own and see.
    The action is the typical ibanez action and if you are into that then you will love it. If you like some meaty necks then stay away.
    Of course the 26.5 scale is nice and I believe this is one of the only 26.5 scale guitars ibanez makes. I Know they have a few and I definitely approve.

Overall: 4:5 due to pickups and I cannot comment on reliability or customer support yet. I'd definitely advise picking one up and trying it. Drop some better pickups in it and unleash the inner beast.

Hope this has been helpful.

Sincerely,
    G. Singleton :wavey:

*Also, could a mod or admin add a picture of this so it will show on the forum. It wont let me do it for some odd reason.

2. Vicissitude27

Vicissitude27 I'm always angry.

Thanks for the review dude, I'm looking into getting one of these for

a) fixed bridge
    b) longer scale length (main reason)

and your review surely helped :yesway:

Anthony

3. GSingleton

The more I play this guitar, the more I love it. Hope you enjoy it if you get it.

4. Captain_Awesome

Captain_Awesome Cloudwalker

Will this ever come to Europe, I'm super annoyed at Ibanez!

5. Cannibalbritney

Cannibalbritney SS.org Regular

I have been really considering getting one of these... but I'm very weary about the gibraltar bridge design... don't know how upgrading those saddles will be... might have to end up fabricating my own graphite saddles, or bone if graphtech doesn't pick em up... im diggin the 400mm radius tho.

6. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

how is the finish? does it wear up?

7. GSingleton

To answer your questions:

Cannibal: The bridge design is great imo. Of course from contact I have worn the paint off of the screw but it does not bother. It feel and plays great. Lots of sustain from the bridge, and if you did change it, I do not believe it would be hard. Just unscrew it off and make sure the newer one fits the same space.

Oceans: Where it is the matte finish, like other similar finishes, it becomes slightly glossy where contact is constantly applied. Hence, on mine, you can tell where my wrist/forearm rests. It just comes with the finish. I believe it adds character.

Hope this helps.