Ibanez ARZ307

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by VBCheeseGrater, Mar 6, 2012.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I've had this ARZ307 for about 4 months now so i've got a pretty good idea of what it's all about. I bought this from guitar center used ($370), chosen over the 6 string model because i thought the Ibanez Axis pickups sounded better than the EMGHZ in the 6 stringer, and i love the fixed bridge and les paul shape. The seventh string has been a welcome addition. This is a big guitar, fairly heavy, wide neck, and monstrous headstock that looks a bit out of place, but it helps the balance, and aside from that its a great looking guitar. The neck took some getting used to for me, as its wide, even for a seven string (ive heard it referred to as a "cutting board"). Its not super thin like alot of ibanez necks, just right for me and the gloss paint has not bothered me at all on the back of the neck.

Sound: Stock this was a pretty good all around guitar. The stock bridge pickup did well for heavy crunch, i would call it medium-high output. Never used it for cleans, but if you wanted some twang its there. The neck cleans were good but a bit sterile. I replaced the pickups with a blaze set, and the distortion is much smoother now, if a bit less organic sounding. The cleans from the blaze neck sound more bell like now - easier to get closer to a strat type sound. The guitar as a whole resonates the lower frequencies nicely.

When i purchased the guitar the setup was mediocre - minor buzz in quite a few places. After a pro setup, the buzzing started again. I had to shim the nut and do another setup and its playing nicely now at medium-low action. The finish is well done, and it feels like a quility instrument in your hands. The tuners are serviceable, but an upgrade would be welcome as I'm tuning more often than id like.

After some modding and tweaking, and adjusting to the large fretboard, i feel ive got a pretty good main axe with this.

2. rayisametalkid

rayisametalkid SS.org Regular

good review, i have one and love it. The fit and finish is pretty good on it and it's become mt main 7. takes some tweaking but you can get the stock pups sounding fairly good through amp and pedal settings.

3. Shredenvain

Shredenvain SS.org Regular

I have one also but it has the flamed top on it.
    You cant really even see the top unless you are in bright light.
    The guitar plays wonderfully but the hardware is kind of crappy.
    The keys and the bridge are galaxy silver but all the coating wore of very quickly and pitting has started.
    Plan on replacing the keys and bridge with black gotoh hardware.