Ibanez FR6UCS

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by devnull, Aug 2, 2018.

1. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

Recently, I just picked one of these up and something about it confuses me and I hoping someone can shed some light on it for me (Not many threads on this guitar..anywhere)

Specs here:
    http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg...8&cat_id=1&series_id=6&data_id=244&color=CL01

So my question is, why does this guitar come the factory down a whole step? It's a basic 25.5inch scale length and it comes with .10s on it. Why are they tuning this guitar down? I noticed for the iron label version (same scale) it doesn't say anything about down tuning the guitar. So, why would they do this?

From the case, the guitar played really well, but I had to set everything up again to be in standard tuning.

Outside of that, this guitar is freaking awesome. Why aren't more people playing them?

Alex79 likes this.
  2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I cannot speak for why the tuning would come stock a half step down.

As for not many people buying them...I think the shape and price have a lot to do with that. I think these went for 2k new and at that price point you have a lot of other options to look at. I don't think people want to spend 2k on a 'plain Jane' black prestige.

Personally, I like these guitars and hope to pick one up used at some point, if I can find one for a decent price :lol:

:2c:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    The906 likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'm always surprised how little love the FR gets.

It's comfortable, well balanced and classy.

I really miss the old FR Prestige models. I was hoping they would do better and lead to a 7, but it wasn't meant to be.

4. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

I actually like the fact its plain jane and to the point. Most of my guitars are probably too flashy, so a toned down guitar fits me better at this point. I've been looking for a tele style body, but more geared to a heavier style. I agree it is a bit expensive (got it for around $1700 new, shipped), but if you look at the specs, it's not far off from a lot of other manufacturers offers (Prestige quality, BKP pickups, mahogany body, ebony fret board, stainless steel frets).

cwhitey2 likes this.
  5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

While I like the plain janeness of it too, I think if you look at the guitars in the price range and up, people are buying flashier everything nowadays.

6. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I think the guitar looks pretty good and in black. I really like the ebony fret board.

;>)/

7. MattV

MattV SS.org Regular

The FR is my favourite mainstream guitar (well, apart from some S models, perhaps), but I'm not convinced by the UCS version. I would definitely want single-coil sounds out of it, and I'm not sure if these pickups would be good for that - plus you're already paying for the privilege of BKP branding. Apart from that, it's not hugely different to the FR320, and people have been giving mixed responses to the quality level on the uppercut guitars...

That said, the FR is pretty close to perfect in my eyes, and I love SS frets. The TE bridge is nice too, but I think it looks a little odd on this one.

8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Cause that whole series is a collab with Bareknuckle to make expensive "metal" guitars

9. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Wes Hauch has given me severe gas for this model, I just can’t handle ibby 6 string necks :/

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I always find myself occasionally thinking about the short-lived FR1620 Prestige models; and hell, I'm not even a fan of Ibanez guitars.

11. MaxOfMetal

The FR2620 models were freaking hot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Emperor Guillotine

Whoops! That is what I meant. The FR2620 model, not the FR1620. The FR2620 with a natural finish was the one that I was thinking of when I typed my initial comment above. Both were short-lived in 2008-2009, but the FR2620 even more so.

Was there even any difference between the FR1620 and the FR2620 aside from the color options offered and the fact that the FR1620 was brought back in 2010-2014 and the FR2620 only got a small run or two in 2010/2011?

13. MaxOfMetal

Just the colors, on paper. But since the FR2620 had transparent finishes they received two piece bodies, where the opaque models had as many as four.

14. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

18mm Wizard HP isn't overly thin like 17mm Wizard neck, but still in the same category and 17 inch radius makes it feel even more flat. Wish they would have something like 19-20mm with little bit rounder profile in Prestige line.

15. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, they really need to bring back the Ultra Prestige necks.

The J.Custom stuff tends to be a bit thicker and rounder. New might not be worth it, but used JCs aren't too hard to come by, same with stuff with Ultra necks.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. Emperor Guillotine

This is exactly what I designed the neck on my custom Telecaster to be like.

I started out with your basic Ibanez thin D-shaped profile with a 19mm thickness. I gave it a 20" radius to flatten out the fretboard (width obviously had to be adjusted a tiny bit to compensate), and then I slightly rounded the "shoulders" (or edges) of the profile on paper while keeping them fairly low to give it a shape that fit my hand perfectly. It is still very much a thin D-shape with the thickness running at 19mm to 20.5mm (1st fret to 12th fret, roughly) but it feels more smooth and flowing as you move your thumb along the profile.

17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I’ll be honest, even my Jackson soloist has a small enough neck that I’m worried about it’s tenure here.

May have to save up for a PRS Floyd.