I tried to make something Andy-Mckee-ish. What do you think of the composition?

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Bhowbhow123, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Bhowbhow123

Bhowbhow123 SS.org Regular

2. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

It's a good start but the harmony felt somewhat directionless, try building more tension and release in the piece.

3. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Impressive for a first composition. I agree with Lemons that the harmony could be a little more pointed, but I enjoyed how you handled the rhythm and register.

I personally would scrap those two chords at the end, unless you decided to use them before the B section. Part of composition is setting up expectations, then satisfying or denying those expectations. Those chords come out of nowhere and sound like they're tacked on rather than having an essential role in the composition. If you have them in at the beginning or the middle somewhere (I'd tend toward the middle; beginning sounds cheesy in my head), then the listener is able to say, "Ah, hey, that thing came back again."

4. Bhowbhow123

Bhowbhow123 SS.org Regular

Thank you so much guys for giving it a listen. I'll definitely try to do something about the last two chords as you've noted.