Ibanez Iron label quality?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by myampslouder, Dec 9, 2015.

1. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

I'm in the market for a new guitar and I'm very interested in one of the ibanez iron label models but it seems like they have had a lot of quality control issues. It seems like most of. The bad reviews are a bit older but I'd like to hear some opinions before I order one.

Does anyone know if they have improved the quality or am I better off going with something else?

2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

They are among the worst of the low/mid end market in my experience as far as quality/quality control. If you want ibanez, get a prestige new or used

vilk likes this.
  3. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

I wrote this in another thread about someone else asking about an Iron Label.

Fvck that series. Sold it to a music store for $220. I will never buy another one.
    Only Ibanez guitars worth buying are made in Japan.

My $0.02, good luck.

AxeHappy and vilk like this.
  4. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

This. Although I wouldn't discount a Premium, only Ibby out of Indonesia to actually hold a candle to any Japanese model. And even that's a gamble, I was one of the lucky ones :lol:

I wouldn't buy an Iron Label. Not for that price.

5. silverabyss

silverabyss

Even mainline Indonesian models seem to be better than Iron Labels

6. myampslouder

Meh. That's disappointing. I've had quite a few ibanez guitars over the years and it seems like the quality of their non prestige models keeps getting worse and worse. Such a shame that a company that built a reputation making very solid affordable guitars has gone so far down hill.

I'll see about scraping up enough for a prestige model or just look into another brand. Thanks

7. gay4ass

gay4ass SS.org Regular

The Premiums are very playable and having tested a few of them, I noticed a trend with the quality of the Indo Premiums:

The earlier Premiums are more likely to be shiite than the later ones. Ie, a Premium manufactured in 2015 is less likely to be a lemon than say the earliest 2011/2012 ones.

I own a 2015 wenge neck premium and it plays just as well as my Jap Prestiges.

8. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

Just try before you buy.

9. col

col blah.

This. My RGIR27FE is perfect in every way, very surprised how how good it actually is in terms of fit and finish. (The pickups are terrible though).

Not sure I'd pay what they cost in the US, they're $680 new here.

10. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I literally just wrote this in another thread but it bears repeating here,
    I'd probably go for a jackson over the iron label simply because i feel their quality control is better.

11. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I regularly play many Jackson and Ibanez guitars. I would agree that a good high quality used instrument is better than a new low quality instrument overall.

Between Jackson and Ibanez, I see fewer problems with Iron Label Ibanez. There is no comparison between those and Prestige Ibanez though.

12. IChuckFinleyI

IChuckFinleyI Banned

I was a die hard Ibanez fanboy for about 15 years. That all changed after my Iron Label experience. I couldn't believe something that bad made it out with their name on it. The frets were almost rough enough to break the skin and one of the wires for the pickups had been completely burned through. There's clearly no quality control in that factory. After receiving such a piece of ...., I can't even look at the company the same way.

TLDR: Like most people say: stay away from anything that isn't a Prestige!

13. CoffeeSauce

CoffeeSauce SS.org Regular

For some contrast. I just got an Ibanez RGIT27FE a couple weeks ago and it's fantastic.
    Out of the box, it needed a setup really badly. But, post-setup it is great. The action is maybe a little high to get rid of fret buzz, but nothing too crazy.
    If they all come like mine, I would definitely recommend them. Every iron label that I've tried at various stores has been just fine.

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Was really excited when that line came out, hi the stores and played 2 7s and 2 6s.....all of them were terrible....shoddy components, just awful fretwork to the point where it was cutting my hand, fret sprout all the way up and down both sides of the neck on all of them.

Cut to a year later and a guy on here was selling an RGIB6....pretty much everything I wanted in a baritone. He'd reviewed it when he got it, and he's been a tech and recording musician for years; said he had to file the frets a bit after it settled in but that it was a good guitar. He sold it to me about 6 months later and it's been one of my main recording guitars ever since. I like it a lot, but don't know that I'd buy one new.

Depends on the guitar, not what people say on the internet about em. Go play some, find one you like and take it home.

Mine:

[​IMG]RGIB6 Redo by Scott Steinmetz, on Flickr

15. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

There are plenty of good ones out there - best to see for yourself. The one i owned was nice except for some wonky pickup routing that looked like a new guy at the factory was training on it - but totally decent frets, sounded excellent. Regret selling it actually, was an SIR70.

I have not seen any of the sharp fret issues that go around on the net, but if you get any guitar like that, a fret level/dressing by a good luthier will have the frets feeling better than most new guitars.

Quality aside, they do have see really cool looking designs that have come out.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I'm a big Ibanez fan but I've never played a good one that wasn't MIJ. They've all had ibig ssues and flaws, sharp fret ends and patchy sanding/finishing being the most common.

17. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I've played several at GC and Sam Ash and they were all garbage. Horrible frets, finish flaws too serious to ignore, and an overall cheap feel. I was actually embarrassed to be wearing my Ibby hat at the time. All the Schecters and LTD's they had around the same price range were worlds better by comparison.

Even though I enjoy my MII S920e, I still wouldn't buy another Premium. And for the prices they're asking for these IL brand new, I can't really see a reason not to get a used Prestige. But that's just me.

18. myampslouder

I went to guitar center a few days ago and they had a used rgir27. Seriously worst quality I have ever seen in an ibanez guitar. I swear it's like they go out of their way to make the iron labels worse because I picked up a cheap s series and it's was fine. No sharp frets, decent action, good finish. The iron label I looked at had major issues. The second fret was like a razor and looked like it wasn't even fully seated in the fret board. On the other hand pretty much every guitar in that price range from other companies like LTD, Schecter, and PRS was great.

Big mark against ibanez. Really makes me lose a ton of respect for them as a company.

19. Azure

Azure SS.org Regular

How are the fanned fret models? I'm thinking of getting one in the future and I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

20. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

i got an iron label sir27fd. it actually improved my opinion of ibanez guitars... but i guess i got a gem among turds. frets were all dressed very well, no sharp edges dead frets ect. the action is also perfect... i also bought mine from SW which at least sort've tries to give you a decent axe.

the only qc issues on mine was the binding wasn't perfect. sounds like yall got the worst of the worst of the worst.