I screwed up really bad and I need help

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by EsC InSaNiTy, Dec 6, 2018.

1. EsC InSaNiTy

EsC InSaNiTy SS.org Regular

Hi, I really messed up a pickup install. Heres the story.

I bought some bareknuckle juggernaut 8s from bareknuckles website and upon receiving them, I realized they would not fit in my agile septor because the metal mounting plate that the screws go in to mount them to the guitar is too big and has square tabs instead of oval. Being an idiot and probably voiding my warranty, I trimmed down the metal plate with snips. Well guess what...it still doesn't fit and it looks terrible. The whole pickup is too big and the guitar would require routing to fit them. So I have a few questions.

1. Would the bareknuckle guys be nice enough to send me a new mounting plate if I contacted them?

I really want these pickups to fit and was planning on taking the guitar to a luthier and getting the cavitys routed to proper dimensions.

2. How hard is it to change the mounting plate if I could get them to send me a new one? From what I've read it just seems like I would have to unscrew the four screws and slowly peel it off the magnet, and resolder a ground wire onto the new plate.

3. How hard would it be and what would the estimated cost be for someone to route the pickup cavities out on the guitar to fit these pickups?

4. Assuming they cannot send a new plate out, Did I just screw myself out of $350? I can't see them taking the pickups back because I already botched the mounting plate on the bridge pickup. My warranty is probably void because I modified the mounting plate.

Also I would ask them on their forums but it wont let me register. Has anyone ever contacted them and received a new mounting plate?

2. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

You might not need a new baseplate. A good tech might be able to clean them up to an acceptable state and fit them without routing. It's possible to remove about .5 mm from each side of the plate without damage with the right touch, at least with the metal baseplates. I did this to a set of warpig 7s without issue. Not sure about the 8s.

As long as you didn't cut through the mounting hole or too close to it they should be fixable.

BearOnGuitar and LeviathanKiller like this.
  3. EsC InSaNiTy

EsC InSaNiTy SS.org Regular

Well I dont think it's the end of the world I actually am pretty good at soldering and have access to a bench grinder. I got the base plate off and plan on grinding it down to make it look good. Afterwards I'll take it to someone who can route the guitar for me. I'll ask bareknuckle about ordering another set of baseplates just incase.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Just Jersey doing Jersey stuff.

5. Mauled

Mauled SS.org Regular

Does anyone know the pole spacing for bareknuckle 8 string pickups? Bareknuckle themselves wont send me a new baseplate so I have to custom order it somehow.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Checked the Black Dog in my RG8, looks like 10mm between poles (measured from the center of one pole to the center of the one next to it).