Ibanez 7 strings and their necks

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Kostic, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Hi,

I recently started playing a 7 string (having joined a band that required one), and managed to pick up an Ibanez Apex1 in a good condition.
    In terms of sound and looks the guitar is great, but I'm not sure I can get used to the neck profile on it. It seems to be quite flat at the back with wide shoulders, so it has this fatter feel , which is not the best for me to shred on.
    My long time 6 string is actually pre-prestige RG570 with a Super Wizard neck, which is very thin but also quite round at the back (no big shoulders). I'm really comfortable with it.
    So, I'm looking for any potential alternatives to Apex1 (which I might or might not keep too, as it's quite unique), but with a more comfortable neck for me. I'm going to take a look at the obvious 1527 soon. Not sure if it is worth looking at K7, as the neck profile will probably be the same as Apex1? I do want to stick with Ibanez for now.
    Basically, I wonder if anybody else found the same about these necks? Any suggestions of which Ibanez 7 necks will get the closer *feel* to super wizard?

Thanks,
    Kostic

2. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

If you don't care for the Apex because of it's flat neck, you won't care for the 1527 either, most likely.

Most Ibanez 7 strings, that I know of at least, will have a very similar profile.

3. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Well, it's not the flat bit that bothers me, but that "beefier" feel on the Apex. I just want something that actually feels thinner.
    Looking up dimensions of Ibanez 7-string necks on the internet, most of them seem to have the same dimensions, but profiles are definitely different (I have tried some MII ones in a shop, it definitely felt thinner, but I didn't care for the guitar itself).

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I assume your guitar's neck profile is one of the Apex profiles.
    http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

Wizard-7, Wizard-7 Prestige, and Wizard Premium should feel less thick without being too "shouldery". Even Wizard II 7 if you want to go for lower end indo Ibanez's.

5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

You should probably try a different brand. Ibanez necks are all very flat. Try schecter, they tend to have more rounded necks.

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Ibanez necks vary a lot depending on model and even release year. My 1527 had a flat neck, my K7 was a little rounder, my J-cusotm was curved and my 752 was even more curved, all four had different thickness too.

You are just going to have to try a bunch of Ibby 7s until you find one you like the most.

7. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Yes, it's supposed to be Apex Prestige.
    That is the thing, the one I checked out in the shop had Wizard II-7, according to the spec. But I'm after a MIJ one.
    Actually just managed to check out a 2005 RG1527, and the neck is great! My understanding it's an Ultra Prestige 7, checking the spec online. It's a 5pc one.
    Now will have a long think about whether to get it and sell Apex. Oh, choices choices. Apex is a very cool and awesome sounding guitar, just wish it had more of a "shredder" neck profile:)

Kostic

8. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Thanks. Well, I have tried a Schecter, didn't like it much

9. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Indeed, a very sound advice. The problem is with the new ones very few shops stock MIJ ones (not on display at least). And used ones, depending on a model, can be on sale hundreds of miles away. Especially more rear ones.
    Anyway, I will check out K7 too, as it is close to me.

10. Kostic

Kostic SS.org Regular

Just for everybody's benefit.
    Have checked out K7 with my Apex1 side by side and can tell that neck profiles are pretty much the same. The only minor differences are the width (K7 was from 2003 and the neck is 66mm at the last fret vs 68mm for Apex and most of later Ibby 7s).
    They feel extremely similar.

Kostic