ibanez RGD2127FX vs RGAIX7U

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by astm, Oct 7, 2018.

1. astm

astm SS.org Regular

I was trying to find a comparison between these two, but haven't found anything. I already have a 7 string guitar (modded rg1527 with blaze n/blaze custom) and want a fixed bridge one and around my area I can get both for around the same price each. Has anybody had the chance to compare both? The RGD really looks great, but I already have a basswood 7string and I should change the pickups most probably, but It's a prestige guitar and hace a little extended scale (26.5"), thinking that I want to have that guitar probably with a drp A. The RGA on the other hand comes with BKP (Aftermath), made in indonesia though.

Thanks in advance

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the quality on the prestige will be better.
    and also the scale lengths are completely different.

3. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

There’s no comparison because there is nothing to compare,

Prestige, better neck and frets
    Basswood body

Ironlabel
    Ash body
    BKP aftermaths

I’m sure the ironlabel seems better spec wise but unless you plan on fretwork and you loooooooove BKP aftermaths is stay away.

4. MaxAidingAres

Double post

5. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

This is nonsense, and all the more reason to compare. Also, there are PLENTY of non-prestige models with great fretwork.

OP, hopefully you can find a way to try them both out.

XPT707FX likes this.
  6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Try them both if you can. Don't automatically be dissuaded by the Iron Label. Some are good, some are bad, but that's why you try before you buy or at the very least, order from a place where you can return it.

7. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I own a rgd2127fx. It rules pretty hard. I would not hesitate to get one.

8. MaxAidingAres

How is my post nonsense? Telling somebody to find a diamond in the rough vs garunteed quality. How can you boast about quality if you have to play hop potatoe till you find a good one.

I understand quality comes at all price points and country of origin. I’ve had plenty of Chinese and Indonesian guitars blow me away.

But I’d never compare even the best iron label to a prestige. Maybe that’s just me

9. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Rgd 2127fx hands down.

If you can try both instruments, do it, then buy the rgd.

10. mlp187

You say there is nothing to compare, than list reasons to compare.
    Then, by your own account, you’ve been impressed w/ Chinese and Indo guitars.

Prestige doesn’t guarantee quality, and Iron Label doesn’t mean “planning on fretwork.”

That’s why your post was nonsense.

11. MaxAidingAres

Lol I meant I was impressed by cheap ass guitars, like sub $200 like wow the fret ends aren’t super sharp and the fretwork isn’t atrocious. Still would never compare them to the quality of a prestige. And have you ever played a bad prestige? I haven’t granted I may have been lucky? I’ve played plenty of sub par iron labels and they push $1000 and some.

You can’t compare these guitars because they are different. I compared nothing! I listed differences! How can you compare a 26.5 mij 7 string with a 25.5 miI 7 string. Different body shapes and styles. Literally everything but the neck wood is different. How can you compare? I’m sorry you don’t seem to understand.

Not trying come off defensive or aggressive. It’s just ridiculous to compare two guitars that are so different. With that said the rgd is going to be far superior in quality. The iron label rga has more features but that’s it! Like it’s funny that Ibanez is shoving more and more features into there premium and iron label line to make them more appealing but can’t tackle the QC.

Masoo2 and gienek like this.
  12. mlp187

I’m cool with differing opinions but not blanket statemets. If buying an Iron Label meant planning on fretwork then Iron Labels wouldn’t sell. I’m not implying there aren’t some turds floating in the market, though.
    Bottom line is i’m calling out your blanket statements in your original post.

Yes, i’ve had the misfortune of owning one with some subpar fretwork, and one that was a nice guitar but nothing special.
    There is a completely average RGA 121 at my local guitar center hanging on the wall (since January-ish) with a nice setup that still isn’t as nice as the RGAIX across the room. It happens. That being said, i have a very nice RGA752FXLW.

I also have an RG7PCMLTD that is fucking insanely nice.

They are both in my album on this site.

The list of differences is reason enough for side-by-side comparison. They are both seven string guitars with different features. Why not compare? There is no guarantee the prestige will automatically be a best fit for the OP.

I don’t understand your blanket statements made in your original post, nor do i understand resistance to comparison.

It really isn’t ridiculous to compare them. Again, why not
    compare?
    I’ve owned three fantastic premiums now, and have only played one that needed some fretwork from the first run (back in 2012ish, i think).

Not the same, but if you are in my area, your are welcome to come over and play my guitars.

13. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yep... bought an RGD2127 a few years back... sent it back because bad fretwork. I could totally accept that fretwork on a 500€ guitar (not liking it but accept it because of the low price if everything else is nice) but not in a guitar with mediocre pickups at more than twice that price... NOPE.

So no, Prestige is not synonym for "perfection" or anything close at least in my experience... also I had a RG3120 that was amazing even with worn out frets... it played like 200 times better than the new-from-factory RGD2127 so...

Yes, better try both specially because we are talking about different scale lengths and you might like one scale more than the other...

14. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I've played both, own a RGD2127Z...

The RGA is an arch top, slightly smaller scale length and is an alright guitar. If you like arch tops and how it plays then you'll enjoy it.

The RGD is much more ergonomic. It's beveled on the bottom horn giving much easier access to the upper frets than the RGA. Longer scale length means you have have it in drop A and not worry about tuning stability.

On either guitar, you're going to have to make modifications like locking tuners, you'll probably want to ditch that bridge and put in a hipshot replacement and TUSQ or graphite nut. Both will likely need some fretwork as Ibanez is slacking these days in that department on all likes (other than LACS).

If it were me, I'd actually go for the RGD3127 instead of the 2127.

15. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I've never seen a Prestige with "bad" fretwork. A 10+ year old RGA121 with bad setup in a guitar store is no indicator of anything.
    I have however seen lots and lots of bad indo guitars including the RGAIX7U.

16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I won the lottery I guess...

17. astm

astm SS.org Regular

The RGD was sold and the RGA was on sale so I ended grabbing the latter. Amazing guitar. Even though I own 3 prestiges, this one is on par. Maybe fretwork isn't A+, but it isn't a big issue.. Thanks for the replies!