Ibanez RG7EXFX2

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Naren, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I bought this guitar a little over 2 weeks ago and I've played it every day, unplugged, plugged into my amp, plugged into my GNX3000, and plugged into several amps at band practice (with the volume cranked up loud). I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm planning on using it at my band's next gig which should be 2-3 weeks from now (at the time of this posting).

First, I'll start out with the guitars stats:
    Scale: 27"
    Pickups: EMG707 (bridge and neck)
    Pickup selector: 3-way (bridge, bridge+neck, neck)
    Controls: 1 volume and 1 tone
    Body: Basswood
    Neck: Maple/Wenge
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Fretboard markers: offset
    Bridge: Fixed
    Finish: Iron Pewter
    Hardware: Black
    Model: RG7EXFX2-IPT
    Manufactured in: South Korea

I'd like to talk about the guitar itself now. It has the most comfortable neck of any guitar I've ever played. The neck is flatter and thinner than my RG1527 and is smoother than any guitar I've ever played before. I really like how smooth the neck is in that it makes playing in any position extremely comfortable. Because it is a 27" scale, I had some trouble doing some of the longer stretches that I had no problem doing on my 25.5" and 24.75" scale guitars, but, after about a week of playing every day, I quickly adjusted to the difficult stretches on the longer scale and now they pose no problem at all. The actions are excellent on this guitar. There is no buzzing anywhere on the fretboard. The second day after I got the guitar, the humidity was pretty extreme and some parts of the fretboard started to buzz, so I slightly adjusted the truss rod, getting rid of the buzzing and getting an even better feel to the instrument. The tuners are not Gotoh but are regular Ibanez tuners, I believe, but the guitar stays consistently in tune. I keep it tuned in B standard and, if I don't mess around with other tunings, it will stay in tune for several days. I noticed at band practice that I never had to retune, which I occasionally had to do with my RG1527 (partially because of my use of the tremolo). Like all RGs, there is great access to all frets. The guitar's body is very comfortable and just feels right. I love the finish. In a regular lighting, it appears to be black, but if you shine light on it, it is a sparkly dark green color. The hardware is all black which fits perfectly with the finish.

Now for the sound. This is the second extended scale guitar I had ever played. I had played the Hellraiser before (26.5" scale) and had not really been particularly impressed by the EMG pickups or by the extended scale. With this guitar, however, I was blown away by both the pickups and the extended 27" scale. Due to the scale, notes ring out clear and vibrantly. It gave a powerful and brutal punch to rhythm guitar. There are songs that when I played with my band on my RG1527 had an extremely powerful kick that now with the RG7EXFX2 have a much much more powerful kick like being run over by a steam roller and being crushed and melted to death :lol:. Probably as a result of both the EMGs and the extended scale, the low B has a very very tight and clear sound. It is never muddy and it plays with more clarity than the A on one of my other guitars. The bridge and neck EMG707s sound great for distorted rhythm guitar and for leads. It just has a vibrant unique sound. But, what impressed me the most was the cleans on this guitar. I had always heard EMGs called "plastic" and bashed for their cleans and, to be honest, when I had tried a regular scale EMG-equipped six-string, I hadn't been impressed at all, but on this guitar, the cleans are just orgasmic. Playing arpeggios with the open D or G strings through my GNX3000 create some of the most beautiful cleans I've ever heard (literally better than I've heard in any recordings). Live and at practice, I pretty much only use the bridge pickup (because I find it too much of a bother to switch between bridge, neck and middle position), but the neck pickup sounds great for cleans and for solos/lead guitar.

I rated the features as a 5 because there are no other features I would want on this guitar. I rated "sound" and "action, fit & finish" as 5s because of the reasons described above. I rated reliability as a 5, even though I've only owned the guitar for a little over 2 weeks, simply from my experience up until now.

If you couldn't guess, I absolutely love this guitar. I'm sure some people will look down on it because it was manufactured in South Korea or because it's not a "prestige," but it actually plays and sounds better than many of the made-in-Japan guitars I've played and heard.

Well, there's my thorough in-depth review. :yesway:

Pictures here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...-guitar-picstory-rg7exfx2-ipt.html#post537341
    Some low-quality short video clips here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/32105-narens-rg7exfx2-sample-videos.html

2. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

On IBZ web site it's not a 27" it's a 25.5" :scratch:

3. Naren

Then you're looking at the wrong guitar. I've looked at the Ibanez websites and this is listed there as a 27" guitar. I can guarantee you it is not a 25.5" scale. I'd bet you $5000 this guitar is 27" if you were willing to bet against me. ;)

The EX in the title stands for "EXTREME" because it's a baritone. 25.5" is a regular normal scale. That'd be like saying the RG1077XL is a 24.75" scale. The XL in the title MEANS that it's extended range/baritone. The EX in the title for this guitar MEANS that it's an extended scale.

4. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I totally want this guitar.

5. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

No man I don't want to offend you or so... I just very like your guitar and in serching some info about it I was see that...

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

You japs sure keep the best ones to yourselves! I want one of those RG7EXFX2's too, but they're only sold in Japan... I've asked the Ibanez importer here in Finland if they can get one, and they said they can't :wallbash:
    Could you be kind enough to ask in the shop where you bought it if it's possible for them to send one over? Or maybe you could give me an e-mail adress where I could ask? It's a bit far (and expensive!) for me to travel there for a guitar...

7. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

8. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

This is a translated link to all the 7 strings they carry

Ikebe 7's

9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

thanks for the help guys. now i'm just wondering how much the shipping's gonna cost. i guess i'm gonna have to ask the shop directly. the guitar seems to cost only about 550 €, which is a little more than half of what my 1527 cost... i'm actually thinking of ordering right away :)
    I have to buy a new amp first though, more important, then i'll see if i can still afford that guitar.

10. Eric

Eric SS.org Regular

Hey bro, sorry if you mentioned this and I overlooked it but what year is the guitar?

11. Naren

Well, obviously since I just bought this last month, it'd be a 2007.

And, p0ke, it costs about HALF of your 1527? I also own a 1527 and I paid about $900 for my RG1527 and about $800 for my RG7EXFX2. How much did you pay for your 1527? $2000? :ugh: So, for me, my RG7EXFX2 was about $100 less than my RG1527.

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I paid 850 € for my 1527, I must've looked at the wrong price (There are three different prices for each guitar on that site). Anyways, it seems I'm not gonna afford that guitar this year... I need to buy a new amp first because my transistor Marshall simply isn't loud enough. The guitar wouldn't be too expensive if I could pick it up myself, but since I just happen to live on the other side of the globe, I'm also gonna have to pay for the shipping, which won't be cheap at all.

13. Naren

If you paid 850€ for your 1527, I assume you'd probably pay about 750-800€ for the RG7EXFX2, including shipping. Nowhere near "half."

14. E733

E733 DOOM

So I checked out those translated links.

I saw the list of all these amazing 7 strings that I want to ge tmy hands on, and I was unsuccessful in loading any pages, bc they said the URL was not found or whatever.

Help? I would really like to get my hands on one of these fine guitars.

Thanks so much! :wavey:

15. Naren

Here's the Ibanez website for this guitar: RG7EXFX2_IPT

It says at the bottom of the page that it's shipped with ADGCFAD tuning, which was weird, because when I got mine, it was tuned in standard (which was what I wanted, since I don't ever play my guitar in whole step down anymore). It also says that the list price is 115,500 yen, which makes me happier that I bought mine for about 85,000 yen.

But you can find all the specs on that page. It's not translated, but 70% of the stuff is already written in English. So you shouldn't have a problem reading it.

16. Eric

Eric SS.org Regular

"Well, obviously since I just bought this last month, it'd be a 2007."

:fawk:

Obviously... you had no mention of it being a brand new guitar. It was just an honest question. I did not know anything about this guitar or when they were made. No need for your smart-assed comments.

17. Naren

Quoting myself, "So I went to Ishibashi today and bought my new guitar: Ibanez RG7EXFX2-IPT." Maybe it's just because I live in Japan and people who don't live here don't know too much about Ishibashi, but Ishibashi doesn't sell any used guitars in their shops.

I've never bought a used guitar before (well, except for the first guitar I bought which was a 1967 Teisco stratocaster copy).

There was a need for my smart-assed comments. And what would it matter what year it was? Does it being a 2007 or a 2006 or a 2005 change anything? It's still a great guitar.

Even if I didn't come out and say "this is a NEW guitar," I think I said several things that indicated that it was new... but I'm pretty sure I DID say it was new. I just can't remember where.

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

yeah, i got that already. as I said, there are three prices for every guitar on that site so I must have copypasted the wrong one into the converter.

19. Naren

Gotcha. What amp are you planning on buying, by the way?

20. E733

E733 DOOM

Anyone know how I can get my hands on one of these guitars?