I think I'm done with Marshalls

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Fretwreck, May 16, 2018.

1. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

Can't pinpoint when it happened, but all I hear is fizz from these amps. I own a few, 2555X, 2203kk, DSL40CR. Don't really care for them all of a sudden. I used to love them. am I going nuts? Maybe losing my hearing? Their cabs maybe? Not sure. Anyone else experience this? for reference, one of the best tones I ever got was with a peavey 6534+ through a traynor cab with v30s. can't stand that head through the Marshall cab with G12T-75s. Maybe thats the problem.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Marshall cab with G12T-75s. Maybe thats the problem.

Those speakers are mid scooped with a lot of highs and presence, so that could make any amp found more fizzy overall.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Those 75's definitely aren't doing you any favors for smoothing out the tone :2c:

If you can, take one of your amps into a music store and try it through a few other cabs and speaker types. Maybe some Greenbacks will rekindle your love for those amps :idea:

Spaced Out Ace, wakjob, narad and 4 others like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Try an orange cab.

5. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

You know, I'm going to float an idea that is a bit strange.

Many amps I hear now are a bit fizzy in some capacity. Different manufacturers and models within brands.

I think it might be the tubes. Preamp tubes to be more specific.

Speakers may be playing a part in it to my ears too. I have very strongly moved away from Celestions over the past years.

Like above, I suggest you trying your heads with other speakers and even the same speakers in different cabs.

Fretwreck likes this.
  6. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

ya man I did. couldn't stand it. thin and bright. should have kept my traynor 4x12 with v30s. got rid of it and bought a Marshall 1936. just didn't need a 4x12. over kill. maybe a recto 2x12.

Dineley and Kyle Jordan like this.
  7. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

good advice gentlemen. rather try a different cab then sell all of them. see what happens.

8. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

Definitely try a speaker/cab swap. I wasn't getting the clarity I wanted in a certain freq. range with the v30s in my Orange cab, came to the realization through recording an album that I don't like v30s. So I swapped them for g12t-75s which I love. Ironic as you are considering going the other direction. But it makes sense as I wanted the fizz and scooped nature of the 75s that I wasn't getting from v30s.

EDIT: Love the smooshy 75 fizz.

0rimus and Kyle Jordan like this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It's the speakers. I would probably not even go with V30s but instead would look into Greenbacks or G12M Creambacks, those pair well with Marshalls. Also make sure you are playing those amps loud as Marshall can't seem to figure out how to make a decent master volume.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, Marshalls suck. Especially those stupid 2203KKs. You should just rid yourself of that nonsense for well under market value. I'll wait right here for when you make the right decision. :yesway:

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

they are shit.
    They had their time and since have been royally left in the dust.
    if you line up any metal head guitarist now, and infront of them stack Randall Satans, ENGls, EVH 5150's, Peavey's hell even dual recs etc...
    and then some marshalls. How many honestly think they would all run to the Marshalls?

johnucol likes this.
  12. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Marshalls are a bit too fizzy by nature.
    The place where I reharse with my band has a JCM 2000 with a 2x12 cab loaded with v30s and I can't get rid of that fizzy top end.
    Try a different cab with no v30s.

13. Zeriton

Zeriton SS.org Regular

That's such a non-point it's not even funny.

Rephrase the question.

If you line up any blues/80s rock/indie guitarist now, and infront of them stack Randall Satans, ENGLs, EVH, 5150s, Peavey's hell even dual recs etc... and then some marshalls. How many honestly think they would all run to the Marshalls?

Casper777, Blasphemer, wakjob and 2 others like this.
  14. Zeriton

Zeriton SS.org Regular

Sounds like speakers are your problem mate. Pair them with Greenbacks or maybe V30s and you're sorted.

Marshall want to be wound up and played in a mix. It's there they thrive.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don’t think they really want that business. :shrug:

Why throw another derivative amp into a niche market that’s currently racing to the bottom on price with a large amount of players moving to digital anyway?

The market is big enough that they don’t have to cater to every niche.

That said, you’re really selling thier amps short. The JCM800 is one of the best amps of all time, regardless of genera. It can do damn near everything, even with just your volume knob. I think you’d be surprised just how many of them make it onto metal recordings.

16. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I wish I had a JCM 800 as they are amazing. I have JCM 900 SLX basically was designed to be like a hotrodded JCM 800, and it's awesome.

Wish they had the same build quality as a Mesa Boogie, but tonally there's nothing wrong with a Marshall.

As much as I love my EVH I would almost consider using my Marshall as my main dirty sound and use my helix for clean and effects.

I wish more bands were using more Marshall stuff, would lead to some less stale sounds, I mean listen to Every Time I Die which is just a boosted 800 it punches you in the face so hard, get the right speakers and that JCM800KK will be your best friend.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

lmao the JVM410 fucking crushes, it definitely holds up to other modern high gain amps imo. Probably my favorite amp I've ever played besides my MK IV.
    Just because they're not en vogue with djent kiddies doesn't mean marshall doesn't still put out solid amps.

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What's your eq? Also worth noting that all marshalls are "bright" by nature. If you dont want that aspect at all, then yes its time to look at different companies :yesway:.

If the amp sounds fizzy, im guessing the treble and/or presence is way up, and that the volume is pretty low.

19. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Totally off-topic but I love the sound of a Plexi for mid gain soloing.

20. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Every tone you've ever liked on any record was secretly re-recorded by the studio engineer, with a Telecaster, through a Marshall, after the band went home.

Vyn, nedheftyfunk, Strobe and 6 others like this.