Ibanez 8 String Classical

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by steinny, May 15, 2015.

1. steinny

steinny SS.org Regular

Any recent experiences with this? I know there were some threads when this first came out but not a lot since then...particularly curious to know how people have been getting along with trying lower tunings/thicker gauges on the 7/8 strings.

2. steinny

steinny SS.org Regular

No one has tried this recently? Surprising.

3. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Josh from Little Tybee got one (judging from his Instagram) and seems to be enjoying it. Pretty sure he's also a member here so you can try and hit him up if you have any questions about it~

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I don't have the Ibanez but have a good amount of experience with lower tunings on classicals.
    I guess you're asking because 8 string classicals are typically tuned CDEADGBE or similar right?
    You needn't worry - they hold up very well in standard 4ths type tuning. Scale length isn't nearly as much of an issue as it is on electric. You can get good tone and tension out of a 25.5 in F# or even E.
    Let me know if you want help with gauges and finding strings, you can PM me.

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Not that I've had much chance to play this past year... but I'd recommend Savarez strings. The heavier gauges are tapered so they can fit through the bridge. I have the lowest tuned to between E and down to C#. C# isn't the best. E is okay...