Ibanez Premium upgraded with Bare Knuckles?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Jacob169, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Jacob169

Jacob169 SS.org Regular

My first post on SevenString.org!

I was thinking of buying an Ibanez RG with a fixed bridge and the RG721FM has a Tight-End R bridge that some on this forum really love. The RG721FM is half the price than the RG652KFX which only has the Gibraltar Standard II bridge.

So my idea is to aim for the 721FM and pop in a pair of Bare Knuckle Juggernauts or Aftermaths. Do you guys think it's a good idea?

2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I've seen a few of the RG721s (Both flamed maple and rosewood tops) with Bare Knuckles, so I think it would be a decent idea if you really like the asthetics of the RG721s.

They've been getting pretty nice reviews. Not prestige level quality, but pretty good.

3. Jacob169

Jacob169 SS.org Regular

Seems fair! Do you think it's better to get a Prestige and put Bare Knuckles in that then? Will it make more of a difference? It's a lot more expensive though...

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

If you can afford it the quality will be higher, but IMO the only prestige RG that compares in aesthetics to the RG721s is the koa topped RG652KFX.

If none of them appeals to you visually, I would save the money and purchase the premium.

5. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

I have an RG721RW with an aftermath in the bridge and it sounds HUGE! Definitely not a bad idea :)

I attached some pics of mine. Got the aftermath super cheap so haven't managed to get a neck pup yet.

Attached Files:

6. Jacob169

Jacob169 SS.org Regular

A friend of mine bought the Koa Brown Prestige RG652KFX and when he put on some 11-56 gauge strings for drop C he needed to adjust the truss rod and he would have had to file down the nut but ultimately he chose to use it in standard tuning with 10-46s. Are these problems as common on Prestiges as on Premiums? I have two Schecters and I've used 9-46, 10-46s, 10-52s (my favorite) in standard tuning and all the way up to 11-56 (for drop C) and never had to adjust a thing.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Thats not a problem. The nut grooves were filed for a 9-42 set. On most guitars you will have the file the nut slots bigger when upping gauges if you want good action and intonation. In fact most production guitars come with the nut slightly high which gives you the option of filing them lower if you want.

8. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

With the cost of the extra bkps you can get a very nice used prestige with dimarzios, with imo is a better deal than an inferior guitar with slightly better pickups

9. nicktao

nicktao SS.org Regular

^ pretty much. The premiums are good, but prestiges are usually better.