I think people nowadays care more about production than about the music...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by yidcorer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I have to say to some degree people should focus more on it. Bands with a bad mix are hard to listen to, Vildhjarta is a good example of that. The production quality isn't bad, but it is so low and over compressed that it makes my ears hurt and if you play it through mediocre speakers, almost in audible.

:wallbash:

2. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

I actually really liked the sound of the Vildhjarta demos, I'd be pretty happy if I could get my music to that quality.

3. getaway_fromme

getaway_fromme SS.org Regular

Without even reading the last few pages. I'll say this: you can't make a good mix without actual music of some kind, so the music is of course most important. Music can thrive without recording, whereas recording can't do anything on it's own. Case closed.

4. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

You can have a good mix even if the music is immature, bad, or just complete nonsense. That statement is false.

5. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well what I mean is it is good quality, but there is just something not entirely there for me. I think it just need more air if you know what I mean.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose...

6. fps

fps Kit

People may kill me, but I don't like the production on Devin Townsend's Deconstruction... so much replacement in the drums, it's so clean too, could really have benefited from a bit more dirt and sweat in the mix IMO.

I think home recording is producing a style of ultra compressed recording that totally sucks. And some metal doesn't work all perfect. I love Mastodon for instance, Leviathan and Blood Mountain clip, but it's the sound of a band blowing stuff up, so it works! Black metal doesn't work when everything is crystal either. A lot of metal is way too sanitised IMO.

7. JEBADIAH

JEBADIAH SS.org Regular

I agree, there is so much emphasis on production now the music really has suffered ,
    but on the flip side , when I hear a great tune with a stellar production I'm hooked

After all, the production is the "presentation" of the music,
    I think, in the long run, if you dig the music , you won't really bother too much of the Mixing chops.
    But I am not saying badly produced music should be the norm.