I posted this as a blog, but i wanted to discuss it here...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Elysian, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Elysian

Elysian Banned

yeah i posted this on my myspace, but i think the people here are infinitely more intelligent than some of the people on my myspace :lol: so here goes:

was just watching CNN, and they had done a poll, and 60% of people disapprove of the war in iraq now! 36% of people approve, so i'm guessing the other 4% is undecided. if so many people disapprove, wtf are we still doing there? i thought this was a government for the people by the people? where is my say? in my vote that ultimately winds up meaning nothing because of the electoral college? or congressman that chances are i don't agree with, but they speak for me anyways? this government is going down the wrong path, it is no longer for the people, its for big business, for corporations. if it were for the people, then things like the patriot act would have never happened, and we for sure wouldn't be in iraq right now. we went to iraq on false intelligence, had no justification, and now the official reason is spreading democracy? iraq doesn't seem to want democracy, at least thats what it looks like from here... our government shouldn't be taking OUR military around the globe spreading their idiologies, forcing our style of government on countries that don't want it. this shit is getting old, some day the people of the US will have enough, and stop being sheep, and do something about this crap.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yep, welcome to 20th century america. I don't even know where to begin... The government is a government for big corporations because we HAVE bigger corporations than at just about any point in the nation's history - anti-trust laws essentially have no teeth left, and are basically unenforced. We went to war on trumped-up justifications and then did a bait and switch to justify staying because we have a president who believes he's on a mission from God, and is justified in doing anything to get the results he's looking for, as if the ends are good enough the means are always worth it.

The Republican party is done in 2006 - Bush has done a good enough job of losing the midterm elections so that it's going to take a miracle to NOT lose control of the house and senate. And the GOP party elite are no better. Hell, the Dems just sucessfully sued to keep Frist on the ballot in Texas, because he does more damage there than off it.

The real question is, will the Democrats do any better?

Oh, you missed the fact that our national debt is at record levels, a mere 6 years after Clinton gave us a balanced budget. ;)

The short answer, though, is if you want to see change, then vote. And if you want to see more change, then run for elected office. Start local, work your way up. The system is fucked, but you're better able to fix it from within than without.

Samer likes this.
  3. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

:agreed: Yep. Remember, in 2002, Bush was sitting at like +80% approval ratings, the GOP controlled every-fucking-thing (they still do... for the moment), and the American sheep, er, people, would buy just about anything the Republicans sold us. Including a bunch of bogus, pseudo-populist 'morality' legislation, which the conveniently used as red herring to retain power, to better serve their corporate masters. (Hello, ExxonMobile, anyone? :wavey: Unprecedented profits. That's just the tip of the tip of the iceberg.) Which they promplty generally ignored when retaining power, by a much narrower margin, in 2004.

So, essentially, this is the year of reckoning, when all of that dissatisfaction will (hopefully) be evident. At the polls. ;)

4. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i hope the democrats can do better, but i don't have a lot of faith in the whole system anymore...

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The system is just as good as the people in it. Right now, the people aren't so hot. :/

Still, it's one of the best forms of government out there, in terms of the amount of say we as citizens have in how we're governed. I mean, we;re talking about the '06 elections as retribution for the last four years, right? At least we CAN retribute towards legislaters who step outside what we consider their mandate, you know?

I've got mixed hopes for the '06 elections, but they're probably best summarized by "How could the democrats possibly do any worse?"

6. The Dark Wolf

What a sad state of affairs. :lol:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: I'm a born cynic. I'm perfectly cool with the view from the bottom - call it dark optimism, that we can only go up from here. :D

8. The Dark Wolf

V
    Birds of a feather. :lol: No wonder we get along.