Ibanez Edge bridge Setup

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by thedonal, Feb 17, 2014.

1. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Hi,

I have a 2003 RG550-EX with 10-46 strings (standard tuning).

I find that the bridge tilts up probably about 5 degrees above what I would expect (thinking that the little chip in the side of the bridge should line up with the body).

Basically this gives me less clearance for the whammy bar when diving etc.

I have just serviced the bridge with a new set of (standard Fender) springs, plus I filed and greased the blades/posts.

If I tighten it to straighten the bridge, it will pull sharp (and I probably can't screw the claw in much further).

The springs seem quite long- though they are the same length as those that came out of the guitar.

Are there any other springs (shorter/stronger) I can use? Will this help? Any other suggestions?

That aside, since the service, it's much smoother to operate now and more stable on returing to pitch... :)

2. psycle_1

psycle_1 SS.org Regular

Sounds like the Fender springs are a lighter tension than the stock Ibanez springs. You can either add an extra spring or get higher tension ones like these:
    Heavy Duty Springs [ANS0002] - $9.95 : FU-TONE.COM, OFFICIAL BIG BLOCK PERFORMANCE UPGRADES FOR YOUR GUITAR!
    Heavy Duty Noiseless Springs [FU-HD-NS-RD] - $14.95 : FU-TONE.COM, OFFICIAL BIG BLOCK PERFORMANCE UPGRADES FOR YOUR GUITAR!

My guess is that the Fender's are a lighter tension, since you should not be running out of travel on the spring claw on 10-46's.

3. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Thanks.

In fairness, the travel was only that bad when fitting the springs, ie with no strings on, but it would be nice to get the bridge flat to the body again.

It does feel quite loose, even with 4 springs on, but quite nice to wobble.. :)

I'll check a set of higher tension strings after payday...

4. psycle_1

psycle_1 SS.org Regular

Was there an issue with the original stock springs?

5. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

They're 10 years old so I thought I'd refresh them. I really wanted to get the bridge sitting flat with the body again- the bar was getting too close to the top of the volume knob...

I may chuck the 5th spring on tonight and see how that fares.

The bridge needed a service in general though- it wasn't returning to pitch properly (was flat after pressing the bar, or sharp after raising the bar)...

6. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

When the bridge won't return to the original pitch, it's rarely down to the springs. One or more tiny issues might occur, for example:
    - any loose screws at the nut, at the neck heel, or a loose trem stud
    - trem edge might be worn out
    - nut pads not holding one or more strings properly
    - a worn trem stud
    etc. There's some extensive info about tuning stability issues on ibanezrules.com, this helped me out on several occasions:
    IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

However, in your particular case, as psychle_1 pointed out, the springs might not have enough tension to hold the bridge in place properly. I'm not a big fan of adding 4-5 springs to the trem: the more springs you have, the less sensitive the trem will become. I'd reinstall the old springs (as I said, they rarely cause any problems) to see how the trem behaves with those old springs. If you did a good job with the service, I think you'll have a perfect bridge with the old springs.

7. Psionic

Psionic three headed monkey

Its very important that you try to keep the trem always in line with the body even when you set it up.
    Which means you have to tighten the strings then springs alternately so the bridge is in balance all the time during the tuning process.
    Maybe this helps.

8. Rubbishplayer

Rubbishplayer SS.org Regular

s4atch is right on with his post, but at the risk of stating the obvious/causing offence, are you sure you're stringing it the right way?

Apologies if you have already considered this, but I always had problems until I learned the right way. And to this day, I'm still surprised how many people - great players - still don't know the best way to actually string and set-up a Edge/Floyd Rose type bridge.

These two vids should have you you covered in case this is a contributing issue:

My Ibby's are impossible to put out of tune without doing damage to the strings and I've never had to grease up the posts, or change the springs.

Just a thought. :cool:

9. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

What's the size of the allen for the action regolation of the action?
    (Never bought a branded new Ibanez and don't have the tools)
    Thanks in advance

10. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular