Ibanez RGD prestige 7UCS

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Gojiras, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Gojiras

Gojiras Concert photographer

i have been playing my Ibanez RG prestige 752 every night for a while and making progress. I just had an opportunity to buy a new prestige RGD 7UCS for an incredible price. It’s a guitar I have always admired from a distance. The uppercut Aftermath pickups are amazing. The ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets are really nice. Body carve is great and comfortable. The 26.5” scale length had me concerned it would be noticeable vs the 25.5” i’m Used to playing. The 7UCS came with 10’s vs 9’s. Over the last few days I have put some time on both. I do like 7UCS model it has me working a little harder and switching back and forth it makes playing my 752 a breeze, especially bending strings.

A few artists I admire play the Musicman JP7’s and majesty 7s. I have yet to play a JP 7 string. The jp6 I tried in the past left a positve impression on me. Anyone out there have experience with these two models. If so I would love to hear what you have to say about them. Thanks in advance.

2. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I love my RGD2127fx, the necks i perfect and plays great. Its also one of the more prettier guitars I've owned. I guess the RGD7UCS is even better :) I've owned a JP7 and i think the RGD wins, the JP7 neck is just way bulkier and not as comfortable.

teqnick likes this.
  3. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I have the 2127fx aswell and the neck is amazing, the paint is a bit fragile though. I have pretty small hands but its not a problem playing with 26.5"

4. Gojiras

Thanks for the mentioning the difference you experienced between the two. Helps..

5. Toxin

Toxin i don't drink vodka

Felt quite the opposite, sold my JP7 because of the very thin neck, neck profile (C) was great though, not liking the ibanez D shape
    Some ibanez models have C shape(j-customs, 1077xl, 7421xl), but RGD is not one of them, too bad...

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  6. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I would say the RGD is a thin C shape, it doesn't have the pronounced shoulder like the JP7 that killed my thumb.

7. Toxin

Toxin i don't drink vodka

Not sure if we talk about the same thing, but to me neck shoulder/ear is the edge of the neck, and every JP neck is all about smoothest thumb transition from center to the edge of the neck fretboard which means almost no shoulder

8. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

For me the JP7 was kinda square in the shape, I'm used to Schecter and LTD thath are fat but much rounder and barely have shoulders. Overall it felt way bulkier in the hand compared to the RGD or any other Ibby Prestige.

9. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

The Prestige 7 neck is substantially bulkier at the edges and more square-like than a JP7 neck. So much so that I'd call it an objective observation.

Toxin likes this.
  10. Gojiras

Thanks everyone so far for the discussion thus far. I am finding your opinions and thoughts helpful.
    The RGD7UCS makes me work a little harder than my RG752. Not sure if thats a positve or negative. When I swtich over to the RG752 I feel I play faster with less effort. These effects could be due to the increased scale length and the heavier strings of the RGD7UCS making me stronger. The neck feels good. Most local shops do not carry a JP7 or Majesty7 to try due to EBMM order back log. I could always order an open box model EBMM from the online dealers to compare with the RGD7UCS. One of the advantages I guess of the RGD7UCS is its abilty to handle drop tunings keeping the low strings from getty "sloppy"/ "loose".
    I could always record my rhythems with the RGD7UCS while soloing over it with the RG752. :)

I can't help but wonder what the advantages and strengths would the EBMM compared to this new Ibanez. I also need consider the strengths of this particular Ibanez model and how it compliments what I have.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018