Sooo, I scored a pretty sweet deal on a first generation MTM2 with the intent of refinishing it. Mahogany body, five-piece neck with walnut stripes, reverse headstock, no fretboard inlays? Can't let that stay gloss black. The idea was to strip the neck and body and oil both, but to choose the colour scheme when I had seen what kind of wood the body was made out of. I basically immediately went to town with my random orbital sander before even getting it home. Now, I had kinda hoped for that nice ribbon-figured mahogany they use on the RGA42 and RG321MH because I think it has some nice depth, but semi-unfortunately I got something a little more boring that will require a little extra work to make it appear nice and rich. Thank Bob it has nice, even grain with very reasonable glue lines. I scooped out the back of the cutaways, blended the belly cut into the outline and plugged the screw holes for the pickup surrounds with barbecue skewers in the hopes that it'd look inconspicuous enough to be viable for direct mounted pickups. I'll decide on that when I've finished the front. So to start off I gave the front a little Ikea stain (not the best, to be completely honest, but I think I can turn it into something decent) and from here the plan is to sand the front a little back and apply another coat. The back will get stained with some extra-strong tea (yeah) to darken it somewhat and give it some golden hues and then it's on to the tung oil, or whatever suitable finishing oil I can find around here. I was too eager to get started so I didn't get any before pics, but I'm sure most of you will have seen this model and know what it looks like. On with the WIP pictures: Cavities (you can see the plugged screw holes at the corners of the pickup tubs): Treble cutaway scoop: Bass side cutaway scoop (kinda shows the belly contour shape too): Belly cut reshaped: Neck stripped: Heel reshaped slightly for that "Prestige" fit - It used to have this kinda thing going on. Notice how the flat area on the neck extends way further than the neck pocket. I dislike that a little bit: Logo placement: Wetting the front with some spirits to see what kind of finish I'd prefer: First coat of stain: Not pictured: I sanded the signature off the control cavity cover and the "SEVEN" off the TRC too. I even sanded inside the holes for the neck screws. Also, I could have left the front of the headstock alone, but I figured I wanted it to look a little snazzier, so I sanded off the plain white logo and ordered a chrome one instead. The "JEM" part of that logo will not be used, of course. Stay tuned for the next round, some bat-time, same bat-channel.