Ibanez RG927QMZ trem problem or setup issue?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bnosam, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bnosam

bnosam Ibanez Player

I bought my first Ibanez premium guitar after hearing a lot about how good they are and how they rival prestiges. I bought an Ibanez RG927QMZ.

I took it to get set up and it cost me nearly $140 and the guitar won't stay in tune when I play with the trem to any extent. Is the Edge Zero II-7 tremolo w/ ZPS3Fe stabilizer supposed to be a good solid trem? I thought that's what people said about it when I did reviews on it.

Or did the guy set it up improperly or something? It goes about 20-40 cents out of tune and the 7th string tends to drop completely from A to around G.

2. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I guarantee you it's not set-up right.

Balancing a ZPS is a tad more difficult that setting up a floyd. The zero point stop needs to be set up at the neutral balance point of the trem, otherwise the stop will interfere with your trem and create some tuning instability. Personally, I like to remove the ZPS completely and leave the bridge free floating.

Why don't you set it up yourself?

Wolfhorsky and khm like this.
  3. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Yeah, there's absolutely no good reason for that trem to go out by that much and I would be very pissed at the tech that claimed it was done.

4. bnosam

bnosam Ibanez Player

To be honest, I was busy (I'm a student), lazy and I haven't set up a trem with a ZPS. The only guitars I've owned with trems were strats or prestiges with Edge pro bridges.

5. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

The strings could still be stretching...

6. bnosam

bnosam Ibanez Player

I thought that but how can you set it up and have it be in tune and maintain any sense of stability if the strings aren't already stretched?
    I tried stretching them myself and received no extra tuning stability at all.

7. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I have a edge 2 zps, first thing I did was remove the zps and now it is less stiff and stays in tune.

takotakumi and Leviathus like this.
  8. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Just take out that ZP bar and You can set it just like normal FR.

9. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

The ZPS does completely the opposite of what it was designed for, on this video this issue is addressed:

I had similar issue with my old RGD and ended up taking it out as well.
    Also, be sure that the stud bolts are locked in to ensure even more tuning stability.

khm likes this.
  10. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I find these feel and play better removing the bar and the extra tension springs, you'll basically never have an issue if you remove it and they then feel like a regular edge, buttery smooth :)

It also depends on string gauge and tuning apparently, Jason from Ishibashi mentioned that they were designed to work with 9-42 in E and that a lot of the issues are from different gauges and different tunings as the bridge sits in a different spot. Take from that what you will.