Ibanez 2018 models announced(teased) :O

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Oct 26, 2017.

1. novocaine

novocaine SS.org Regular

Can’t wait!

2. novocaine

novocaine SS.org Regular

Can’t wait!

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Looks like there is scant information in the catalogue:

[​IMG]

Maybe the Ibanez website will have something about scale length when this is released officially, but, honestly, from the look of it, I would not expect the scale length to be any more than other budget upright electrics, especially seeing how stubby it looks in the photo.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

I think I saw 2 guitars in the whole catalog that I'm even mildly interested in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wish they made more FR and destroyer models, those have always been some of my favorites from ibanez

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's two more than I've found. :shrug:

AxeHappy, Nlelith, Masoo2 and 4 others like this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

agree with this.
    Page 1 in here was filled with enthusiasm and excitement...
    Fast track to now and their lineup this year seems seriously underwhelming/overpriced

7. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

The RG550s, RG570s and the AZs are on my list for this year.

TBH the RG550s reissues are all I ever wanted from Ibanez again. I have two of the 2007 Reissues, one being the third guitar I ever owned and love them. The price being right too. I do hope the RG655s will still be in the US for those who want a more modern version of the RG550, but I doubt that.

8. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I don't understand why people are so disappointed, especially when there are new model shapes coming soon.
    Is this normal for most forum users to set really low expectations only to post about how much they don't/won't like these things?

pecado and LordHar like this.
  9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Yes. :lol:

BigPhi84 and A-Branger like this.
  10. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

Hello, welcome to Sevenstring.org :lol:

On a related note, 2018 seems to be the year of roasted maple necks really being an accessible offering. Is this process not more expensive for the manufacturers , or are they sourcing a lower grade roasted maple?

From my experience, the roasted, flamed, and tung oiled neck on my previous JP was effortless to play, and great to look at

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Premium and Iron Label is just overblown, and there is just too much emphasis on looks ... still no Prestige level RGA with hardtail bridge, also it would be nice to see something like RGT/RGD hybrid with neck-through joint and longer scale length. AZ's are really nice, but just not my thing. Re-issues of RG550 and 521 just seem plain boring...

There seems to be quite everything to everyone, but just not for me anymore. I hate shouldery Wizard III neck profiles in cheaper models, and 17mm Wizard has way too thin profile combined with flat radius. Nitro Wizard is something between, but still not quite there feelwise like my RGA121 from 2005, which has one of the best necks ever for me. Which is by the way supposed to be very similar to Wizard Premium profile.

Regards, Mr. Picky Ibanez Guy.

BigPhi84 likes this.
  12. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

The Martin Miller signature looks great, if the price is the same as the other models I might consider getting that one. Also the new FRM looks really good, wish they were MIJ though.

Edit: Just noticed that Tom Quayle is getting a model as well, VERY Suhr-esque. Looks great though, check his Facebook (I'm sure someone will post pictures soon).

Attached Files:

BigPhi84 likes this.
  13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

screw you guys. team S1070 for life.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  14. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

I surely take the plunge on the the AZ tequila burst. Thomann anounces it for end of Feb
    Still i may ask to a friend luthier how much would it cost to make something even more Suhresque, like natural binding, brown back, matching headstock just to see ...
    that "blank" neck is really annoying me...

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

In my particular situation, I have so many Ibanez guitars that unless something checks all the boxes I don't have a reason to add to the pile.

I guess what's such a bummer is that they spend a couple years building up certain types of guitars and head just towards something I might buy and the BOOM shift in the opposite direction.

I get it. It's not thier fault. I'm not worth catering directly too. I'm sure they'll do just fine without the couple grand I'd throw thier way. :agreed:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    AxeHappy, BigPhi84 and Wolfhorsky like this.
  16. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

I think the MM1 will be EUR 2499 in Europe.

17. diagrammatiks

[​IMG]

I buy this over a suhr modern. but it's only got 22 frets.
    why u do this ibanez.

24 frets. hsh or hss. is that so hard.

18. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Just wish they could have made an AZ version on the same tier as the RG550 for around the same price...if it was bare bones but MIJ that would be a wallet destroyer.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. diagrammatiks

roasted maple and ss frets would have been hard...but a bare bones with just ss frets should be possible.

20. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

^^ I wish that too, but then it probably wouldn't have some of the features that I'm excited about - 2 being stainless steel frets and a roasted maple neck. I'd hope to see it in the future too but it seems like MIJ/non Prestige thing is only because of it being this throw back model, unfortunately.

But I also understand Ibanez purists like Max who don't see much thats interesting to them this year, since the big thing is the AZ model. Maybe they've seen that in recent years there are tons of RG shreddy style guitars coming out and they wanted to get into the "fusion" style guitar market that really doesn't have nearly as many options out there. In my eyes its great because this is exactly what I've been looking for (minus maybe a few small things) but I'm really excited that they went all in on it, instead of just making Premium models. With all the specs they hit right on the head, its obvious that Ibanez knows they are going after people interested in Suhr guitars. Knowing that, they have to realize that people who are interested in boutique guitar companies like Suhr, go for them because of more than specs, which is the quality of the instrument. Prestige guitars can definitely get there, they just have to do so consistently.