Ibanez RG1570MRR

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Donnie, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

So it's been a long time since I really played a 6 string and since my RG1570MRR showed up yesterday, I decided to set it up and use it at our show last night(which was bad ass, btw. :metal:)
    Out of the box, it actually played quite nice. All I did was stretch the stings out, retune it to drop-D, lowered the bridge just a touch and drop the pickups down as low as they would go to sort of reduce their output. I had also forgotten that Ibanez guitars came stock with .009s. I was over bending like a son of a bitch last night. :D I'll slap a set of 10s on it tonight.
    Soundwise, the stock pickups aren't to bad. I'm sure they'll eventually get changed out. I might go for some PAFs or something. It'll mostly be just a kicking around at home guitar anyway so a change in pickups is not a high priority.
    The neck is straight as an arrow and plays great. The fretboard seems a little dry so I'll treat it tonight when I change the strings too. I had forgotten how nice the backs of these prestige necks feel as I use to have an RG1527. Very smooth. And strangely enough, it didn't feel to odd playing this after playing 7s exclusively for the last year and 1/2.
    I didn't get a chance to really use the trem but from what I remember of my RG1527, I really like the new Edge Pros.
    The finish is pretty cool. Nice and sparkly. Although, you don't really notice it until the light hits it. It has a red, almost orange and a little bit of green sparkle to it. I also didn't realize that the headstock logo was, what I'm assuming to be, fake MOP. Or as I like to call it, Mother of Toilet Seat. :lol: None the less, it looks pretty cool. Hard to get a good picture of though.
    And it's not a perfect finish, either. And I didn't expext it to be. It has a few bumps on the edges and such. Not a big deal to me though.
    Overall, I'd give it about an 8 out of 10. My biggest complaint would be the pickups, but like I said earlier, I'm in no hurry to change them. It's a great, versital, workhorse of a guitar. :yesway: Well worth the price for me. Hell, with a few minor mods, you basically have a Jem with this. It actaully feels better that the Mirror Jem that I tried out about a year ago.

Here are some outdoor and indoor pics. It's really hard to capture all the colors this thing puts off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nyck

nyck blah!

Looks great. Non matching headstock=gay, though.

3. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Minor problem. Would be a nice touch, though.

4. David

David je t'aime Contributor

damn, I love how the sparkle showed up in the pic! It looks like a weird color... but the Ibanez finishes can only be given their true justice in person.:yesway:

SICK guitar.:metal:

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Damn, that's absolutely gaudy when it catches the light. Cool. :wub:

6. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Cool, dude! Bring it on over! ;)

7. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Ya got any beer? :D

8. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Probably that swill PBR you weirdos prefer. :fawk:

Sleek axe sir. :D

9. Shannon

Yep. Sam Adams & MGD. :yesway:

10. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Sweet. I'll be over in a few. :metal:

11. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Cool review and nice guitar, Donnie, congrats! :hbang:

[​IMG]

This pic is awesome, you can really see how nice that red sparkle is. I imagine it's even nicer in person. :D

12. Shannon

Yep, nice player indeed. :yesway:

13. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Wurd.

And thanks, to all. I dig the hell out of it.

And as Shannon and I noticed upon closer inspection that the sparkles are not really "flakes" like other sparkle paint jobs. They seem to be fibers of some sort. :scratch:. Pretty damn cool, though.

14. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

That looks a lot nicer in your pictures than it did on the ones in your poll thread. Pretty sweet dude.

15. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Looks nice. Congrats.

16. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Fuckin' groovy, tiger! [​IMG]

That finish is '70's-a-riffic. I absolutely love it. Awesome, Donholio. :hbang:

17. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

I voted for Blue in the poll but seeing those pictures i think your choice was the right one!

Lovely looking guitar man. Congrats:yesway:

18. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

I think this finish is "hard to see" ... I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but I don't really get any feel for it from pictures...like I can see it but I don't "know what it looks like" if you catch my drift.

Definitely an interesting finish, it's weird...you can't really be like "whoa that's ugly I'd hate to have that" it's more like "whoa that's weird, I want to inspect it some more"

19. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Well, I think I'll be sending the RG1570 back to Musicians Friend. I'm noticing more and more finish issues. The edges of the body and headstock are more bumpy than I originally thought. They are everywhere. And there is a big run in the clear on the top side of the headstock. I originally said it had a few flws but this is turning out to be ridiculous. Sure, it was just going to be a kicking around at home guitar, but for $750, it should be better.
    And Zimbloth had issues with his RG1527 recently. What's happened to the quality control at Ibanez? The last new Ibanez I bought was when the RG1527s came out a few years ago. I remember it being pretty damn nice all around. :scratch:

20. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

"Team J Craft" is actually a warehouse full of monkeys and lumber. Ibanez figured if enough monkeys and typewriters could crank out Shakespeare, they could apply the same principle to guitar making.