Ibanez RG2228GK

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Given To Fly, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

Ibanez RG2228GK

Features: The specs are on the Ibanez website so I trust people know them or can look them up. However, reading specs is not the same as playing the guitar so I will talk about a couple notable features. The neck is absolutely fantastic!!! It is literally the best neck I have ever played. Having said that, this is a 27" scale length 8 string guitar so you do have to stretch your fingers especially in the first position. But you never have to fight the neck to find a comfortable playing position. I also really like the fixed double locking bridge. It seems like a redundant feature but tuning stays solid no matter how hard you play. I only take the locking nut off to change strings.

Ease of Use: The guitar is pretty basic; 8 strings, 24 frets, two humbuckers, 3 way switch, FX3 bridge, volume and tone knobs. If you can play a guitar than at least the first 6 strings won't give you any problem.

Reliability: I would feel comfortable having this as my only guitar. There simply isn't very much on it that could break or be unreliable. Although, there is one irritating aspect. The neck flexes quite a bit. So if you have it laying down it will go noticeably sharp. If you kneel down while wearing it on a strap it will go noticeably flat. It's fine in a normal playing position but it can make you uneasy to hear the pitch change when all you did was reach for a metronome!

Value I believe these cost $2100 now and I would say that is a fair price. The guitar may be simple but the quality of every aspect is better than I've seen on any other Ibanez. My guitar is 2009 and I feel Ibanez went the extra mile to make sure the first production 8 string guitar, from any company, was as good as possible. It also comes with a fantastic case which I have not seen with any other Ibanez.

Expressiveness/Sounds: This is where the guitar suffers the most. At the time of its release, the EMG 808's were the only 8 string pickups available. They sound great with distortion until you get to the 8th string, that's when everything turns to mud unless you have some serious EQ working for you. Also EMG's are rather sterile to begin with and the guitar only has a 3 way switch. So in variety of tones, the guitar is somewhat limited. But the tones it gets are quite good especially with a clean sound. I may try the 18v mod and/or EMG 808x's though.

Overall: I'll put it this way, between an Ibanez Universe, Ernie Ball Music Man JP7, and the RG2228GK I had to sell two of the three guitars. I chose to keep the RG2228GK.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

I have an 18v mod on my 808s in my RGA8 and it really made the pickups... like they are really really good now. Also, try a different size string for the low if it sounds too muddy.