I want to add Dimarzio pickups to my RG7321

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Slavocracy, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Slavocracy

Slavocracy SS.org Regular

I have an RG7321 that I got in 2010, the stock pickups are horrible. I want to add Dimarzio pickup(s) and am looking at the Titan (http://www.dimarzio.com/node/8560).

I don't even know where to start. Dimarzio doesn't give any prices for their products (weird) so when I go to long & mcquades to get a price I won't know how much they charge on top of the flat rate. Also, do guitar/music shops usually do installations?

2. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Shoud be around 120€ each.
    Yes, music shop can do all the installation work.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

To now how much something costs, look for it at different stores. With Thomann.de or Musicstore.de you can have a good feeling about how much do these pickups value in Europe...

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Just going to throw it out there because it's always my recommendation: if you're just looking to do a conventional pickup install, try doing it yourself. Unless the shop will give you a deal, typically the cost of a soldering iron, solder, and some spare wires to practice on is much cheaper than the cost of an install. There's a virtual embarrassment of tutorials out there, too. If you're skilled enough to play guitar (which I barely am) you can install a pickup (which I've done dozens of times).

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

If you can get used DiMarzio Blaze pups, I was happy having one in the bridge of my eg-RG7321.

If I was able to install it myself, I'm sure you can do it too!

6. odibrom

odibrom .

^^ this guy is on fire...

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

long & mcquade? are you in Canada?

long & mcquade can give you a price for the pickups you want (covered, uncovered, color variations, etc.). Generally, Dimarzio's are reasonably priced (in comparison to Duncan, for instance). Most guitar stores have techs that will do pickup installation for you. Call up your music store and ask them for a quote on pickups and installation.

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Don't jump the gun until you take some measurements.
    I can't remember if the RG7321 has the shallow pickup cavities or not? If so, you'll need to do some routing.

Also, some pickup tabs need to be slightly filed to fit right... so do some due diligence first.

9. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Aren't most Dimarzios triangle shaped tabs and pretty shallow?

10. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Resident Redneck

This. I bought my soldering iron and some solder for maybe $20, and really the wires coming of the pickups is long enough to practice with if you don't get it right the first time.

Another thing, I paid a shop to rewire my Les Paul because I used to have a job soldering shit for 10 hours a day and would just as soon stab myself in the face with a soldering iron as use one again. When I got home with it, it was real noisy and one of the tone knobs didn't work, so I opened it up and Ray Charles could have done a better job.

wakjob likes this.