Ibanez Fixed Lo Pro Edge questions

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by animalwithin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. animalwithin

animalwithin SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I'm wanting to install an Ibanez Fixed Lo Pro Edge bridge on one of my guitars. My questions are:

1.) Can the bridge sit flush with the body or do I have to still route the top
    2.) Do I need to install a locking nut for this bridge to work

The only guitars I've seen these on is the old Satriani model (I believe the JS2000) and the Mick Thompson models

Here is a pic of one for reference:

[​IMG]

2. odibrom

odibrom .

1 - It dependes on how much the fretboard is above the guitar body's surface. Take a look at those guitars, if possible, personally check one out and take measures. You may need to do some routing in order to manage the action variations. Take measures, draw carefully in CAD software, take measures again.

2 - For optimal use, I'd go with a locking nut, but that may be overkill. Are you going with locking tuners? If so, you may let go of the locking nut... I personally like the locking nut for being metal (in contrast to most common nuts) and being removable allows you to use shims if needed. You can also use a locking nut and not use it's locking pads. I'd go this route.

animalwithin likes this.
  3. animalwithin

Thanks odi!

I do have locking tuners already installed on my guitar, so I might forgo the locking nut as thats a part of my guitar I don't want to cut into.

I'll see if I can find one of the guitars and take measurements!

odibrom likes this.
  4. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

You can mount this with no routing if you compensate for the extra height by angling the neck backwards (like with non-recessed TOMs).

animalwithin likes this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... shimming the neck if the guitar is already built and is a bolt on...

animalwithin likes this.
  6. animalwithin

Headstock is angled and the neck is a bolt on so hopefully the can go on as a direct mount. Worst case is I'll need some shallow routing to the top (going to have the guitar repainted anyways).

I currently have the ABM bridge pieces, not sure if you guys can tell whether I'll need routing for the fixed lo pro based off this:

[​IMG]

7. odibrom

odibrom .

That pic is only to show the ABM bridges, right?

If the guitar is like the one you are showing, you may need more than light routing, so the strings can have better action adjustment. Measurements!

Headstock angle isn't relevant here, only neck to body angle. Shims should be used to control the amount. I bet on routing needs for better fit, however, since the guitar is bolt-on, you can test the neck-body angle amplitude with shims in the neck pocket.

Million dollar question, what guitar is it? do you have pics of it?

animalwithin likes this.
  8. animalwithin

Correct, only to show the ABM bridges.

I do have pics (not the best pics mind you). It's actually a Siggery V that I got built for me years ago.

siggery_fury_six_lrg (2).jpg siggery_fury_six_lrg (14).jpg siggery_fury_six_lrg (17).jpg siggery_fury_six_lrg (18).jpg

9. odibrom

odibrom .

The guitar looks nice. Are you going to do the mod yourself or will you have some luthier / Siggery to do it? I advise on the second option.

For this guitar, I'g do with the routing situation, maybe with a little neck shimming. I'd say routing depth should be about 5 to 10 mm, depending on how much you want the action adjustment, but I'm eye balling from the pics. Measurements and CAD drawing should be carefully done for best results, obviously.

animalwithin likes this.
  10. animalwithin

Thanks! I'm going to have a luthier do it, no way I can do such things :nono:

I'll definitely have careful measurements made and I'm hoping that just the routing is all that will be needed, I don' t want to alter the guitar too much. The ABM bridge pieces work great, I've just wanted an Ibanez bridge for the longest time and since the guitar needs to be repainted, I thought I would go for it. Heard nothing but good things about the Fixed Lo Pro Edge.

odibrom likes this.
  11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Siggery more or less went out of business.

odibrom likes this.
  12. animalwithin

Yea he did, didn't hear too many good things about him towards the end. Thankfully I avoided all of that, I love my guitar and really the only thing wrong with it is the paint (it's faded into a vintage white).

I'm just playing around with ideas for modifications as when I had it built, I was under a tight budget so I opted for less costly features. I'm thinking BK pickups and either a fixed Lo Pro Edge or a Schaller Hannes. Can't say enough about the ABM bridge pieces though, they're great.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

Thanks for the Heads up. I don't follow these things close...

The Schaller Hannes also requires some routing, specially on the back for some anchor or something alike. I think it would be a more straight forward replacement. On the Fixed Lo Pro i don't have any opinion, only that I love my floating ones. Lo Pros give you fine tuning, but a fine tuned tuner machine also works well.

But if you like the ABM bridges, why change? If it ain't broken, don't fix it...

animalwithin likes this.
  14. animalwithin

Honestly, it's all aesthetics. My original design for the guitar was to have a lo pro on it. But I was in college at the time and getting it with a trem was going to cost me more so I opted for a fixed bridge (although the ABM pieces are in no way cheap).

I've just always wanted a lo pro edge and I love this fixed one, the ease of a fixed bridge with the look and tuning of a lo pro. We'll see, I'll think on it some more. The guitar is incredibly light and resonant, I don't want anything to change that.