i wanna set up my 7421

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by b16acrxer@aol.com, Jul 12, 2004.

1. b16acrxer@aol.com

b16acrxer@aol.com SS.org Regular

ive had my ibanez 7421 for a few years now....and never really gave much thought to setting it up until the other day i played a friends rg 6 string... and the action was so effortless on it....ive never played anything like that....anywayz i was wondering if i could set my 7421 to have action like that....do i need to have a nut made for it or have the frets lowered... or what?? the action isnt horrible but is adjusting the bridge pieces gonna do it for me??? does anyone else have a 7421 that they've done this to. by the way its got a emg 707 at the bridge. just throwing that out there cuz it would be nice to talk to someone with the exact same setup to see what they thought.

semi sheltered guitarist
    ronnie

2. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I'm not familiar with that model, but I assume it's a floyd/floating bridge?

I have a local luthier set my guitars up. He charges me $30 + strings, and I tell him "slam the action to the point just before it buzzes". Guy does a fantastic job, and I'm a huge fan of superlow action (especially since I'm a shred player).

Josh sets his own stuff up, so he might be able to shed a bit more light on it, but my advice is to look around for luthiers in your area. Setup and intonation's usually a 1-2 day turnaround and pretty cheap. Plus it's a great time to change up string gauges. :)

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

RG7421 is a fixed bridge model, its the slightly lower end version of the 7621, I Dont know that much about fixed bridge guitars (Never have owned one), so i cant help you besides that.

4. Chris D

Chris D Fiddich or Morangie???

Go to the "tech" section on www.ibanezrules.com it's got info about how to lower the action...
    It's not just the bridge saddles that need adjusting, to get it low without buzz you'll probably need to check the amount of neck bow & tweak the truss-rod.